Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Beauty and The Beast, and a big trailer.

JTL ยท 2010-03-07 18:04

I took these pics this morning of Lampsons Beauty and The Beast down at the Port of Benton, jsut outside Richland, WA. These are some serious lowboy tractors!

Replies20
  1. #1JTL2010-03-07 18:09

    A few more.

  2. #2Speedpup2010-03-07 19:57

    How does it turn? thanks

  3. #3jimmyjack2010-03-07 21:32

    would love to drive that:drinkup:drinkup

  4. #4tonka2010-03-07 22:30

    How does what turn? the pusher? or the Dollies?

  5. #5absolutediesel2010-03-07 22:41

    lol the whole damn thing!

  6. #6580bruce2010-03-07 22:49

    Great pics! Love to see the old Lampson rigs at the Hydro Races!

  7. #7Contract Logger2010-03-07 22:57

    Awesome. Love it! Never been to their place, but I've seen the name around my whole life.

  8. #8JTL2010-03-07 22:57

    I was looking at Horible Harv pretty close trying to figure that out. From what I could tell its a skid steer.:beatsme

  9. #9tripper_1742010-03-07 22:59

    What do they move with these things?

  10. #10JTL2010-03-07 23:10

    A couple years ago, we used Lampson to mave our 5110 in one piece out to a job on the Hanford site. Im pretty sure they used a smaller outfit than Beauty and the Beast. I wasnt there, so I dont know for sure. I know they have moved old spent nuclear reactors from old retired ships out to the site to be buried. They unload them off of barges on the Columbia River, which is right there. About 7 years ago, the first time I ever worked out at Hanford there was a big ringer crane set up right next to the water. I have some film pics of the iron I need to get scanned some day.

  11. #11Lashlander2010-03-08 12:16

    That giant Skidsteer looks like a Melroe Rubber Tired Dozer with out the blade.

  12. #12excav8r2010-03-08 12:50

    The cab on it kind of resembles the cab on a harbor tug boat

  13. #13DPete2010-03-08 13:38

    Cool stuff, talk about heavy duty! Lashlander, glad to hear from ya

  14. #14kenworth2010-03-08 14:09

    Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting them. That equipment is something that you won't hardly ever see.

  15. #15Big Iron2010-03-08 15:33

    your pretty close Lash. it was built by Melroe for ARCO on the slope. we nicknamed it kermit the grave digger. it pushed/pulled like crazy in a straight line, but would bury itself in a corner if you weren't right on top of it. if i recall it had twin v-8 cats (450hp) for power. the operators seat rotated 360 and it had controls on both ends. little history on the PM,s, they are hendrickson DPM360,s (unballested they weigh 360,000# each) powered by vt1710 v-12 Cummings (750 to 800hp) 8 forward 4 reverse Clark trans and some huge planetary rear-ends. they too were built for ARCO to move modules on the slope and used to be ARCO green the trailers are either Schurle or Goldhoffers, can't tell with the new paint. i believe they have enough trailer modules to get to about 4000 tn I will add the fun last about 30 minutes, then the 5mph speed, noise and heat tend to diminish the fun a little

  16. #16JTL2010-03-08 20:33

    Thanks for the info Big Iron! I was wondering what engine was in the Hendricksons. The Beast didnt have engine doors on it, but I couldnt find any tags or anything on it. The skid steer truck does have two V-8 Cats. They pre-dated the 3408 thats for sure.

  17. #17Dozerboy2010-03-09 08:35

    Wow whats with all the extra weight on those "trucks" just for traction?

  18. #18Big Iron2010-03-09 10:34

    yes, we ran 100 tns of ballast on them at times

  19. #19hvy 1ton2010-03-09 14:37

    That's the first thing i thought of too. Being a skidsteer i could see things going really wrong if the ground got soft.

  20. #20stock2010-03-09 19:36

    Fantastic gear don't see much of that over on this piece of real estate.