Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The cutting edges on my rock bucket keep coming loose . Tack weld ?

bigrich954rr · 2020-12-04 21:01

I tighten them up again and thinking of tack welding them ? Also do any of your hard face a v in front of the nut side to help from wearing the nut and threads off? the locking edge of the nut wears off first

Replies6
  1. #1scottwolowich2020-12-04 22:51

    If they keep coming loose I'd probably just weld it. You could hard face to protect the bolts but by the time the cutting edge is worn out I'd probably just be cutting off the old hardware rather than trying to save it.

  2. #2skyking12020-12-04 23:13

    Yes I cut the last set of bolts off. Do you have interference nuts or nylocks? Nylocks are not going to hold up.

  3. #356wrench2020-12-05 10:00

    i never used locknuts, only 2H nuts( more face surface area and deeper). once the holes wallow out they won't stay tight with any means and any tack welds will likely break

  4. #4Jonas3022020-12-05 10:20

    Make sure everything is clean no dirt or rust scale between the bucket and the edge dont just snug it back down as there will be dirt in the joint use only high grade cutting edge bolts and oversize nuts and beat them down with a big impact if you dont have air and a big gun out there use a sledge hammer and sledge wrench to tighten When hard facing I do lay some in front of the nuts to protect the base pad if you have guys tearing up the base pad with a torch its going to cause problems

  5. #5bigrich954rr2020-12-06 02:42

    Yeah I’m using a three-quarter impact. They’re metal interference nuts but the top of the nut with the crimp is where it wears off first. there 12.9 grade bolts but I never checked the holes. But the nuts do look cheap

  6. #6Nige2020-12-06 09:01

    How is the surface where the sidecutters mount.? Is it clean and flat..? If it ain't you'll never keep GET tight whatever hardware you use and no matter how hard you tighten it.