Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

that`ll happen

ddigger · 2009-03-20 22:46

Lost a seal in a drive motor, which then leaks into the final and then puts presure in it and blows the seals in the final. Happened on tuesday put it all back together today (Friday). Not to bad considering 18,000 hrs on the machine the last time I had to reseal one was in 03. Just part of the joys of ownership. At least with the job I`m on the work could wait for me.

Replies3
  1. #1joispoi2009-03-21 06:09

    Looks like you had pretty nice weather while you were wrenching. Around these parts, a final drive isn´t always a field repair. If your machine breaks down around here, you can be sure that it´s raining and most likely raining sideways...but that´s a good thing because it keeps the sand from blowing around.:drinkup

  2. #2bill onthehill2009-03-21 06:45

    I was thinking the same thing. It sure is nice to breakdown on level and paved ground. I am not that lucky! Most times your sitting on a hill and deep in the mud when something decides to break. I see you keep things pretty well clean on your machine. Makes a big difference when you have to wrench on it away from the shop.

  3. #3ddigger2009-03-21 19:26

    You guys are right about the weather and location, its not often a guy gets a break like that. As far as working on it in the road, as were backing out of the job the roads and walks all get removed. Thanks for mentioning the state of the machine I do make quite a effort to keep it clean and leak free. Most are always surprised that its got 18,000 hrs on her.