Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

the best hoe

brandt pc400 ยท 2008-07-11 19:37

OK boys who makes the best hoe? cat:beatsme komatsu:beatsme deere:beatsme

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies42
  1. #1[-Agent-]2008-07-11 19:39

    Cat! Kitty Power. I just like them better.

  2. #2Dirtman20072008-07-11 21:12

    They all have their good sides, but those are probably the three most expensive brands from what i've seen. I really like the 210 Volvo that I run. it's it just me, but do the deere's in the cl version sound so much louder than other machines for the same size?

  3. #3JimBruce422008-07-11 21:28

    I've only really ran Cat's and Komatsu's, of those two I would say I prefer Cats hands down. That being said I hear from a lot of guys that the Deere's are hard to beat for stability and power.

  4. #4Leadfoot2008-07-11 21:34

    I prefer Volvo, I like the fuel economy and cab interiors and those really nice pilot control joysticks!

  5. #5Dirtman20072008-07-11 22:24

    Their smooth arn't they! Try dragging a brick across a concrete pad or slab. most likely the tooth will never hit the concrete, try with some other brands and you'll see some teeth scrape marks!

  6. #6Iron Horse2008-07-11 22:29

    Are all Volvo's rebadged Samsung's or just some ?

  7. #7brandt pc4002008-07-11 23:03

    Are thay relly that smooth? I have never been in a volvo I would like to get in 460lc. thay say it is comparible to a pc400:beatsme

  8. #8stretch2008-07-11 23:35

    Those 460's seem real nice...Stamford Wrecking here in CT has two and one on order...a friend of ours who works for Tyler Equipment (dealer) says they are pretty happy with them. Here's a video of one of them working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj-lK-ldjxc From what I hear, Volvos are pretty well favored around here. I'd have to say that the majority of contractors, large and small, seem to enjoy the quality of them. I can personally attest to how smooth and quiet they are-when one was working next door, I did not wake up until the alarm clock did. And that was with the windows open.

  9. #9biggixxerjim2008-07-12 14:06

    yeah when we demo'd a 330clc the motor was super noisy

  10. #10AtlasRob2008-07-12 14:34

    They have thier Friday machines also. Same as most manufactures its a bit like statistics, you can make them show whatever you want An ex employer had 2 Volvo 210lc delivered on the same day. 1 was a joy to operate, the other was a complete nightmare. I am reliably informed the 140B are a nightmare to grade with, everything else about them are great but an owner op I know says :Banghead when it comes to final trim or grading. :beatsme I operated a Volvo 360lc and found it a very capable machine.

  11. #11AtlasRob2008-07-12 14:44

    To pinch somebody elses quote on another thread, the best one is the one thats 'paid for' Personally I think you will have to agree to disagree as each and everyone of us will have a favourate depending on what we are trying to achieve and as most of us haven't had the chance to do a side by side size comparison it will be difficult to judge. BUT fire away anyway opcorn Me, C@t 245 long lever funny cab :stirthepot :ban no cant say that as I dont think they make the BEST exc.

  12. #12JimBruce422008-07-12 15:07

    They are about the same size, though the Volvo might have a little more weight, those as well as the Cat 345 and JD/Hitachi 450's are in the same class. We've demo-ed a new 460c, they definitely look impressive, with a boom stick that look much more robust than our 345's. Could be why I hear it's a little front heavy.:beatsme I believe the "A-series" were, as far as I understand it, the B's and new C's are Volvo.

  13. #13cat 3852008-07-12 15:51

    i like the cat hoes, never ran a volvo hoe, but i have a volvo truck and loader the only deer hoe i've ran was a 750,it was quick but the pump noise drove me crazy.

  14. #14sfc2008-07-12 16:24

    I have run the rest but for cost of ownership and content drivers i keep to the best cat

  15. #15Rockbreaker2008-07-12 16:29

    I like Volvo and CAT the best but... Neer run other brands for more than a week so i haven`t really the expirience to tell so much about them ( Or maybe best to let it be gone?) And i totally understand that what makes you happy to drive could be long from my likes too:IMO:exactly

  16. #16dirthog282008-07-12 17:25

    You sure can't do that with a Volvo backhoe, you'll be replacing that whole concrete slab. And know it ain't just me!

  17. #17Burnout2008-07-12 20:15

    Whoever wondered if the C LC versions of the Deere machines are louder than their counterparts by other companies..... yeah they are. It's a John Deere thing. I got re-acquianted with our 270C LC Deere the other day and rememebred what its like to run a real hoe. Most of our fleet of excavators is Cat... as in 5 of about 50-60 machines are Deere. We also have 1 Link Belt and 1 Case, and some Komatsu's mixed in as well. The Cat's are the best in most guys eyes. I watched our mainline hoe operator who runs our 385 the other day jump in the 270 and the first thing he complained about was the swing was too fast, hydraulic too jerky and the engine was too noisy. I jumped back in it for a bit and continued digging. After lunch we had to move some topsoil, so we had a little dig off. The 270 against a 330CL Cat. Both machines have relatively the same bucket, both machines are right around 7100hrs and the little Deere made that Cat look silly. I will definately take a Deere anyday of the week. Komatsu makes a nice machine but even with our PC1250's I find the cab cheap and noisy. The Cat's are nice but someone tell me why the decals and paint are coming off a '07 385CL and yet a '77 245 still has decent paint (under 4" of grease).????

  18. #18tonka2008-07-12 21:46

    Deere 200clc, just my 2cents!

  19. #19xalexjx2008-07-13 08:01

    Kobelco, they seem to run for ever if maintained well.

  20. #20knucklehead982008-07-13 10:14

    I prefer the Volvos and the Hitachis.

