Ok not all these pics are mine, but I figured I would share them with you fine gentlemen. This post is to show you there still are some real cowboys left int he oil patch. First we have one of those new fandangled snowplows with the mega salter on the back. Then we have a do it yourself cabover conversion kit for your conventional tractor. And a D9 gettin pulled out by a F250. I hear they used a nice sling on the ripper though... wouldnt want that big ford to let loose and break the ripper off that D9 :drinkup
Ok for some more machinery pics... gotta love these ones. First up is a little rock truck accident. I won't comment on who owns the trucks but im sure people can see the logo on the equipment. We also have a D9N that seems to have been too cool for its tracks. Or its that new hover 9 I have been hearing so much about. And then finally we have a D8 upsidedown cake.
Ok to end for now....we have a stuck D8R. And then there are the 2 truck photos. I don't know if you guys really want an explanation for these ones. I'm sure you can see the epitome of safety is going on.
what in the heck are they trying to do with that truck in the last few pics...sheesh!
I guess the guy in the D8 found the deep part. I'm afraid to ask what they were loading onto the truck.
Looks like they are offloading a power pack for a drill rig on the truck pictures. Gotta keep an eye on those roughnecks, they are ALMOST as bad as iron hangers
In the truck pictures of the two trucks loading together this is an explanation on what they are doing: The truck with its gin poles extended must lift the truck hauling the draw-works so that its bed is level with the top of the sub. This makes it easier to winch that heavy assembly into his deck. The draw-works contains all the winches, motors, and power equipment required by the drilling apparatus. Doing it this way was very common 20 or 30 years ago but now it is seen as being far too dangerous. Most of the time now days these use cranes for doing this kind of work and not too many people use pole trucks anymore some still do but not many. If your wondering why they don't do it this way anymore is because if one of those poles break it's going to send big flying pieces of steel everywhere that are like spears that will impale and kill anybody who is in the there way.
bigdieselrig's got it right on the nose. It's just a way to pull the power unit off the sub. It is a crane job now, but I have heard stories from my friends that those kinds of shenanigans still go on up further north. It's definately something to see in person. I'll find some more pics for this. There are enough cowboys left up in the patch to make some awesome photo's!
I just love them big rig trucks. And the deltas
If any guys would like too see more photos of rig moving and oilfield trucks there are some good pictures on facebook such as these: http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=19472064494&view=all or this one http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=4124250325&view=all . I go on both of these web pages regularly and few others as well on facebook all the time. I love looking at photos of rig moving trucks taking apart drilling rigs and putting them back together again it's so cool at least to me it is anyways.