Look for the doubled up dozer, it appears in at least 3 places, throughout... Enjoy!
Has been Cat and Allis dozers done this way Not sure if ever an IH Knudsen had them custom built
Man I wish Scrub was still around. He would enjoy this video. Thanks, Dave for posting this. I've driven over that dam hundreds of times, and every time I think about how it was built.
Looks like almost all those A-C machines were HD-20's with 6-110 power. That and the Euclid haulers. I can just imagine the howl on that site.
Found this as well https://www.oemoffhighway.com/home/article/20867385/the-sidebyside-d9 And these https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/m...heck-1950s-siamese-twin-d8-caterpillar-video/ Seems Peterson was the Custom Builder.
Just saw this one on the AC forum, there's a guy who has a whole archive of AC films, he has been posting, mostly on Wednesdays...
Watching some of these old movies wonder how many OSHA/MSHA laws were written because of some of the methods and conditions shown in them. Also wonder how today's operators would react to the open cabs and dusty conditions.
Watching those old spring supported crawlers jar the peewaddins out of the operators makes my back ACHE!!!
In the mid-late 60's I remember riding with dad on 2U and 13A D-8's doing the same stuff... Maybe that's why I seem to be prematurely aging.
It is a very impressive dam, and the reservoir area that was flooded when they finished is equally impressive. Made some great pike and walleye fishing. I lost an alternator on that dam while passing through from Minot to Killdeer on a Sunday afternoon. I got it to a parking area west of the bridge and waited for a tow for 3 hours. $650 for a tow from Pick City to Dickinson.
Just saw this on another forum, interesting concept...
Interesting video. A big engineering company that I worked for in the mid 70's, was working on this type of pumped storage project. We were trying to locate the right type of rock and the right location somewhere in New England. Maine and Mass. were where we concentrated our efforts. I left the company while they were still working on this, but I do not believe they ever got any utilities interested in actual construction, due to the projected costs.
Watched another one, tonite. Kinda neat, has old AC farm stuff, for the 1st 2/3 of it, and some construction stuff, towards the end. Would hate to haveta drive the D grader, with that loader attachment, on it. Mine takes quite a bit of gtound, to turn around, with just the grader, itself on...
Track dressing grade is real time BORING!! Love the vids Dave. Slow little machines back in the day. Taum Sauk pumped storage was my previous employers bad day. Lasted some forty + years but then failed due to stupid actions on Remote operation. They did the construct RIGHT the second time.
Y'all can laugh at my worn slick Allis and how slow I am in operating. This was as I dug the House foundation hole with it, I am cumbersome and awkward but managed to get the ramps built for the Concrete trucks down each side. Trans was having bad days, had started to leak in the steering control lines, not long after this vid I had to swap that transmission and replace the steering feed lines. Old slick shoes were not helping, this was as I encountered the Flint layer where had to get help busting thru that.
Have to admit, that Ulrich bucket was ALSO NO HELP!!! Worked but one heavy SOB! Added to the awkwardness of the old machine, nose heavy.
I love it ! Nice work Dave and the 7G sure sounds good .
I suspect the Allis 344 is the ONLY strong part remaining on the old machine!! The little guy watchin over me was neighbors Dog. Tyson(As was a Fighter runt), he was my straw boss no matter what I was doing, probably weighed 8 lbs he was picked up by a traveler down our main road and hauled off. Miss that little guy.
Your going to be famous now! . Nice work .
Figured as such, DAMMIT! But what the hey, you guys need a laugh now and then.
You did well, I used to hate 4 in 1 buckets when it came to dumping sticky stuff, the rib behind the cutting edge really held the material up. opening the clam was better sometimes.
'Nother old Allis film, stumbled on it, again...
This featured Double 2U-D8 was built by ACMOC members Glen Ghilotti, Ed Aitkins, and Peterson Cat. It was completed in 2016(?) . It is a duplicate of the Double D8s that were built by Peterson Cat back before the D9s came along and rendered the double D8s obsolete. If I remember correctly, Ed furnished the doner machines, Glen rebuilt them, Peterson built the frame and assembled the Cat from original drawings. Thenback in the day when Peterson build the DD9 tandems the D-10s came along and made them obsolete. The new double D8s had been making the circuit of the west coast shows. Not sure where it is now or whos care it is in since Glen passed and Ed has had some serious medical issues. A cool machine for sure.
it is located at Peterson cats new store in Hillsboro Oregon on display
Just saw this one, over at the allis forum, always good to see something old, workin, again...
Same Machine??? More info over at the unofficial allis web page, under construction machinery page, same title, as this post...
Construction, in the last half of this one: