Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thawing out your tracks

landrvrnut22 ยท 2008-01-03 15:45

It has been in the teens here lately, and one of the subcontractors showed me a new way to thaw out the tracks on your mini. You learn something new everyday.

Replies11
  1. #1will_gurt2008-01-03 15:57

    What I have done in the past is very similar. I would take a covering of what ever was available and covewr the fan area. Then direct the air flow from the fan onto the track area.. Always would work for me.

  2. #2thejdman042008-01-03 17:15

    :notworthy nice

  3. #3Steve Frazier2008-01-03 17:16

    I've done the same for my equipment with the truck exhaust. Doesn't take very long either!!

  4. #4Dusty2008-01-03 17:22

    sweet trick

  5. #5xcavate772008-01-03 17:35

    be sure to stick it in the tracks and not the cab

  6. #6rino14942008-01-03 19:04

    This is what I use......... http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

  7. #7digger242j2008-01-03 20:46

    I've done the same thing to the rear brakes on a truck. And, most recently, to the key switch on a mini-ex. I had to use a cigarette lighter to thaw the switch first thing in the morning, but it didn't dry out inside. By the end of the day, it froze up again, with the machine running. I had to thaw it out with exhaust to shut it off.)

  8. #8landrvrnut222008-01-03 21:21

    And this is what I use also, but this guy, well he uses his skid steer. I have never seen someone do this, and I just had to take a picture and post it. I will admit, it worked quite well.

  9. #9surfer-joe2008-01-03 21:30

    Better to clean out your tracks and roller frames at the end of the shift when things are still warm and pliable. Park crawler machines on hard surface or tires, even conveyor belting or cribbing. Beats the heck out of fighting frozen muck and inmovable rollers. You may have to clean out a couple of times a day. Depends how much time you want to lose thawing out on the next shift.

  10. #10DirtHauler2008-01-03 21:40

    LMAO when I first looked to the photo I thought it was a hydrolic breaker on the front of the bobcat hammering on the tracks. Exhaust is a good idea, I had not thought of that one.

  11. #1195zIV2008-01-05 14:31

    I saw a guy thaw out a fuel pump at a fuel station that way one day. I had one of those here's your sign moments, asked him why he didn't just use a salamander or the likes,:Banghead he looked at me like I had two heads and said this way I don't blow myself up. ointhead