Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Horsin’ around with septic fields in the frost..

special tool ยท 2009-02-24 17:43

Lots of talk about various frost conditions here, so I thought I'd show frost in Westchester, NY this morning on a north slope. About 14 inches max with the snow now gone for a week or two. This is septic fields for a historical house that I demoed - back to 1776 spec. The guy who built this place blew up the bridge to Bedford and consequently diverted the Redcoats to Ridgefield. I could tell he was a demo guy because there was HUNDREDS of yards of 6" bluestone that he ox-carted to the back of the property, that I found when I built the road. There weren't too many ways to mass-produce 6" bluestone in the 1770's.. PS - the 225 ripped up the 14" frost all morning, and I heard NOT a relief valve. PSS....yes, paper passes inspection in Westchester.....

Replies19
  1. #1dirt digger2009-02-24 18:13

    good to see other people who use rosin paper

  2. #2dumpchuck2009-02-24 18:17

    Dang, thats one fine looking 225!!

  3. #3special tool2009-02-24 18:50

    Wow...just noticed. That first pic - Perry is not THAT big! - About 300 pounds and 6'3", but that pic he is 20 feet away from the Cat. Thanks for comments, guys.

  4. #4312King2009-02-24 19:04

    Looks good, that frost suck to make the cuts look straight. Love that 225. how many hours I assume its a D right?

  5. #5special tool2009-02-24 19:39

    Nope, 51U.....my wife goes before her

  6. #6Willis Bushogin2009-02-24 20:05

    septic system Just curious, what kind of system you use in your area. I am on the coast in NC, so we dont really have a frost level. Our basic systems are 1000 gal tank, with D-box and 4 50ft+ lines, 18" deep. The really expensive systems, are the mound systems, where we bring in about 60 loads of fill dirt and then install the rock lines in this mound. The really expensive system, are the drip system Just wondered what system you use Thanks

  7. #7special tool2009-02-24 20:28

    I have done many according to your outline. Basically, we follow engineer's orders nowadays.... I am sure you understand. Connecticut health is MUCH different from New York - the building laws are different as well.... You would not rationally expect such large variances from such geographically similar places....but there you go. We just listen to our engineers and follow orders.

  8. #8qball2009-02-24 23:43

    man, you ripped frost all day with a deuce and a quarter and no relief valve noise. that thing is tight. how many pilot valve o rings have you changed?

  9. #9special tool2009-02-25 05:43

    Uh-oh....BUSTED! Okay, so maybe it opened once or twice.....but DEFINITELY not three times.

  10. #10coopers2009-02-26 02:11

    Good to see orange mixed in there!

  11. #11special tool2009-03-21 09:24

    Six ton heavy duty "H20" 1000 gallon. Very tight placement. This picture was taken up on ledge, and you can see the state road in the background. The property line setback is 10 feet - These tanks are going in about 10"6".*** The second tank off the truck is a 750 H20 pump chamber

  12. #12WesternStar2009-03-21 10:01

    You had to set the tank with the excavator? The truck always set ours. I'm guessing maybe it was just someplace the truck couldn't get to?

  13. #13special tool2009-03-21 10:13

    He wanted to squeeze in there, but I have pulled so many trucks out of there and fixed that "road", I wouldn't let him. One guy who didn't listen to me ripped his fuel tank on a piece of ledge. I can't pave that road, because the project will become over its impervious soil limit.

  14. #14Pecord Exc2009-03-23 13:14

    When you getting a quick coupler for that 225!!! Save you some money in te long run! We typically use 2 buckets on a septic system, 2' to dig the fields, 40" smooth bucket to pull stone out of the dump truck and grade. faster cleaner, besides you would have been able to pop that bucket off 1-2-3. If you need material ever let me know. I spent half of last summer running up to Domain's for Bankrun!

  15. #15hvy 1ton2009-03-23 16:31

    I see the precast truck has lights in the bumper to keep them below the max headlight height. Is that truck 6x8 or does it just have big rubber? You wouldn't happen to have any more pics would you? On a sidenote, I've always wondered what that rule really accomplishes, it makes the truck look kinda cool though.

  16. #1695zIV2009-03-23 17:27

    The truck is an all wheel drive, you can see the pumpkin in the picture.

  17. #17special tool2009-03-23 19:20

    Will do, thanks. I should get one, I do use the old girl a lot lately.

  18. #18special tool2009-03-23 19:23

    Yep, all wheel drive - its a really nice truck. I have more pictures of it, but they are from very similar perspective.

  19. #19special tool2009-03-23 19:31

    Here's four little duckies, all in a row. And the little Kubota digging up a 2:1 pump line (over the idlers, of course)***