Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Energizer Bunny

RZucker · 2018-12-07 00:14

This old girl just rolled 1.6 million miles. I've been the care taker since 2006. See it about twice a month for PM, last week we did all 4 rear brakes and hubs. New camshafts,bushings,slacks, the full meal deal. Amazing that for a 1996 it's still a primary tractor on the road everyday.

Replies24
  1. #1RZucker2018-12-07 00:23

    I guess I should add that it has a mostly original 12L series 60 with a ten speed. Rods, mains, and a cylinder head over a few years. Hope I don't jinx it.

  2. #2Ronsii2018-12-07 00:31

    What... a series 60 and no injectors???

  3. #3RZucker2018-12-07 00:44

    Oh, yes a few injectors over the years. And an injector harness... and... a jake rebuild. Kind of like the hammer story I guess. New handles, the a new hammerhead, but it's all original.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-12-07 07:08

    My very first truck was one like that, little bunk. N14, 9 speed. Lite rollover. Fixed it up and ran it for a couple years. Sold it to a farmer friend in 2002, he’s still running it! It was geared tall....took a bit to get rolling but you could go gate to gate on the turnpike might quick! I bet it’s still tip top in large part due to your efforts!

  5. #5Vetech632018-12-07 07:37

    They dam sure don't make them like they used to. Super nice rig!

  6. #6RZucker2018-12-08 00:29

    It's not super nice, got a few rough edges. some of the chrome around the grill has rattled off. had to do all the door latches awhile back, if you hit the right bump the drivers door popped open. need to rebuild the steering column soon. But its a good old reliable truck that keeps keeping on doing what it is supposed to be doing. it was an ex Safeway rig when they bought it, so there was a well maintained foundation to start with. Two years ago it was just a "spare truck", now it's on the road every day.

  7. #7Junkyard2018-12-08 00:31

    Those old corn queen cabs leave a bit to be desired but they’re not any worse than others I suppose.

  8. #8RZucker2018-12-08 01:13

    Yeah, no legroom, clutch pedal midway up your shin. Plenty wide cab but no front to back room. I'm kind of a Peterbilt guy, but I did like my old '86 Freightliner 12064 cab. Legroom wasn't bad, clutch pedal through the floor wasn't bad, plenty of room to get the seat away from the steering wheel. All in all a decent setup.

  9. #9Truck Shop2018-12-08 19:01

    Being it's an ex Safeway I'm betting that trans is a Spicer/Rockwell. Safeway bought many of those with those brands of transmission. Truck Shop

  10. #10RZucker2018-12-08 19:17

    Yep, that's the trans. I think it's still the original. I remember in the late 80's Jack Johnson had a few ex Safeway Freightliner cabovers with 1693's that they were putting 13 speeds in for Taggares. I really don't know why the 10 speeds weren't good enough for field trucks.

  11. #11Truck Shop2018-12-08 20:58

    If that trans takes a dump just get another one, expensive to rebuild and a pain in the ***. Or put 10spd C Eaton in it. Truck Shop

  12. #12Birken Vogt2018-12-08 21:23

    What kind of transmission, what shift pattern?

  13. #13RZucker2018-12-21 19:36

    I'll be able to verify that next week, It's sitting in the yard with a clutch problem, won't fully release and the adjustments are perfect. I suspect the center plate is warped or a disc has cracked and overlapped.

  14. #14DMiller2019-01-08 15:44

    Likely dropped rivets from a center spline hub or rebound spring chunks, binds the center plate in place. Corn queens were always homely.

  15. #15RZucker2019-01-08 20:00

    Oops, forgot to update this. Stupid 2 piece clutch brake came apart and lobbed a chunk into the clutch cover blocking full release. I don't care what the customer wants... their never getting anything but a solid Torque limit brake again unless I find a Spanish speaker that can do clutch brake school for drivers.

  16. #16DMiller2019-01-09 15:13

    Lost the Cl Brk on the Pete I was driving, got it to the regular maintenance shop he used, told them had failed, foreman asked a myriad of questions then had me pull in, damned if it was not just GONE. Put in another two piece, good short time units but eventually die.

  17. #17RZucker2019-01-10 00:13

    I do think that right there is a good reason to leave the dust cover off the bottom of the clutch housing.

  18. #18JPV2019-01-11 22:18

    I like these, they last about a year if adjusted properly and can be changed in a few minutes. Leave the dust cover off so they fall out if they fail, just reach up there with a pair of straight oil filter pliers and snap it on. Longhood Kenworths are about the worst I have come across to change because of the cross member right under the hole and I look after a few, these save me time even though I probably change more of them than something that might last longer.

  19. #19RZucker2019-01-11 22:37

    I might try these... But I hate most of them when the customers abusive driver blows them out a week later. And I set them to where they barely work unless you have a strong leg. Had one guy bring me a truck 3 times and swore the brake didn't work. I got in, fired it up and slipped it into gear several times with no problems. The driver got angry and said "no,no,no, that's not the problem". We had a bit of a language barrier here. I finally said "Show me". We ended up going for a drive? Then he shows me he's trying to use the clutch brake to upshift. I called his boss and told him don't send that guy back to me.

  20. #20petepilot2019-01-11 23:58

    dontcha just luv em

  21. #21DMiller2019-01-12 07:29

    Was in a shop O'Fallon MO when saw my first Puzzle Piece two piece with roll pins. NOT a joy to get the old three section junk from the Clutch shops OUT but even less joy to get hands in there to set the roll pins. They worked OK but if someone got aggressive POP and they were gone. Had a local CO that made a serious strong one piece with glued on lining, we installed quite a few of those on clutch installs, only ever changed any of those when replaced the clutch again would gouge input shafts but the owners did not seem to care.

  22. #22Truck Shop2019-01-12 16:47

    SB200 is all I use, 500,000 miles average. Pop area where pin is with torch and out it comes.

  23. #23DMiller2019-01-13 09:11

    That would be the style I used to install!!

  24. #24JPV2019-01-13 09:40

    I put those on when the tranny is out but I am not talented enough to put one in by feel on a W900L!