Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Caterpillar Clicker Box Video

John C. ยท 2018-07-05 20:14

I produced this video with older Cat product lines that used this tool in mind. Most of the new stuff like "T" model dozers and "H" model wheel loaders have everything in the machine now. At any rate I produced this video using a D7R dozer so will put the video link here. I show the normal display you see on the monitor panel using the button or rocker on the dash panel and then hook up the clicker box and show a little of what can be done without a lap top and expensive subscription for the software. If it helps you in any way please click like on the video page. Let me know what you think.

Replies9
  1. #1kshansen2018-07-06 07:32

    Not sure if I still have it but at one time I had a instruction sheet that told how to make your own "Clicker Box". It's a simple thing to make as all you need is three of the right type of toggle switches and some wire and one plug connector. Might even be something online about building one! I see one for sale on Ebay for about $460.00! quie a price for a plastic box with three toggle switches a bit of wire and a Deutsch plug or two!

  2. #2John C.2018-07-06 10:15

    I got the one in the video a few years back for just over $100.

  3. #3kshansen2018-07-06 17:57

    For that price I would say it would not be worth the effort to scrounge up parts and make your own! I'll have to see what the current Cat Store wants for one. Just checked and the local store is asking $366.22

  4. #4kshansen2018-07-06 18:11

    I do have the 11 page instruction on the clicker box that included information on updating an earlier version to the current version if anyone is interested. It is in PDF format.

  5. #5Darrell hocutt2018-07-06 22:23

    Yes I would be interested in PDF

  6. #6Mark2502018-07-07 05:32

    Hi ,to all that are interested I posted the how to make a clicker box on this thread HeavyEquipmentForums Mark

  7. #7kshansen2018-07-07 08:14

    Mark, I knew I had seen that but I guess I had failed to save a copy at that time! I've saved it this time just need to remember where I file it!

  8. #8MHDim2018-07-08 09:52

    I've gotten so used to working with it on the M, N, R-series (etc) dozers, that nowadays, 99% of the time I don't even bother to unpack / connect the communications adapter and hook up the laptop. Calibrations work like a dream, and somewhere in my phone (which is most of the time in my pocket), I've saved PDF files with basic descriptions of error codes and identifiers of the sensors feeding the Component Data Display, so I can check values at a glance (although I guess I know half of them by heart already...) ET & the Comm. Adapter are only really useful when you need to check if certain service codes become active/inactive intermittently at very short intervals (for ex. due to vibration when traveling), or when you must see multiple sensor readouts at once, in real time (for ex., TC + transmission intermediate / output speeds, and/or transmission solenoid currents etc). The rest of the time... the clicker box is one of my favorite tools. One of the moments of sheer brilliance in Cat engineering/design (not that they don't have their share of silly ideas)...

  9. #9kshansen2018-07-08 10:15

    Darrell I sent you a private message, click in the envelope thingy up near the top of page off to the right!