Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The best place to buy Tools for the Shop

maquinariawiebe ยท 2011-03-15 13:21

I am looking to buy lots of tools for the shop. I prefer to buy all my tools online. Large wrench set, pipe wrench's, jacks, etc. Where would be the best place to shop for all my tool needs ?

Replies12
  1. #1Justin2011-03-15 14:25

    out of curiosity why do you like to by them on line? I always like to be able to look at somthing in person to make sure of quality and if it's what I think it is. How ever I have bought some tool off of ebay with good luck and decent pricing.

  2. #2maquinariawiebe2011-03-15 15:29

    I buy online becuase of prices, the brand, etc. The guys in purchasing usually take care of buying tools from ebay, I just thought there would be an online store where I could buy everything at once.

  3. #3heavylift2011-03-16 16:53

    Yard sale... auctions... flea markets are the best bet for bargains... pawn shops were at one time a good place... but now they too... want full blown retail for tools... any used tool ... still has the same warranty as a new... there used to be a traveling tool truck... bought lots of tools off it... cheap tools... I broke a ratchet that was 25 years old... contacted the company.. although I was out the shipping to them... still better than 50 plus bucks for a new ratchet

  4. #4Water Doc2011-03-16 19:37

    This suggestion should roust out any fellow Canadians... Princess Auto Not so much for smaller daily used hand tools but more for large wrenches, stands, pipe wrenches, jacks.. ect.. Amazing return policy. Where else can you bring back a broken pressure washer with no receipt to a different branch and be asked no questions. Just a sorry for the inconvenience.

  5. #5Abscraperguy2011-03-17 00:02

    Ya it's great if you don't mind returning the broken pieces every other day. I've bought a quite a bit of stuff there in times past but not much anymore. I bought a chisel there once. The second day it entirely blew apart and imbedded a nice sharp chunk in my cheek. I'm talking about the top cheeks, mind you. People think Princess Auto is cheap but if you have an account at a local hardware or parts store they'll always be about the same price on better stuff and on some stuff like bearings, logging chain etc they'll blow Princess Auto out of the water.

  6. #6Colorado Digger2011-03-17 00:42

    tools shovel, rakes, picks i buy at lowes or home depot. the special super thick brooms we order from a nursery supplier(a.m leonerd) princess tools must be the canadadien "harbor freight" i am guilty we buy a ton of crap there. it is cheap, has a good warranty. they have jack stands and all types of jacks, port a powers.. all that type of b.s. i like northern as well it is just way more expensive. laser's we use rocky mountain laser cutting edges- rocky mountain supply everything else- junkyard- pawnshop- buddies parked iron- whatever it takes. oil and such is also a big ticket item- we use siegal

  7. #7Water Doc2011-03-17 08:55

    Like i said, not so much for the smaller daily use hand tools. Although i've had pretty good luck with some of the smaller stuff from there. I've got a set of 3/8" drive chrome deep sockets that i bought on special ($1.98 7pc set) because it was cheaper to buy the set then the 1 i needed to replace a lost socket out of another set. I've had that set for.. almost 10 years now and have yet to break one and they get daily use. I've had them on both my 3/8" and 1/2" impact guns doing things that they were never intended for. They have some SK tools, I've seen Sunnex and Lisle there as well. Like anything, you have to take a look at it and see if it's going to fit the use you have for it. Pricing wise, I typically only buy things from them when they are on sale. The older I get, the cheaper I get.. so come to think about it.. I only buy things when they are on sale anywhere now. And besides.. what red blooded Canadian man doesn't like to spend some time wandering around a PA I've never been to a Harbor Freight, but I imagine it's similar mostly offshore built discount tools.

  8. #8maquinariawiebe2011-03-17 13:49

    Thanks for the suggestions. What would you guys recommend in terms of large wrenches? We use stanley tools lots. Life Time warranty.

  9. #9RobVG2011-03-17 20:43

    We have a large industrial surplus and supply store in downtown Seattle. Lots of big tools and really cool stuff. You might want to look for one in your area.

  10. #10buddy6052011-03-17 21:00

    Princess Auto Sucks I have seen a deisel plate tamper distroyed because of their brand new chain. they were lifting it with a excavator and the operator started swinging it and then he stoped but the plate tamper did not. and I wore out a set of jaws on a 18 inch pipe wrench and I just want to tighten a air meter every 6 months with it. Crappy Tire for me I watch the flyer every friday and do not pay full price for nothing and they have a good retun policy

  11. #11Abscraperguy2011-03-17 22:57

    When buying good quality name brand tools I check Ebay Amazon Nextag Thefind etc. Like good stuff ( to replace the stuff that I bought at Ukrainian Tire aka Princess Auto). Don't flame me for being racist. A Ukrainian told me that one. Canadian Tire's Mastercraft brand is decent bang for the buck on the low end but I wouldn't buy them for a mechanic.

  12. #12Greg2011-03-19 14:06

    I have been buying mostly on line unless I need it quick. I have a lot of SK and Wright in the box. No local distributer for Wright so I get those from Ebay. Prices seem to be reasonable, at least to me. The SK stuff I can get through my local auto parts store or on Ebay also. The SK stuff on ebay is a better deal. I also pick up some SK used on Ebay. The warranty is the same even if used, take it in they give me a new one. The good stuff stays in the shop unless I absolutely have to take it out on a job. I have a mish mash of stuff which includes Thorsen and Craftsman which stays on the truck for fixing thing out on the job. If that gets lost I don't feel so bad and I replace it with used stuff I pick up mostly at auctions for cheap prices. Nothing beats having good high quality when you are tearing into something (tearing is probably not the right word here). That is why I have always bought based on quality and what I consider good value for the money rather than on price.