  21. #21biggixxerjim2008-07-13 11:00

    Deere and Cat. I dont really like the Komatsu's either; they do feel cheap, the boom and stick dont look as rugged as a cat or Deere either

  22. #22Reuben2008-07-13 11:49

    I love our kobelcos!!!! they are so incredibly FAST. I have ran other brands and they are all great but it is my opinion that the kobelcos are a better machine all around. I honestly would like to get some time on a komutsu. We are still looking to purchase a 160-170 class machine. My brother seems to like the kobelcos also so more then likely we will leave well enough alone. I would just LOVE to see a short radius 160 -170 class machine. The short tails are worth every single nickle. They are much safer, operators have one less thing to worry about so they are more productive, they are actually more stable digging with the tracks then their standard tail siblings ( if you dont believe that check the stats). So yeah kobelcos are my pick

  23. #23CascadeScaper2008-07-14 01:06

    I'm a Cat guy, I've run lots and lots of Cat excavators; almost all the minis, at least 10 different 312CL's, couple B series 311-312's, couple 315's both B and C series, couple B and C series 320's. I like them alright, can't really find a whole lot to complain about. I ran a buddy's Hitachi ZX120 that I liked, I would assume the Deere counterpart would be essentially the same experience minus the difference in powerplants. I liked the older Kobelcos, got a chance to run a new SK210 and didn't like it a whole lot. Could have been that I was only in it for about ten minutes, but I absolutely hated how slow the swing was. Well, the swing was fast after you grind along super slow for 2-3 seconds before she starts moving along quick, by that time you're already where you need to be and the speed is of no use. At least that was my opinion of the machine for a quick run, I'd like to get back in one for a longer test run and see if I can't salvage my joy for Kobelco because I loved the Mark IV's.

  24. #24Wolf2008-07-15 13:22

    Operator Makes the Difference It seems like there are so many good machines out there nowadays. But really, it's the quality of the operator that makes all the difference. Put a bad operator in a great machine, and it ain't gonna run too good. Put a great operator in a mediocre machine, and he'll get it running efficiently. Might be a little maddening to him, but he'll do an efficient job for sure.

  25. #25Sparffo2008-07-15 16:33

    Wolf! you are soooo right on this one!! and a bad operator will make a good machine bad in no time... there is not a big diffrence in the machines any more, some models are good others less good, but mostly any machine is quite good these days. the difference is the price to keep it running, fuel, spares and the service. some machines has a no existent back up if it breaks, i would say thats bad! but stiff joy sticks are a good way to take an early retirement because of worn out body, but maybe the next generation of hoes will be mind controlled? Dozer575, do you have an opinion on that one?

  26. #26tonka2008-07-15 17:45

    The best hoe is the one who puts out ........ dirt....get your minds out of the gutter!

  27. #27Wolf2008-07-15 18:50

    very good, tonka.

  28. #28hoeman6002008-07-15 19:44

    burnout I knew I liked you for some reason.:beatsme we have a 450 d on demo its smokin all the cat 345sss love deere kill cats

  29. #29JimBruce422008-07-15 20:04

    Man I leave that Hatfield job and you get a John Deere hoe...:beatsme Dirt or pipe guys using it? Got any pics of it?:cool2

  30. #30hoeman6002008-07-16 20:01

    rich has it now i have dericks hoe we had a krapmatsu 400 also. i guess its mine for now

  31. #31hoeman6002008-07-16 20:03

    i have lots of picts but lost the card holder for my phone card. ill take picts of the 450D tommrow k

  32. #32HoJay2008-07-16 20:46

    hey hoeman, looks like ya got some pretty deadly clay/shale there. nice pics by the way. Just curious but how do you find the 6 tooth bucket opposesd to the 4 or 5 tooth buckets, does the extra tooth seem to help break up clumpy material or is it more of hinderance when it comes to penetration?

  33. #33brandt pc4002008-07-16 21:11

    Hey hoeman is that a -7 or -8 What's faster 450D or pc400?

  34. #34hoeman6002008-07-17 05:04

    its a 5 yrd bucket heaped on a cat 345b and the deere smokes the 400. were gettin the 345D next. we had the volvo 460 it controled nice but was a dog in the shale. and last but not least 3,4,5,6. dont matter to me as long as their sharp. we have mild spade noses on our mass ex'es witch helps in shale. this basin was blasted so diggin's easy

  35. #35JimBruce422008-07-17 05:33

    Pretty nice photos for a phone camera:notworthy That 345 still a speed demon when booming up? Komatsu musta been a great preformer, I think the 460c was still there when I left, and you're already on to the Deere... how long is the JD gonna stay on site till the new 345 shows up? Good to hear they finally blasted more than just the pipe runs on that job:Banghead

  36. #36hoeman6002008-07-17 17:20

    hers some of the deere and a couple others. 1st one is my 345

  37. #37312King2008-07-17 21:09

    I love the cats the best. Plus when it comes to getting parts u can get anything usually with in 24hours.

  38. #38JimBruce422008-07-17 21:29

    Great pics, what kind of quick coupler is that on the Deere?

  39. #39hoeman6002008-07-18 16:43

    esco jim.

  40. #40JimBruce422008-07-18 18:24

    Thanks for the info, Hope the 450 works out, I wouldn't mind seeing more Deeres in the fleet, and possibly getting to run one eventually.

  41. #41tim the toolman2008-07-31 17:28

    Used to work for a excavating company, had more problems with Cat with 6000hrs than a Komatsu with 12000hrs.

  42. #42j.d.m.grading2008-07-31 17:29

    volvo ec330 is what im running right now its a nice hoe