So i have always wanted to get into restoring and re-building of the wetlands and coastal areas of Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. im an avid fisherman and it breaks my heart to see our coast just washing away. plus the wetlands and coastal beaches, islands are our first line of defense in the path of a hurricane. I am a Horticulture major at this time. Also Im a Louisiana licensed Landscape/Horticulturist, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, & Pesticide Apllicator. I have really been looking into finishing my Hort degree and then going into Civil Engineering, with a major in Civil Construction. Would love to get into the construction side of Wetland Erosion Control. Im at a crossroad. its been very challenging to focus on school and run my business. Do I go work for someone else , so i can hit the books hard? any input from some of the veterans in the industry?? Thanks, Jacob
First off, what do you have for equipment, what work have you done in the past, we need some information before advising you on anything, but from your current post, it sounds like maybe a job would be a better fit than your own business. I'd think someone with an interest or experience in dealing with wetlands, would be in big demand working for companies who do large scale construction, not to step on toes or make the wrong remarks to offend anyone, but it takes a certain type of person to work with regulatory agencies that govern wetlands and either their preservation or construction, not to mention the paperwork handling and permits required and any mitigation for companies in violations in dealing with wetlands, its a niche understanding few possess, especially if you can negotiate between the owner, operator, regulators, and everyone else involved to achieve a common goal, even those in violation would be willing to hire you to get them back into compliance, not full-time per say, but on a as needed basis, I could see big money for you working for many companies at one time doing what few could ever do, just an opinion.
Thanks for the response. I have about 7yrs expierence in running heavy equipment ranging from skidsteers, dozers, mini and full size excavators, telehandlers and backhoes. After hurricane Katrina I spent over a month running a Cat long reach cleaning out retention ponds etc. I've been around the oil field andd coastal industries most of my life. I actually found out today louisiana has a license for a Coastal Restoration and Habitat Enhancement Contractor.