Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The hazards of reshaping forestry roads.

Deere John ยท 2009-08-26 21:13

This happened this morning at 10 am. We started another road to recreate the ditches, pull up a good crown and move the brush back on a forestry road. While shaping the backslope of the ditch, casting the brush back, the outside corner of the blade just didn't quite miss a yellow birch. The lateral force caused the slight modification you see below. This is the first cylinder that I have seen bend that much without snapping. The machine was running by 3 pm, with a new rod welded to the ball end, and a seal kit. We'll save that rod for grading around tight corners and traffic circles.

Replies10
  1. #1willie592009-08-26 21:19

    Man, that looks just plain crazy!

  2. #2Squizzy246B2009-08-26 22:06

    Thats awesome..

  3. #3RonG2009-08-27 03:29

    I did that to an Austin Western while grading a steep side slope in Ft Leonard Wood,Missouri.My instructor said I would never make an operator.Ron G

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2009-08-27 10:57

    Well that is something you don't get to see very often. Good thing too.

  5. #5Grader4me2009-08-27 14:15

    :jawdrop Wow! must have hit it a good poke. I've never seen one bent like that before. Thanks for sharing.

  6. #6Wolf2009-08-27 18:49

    wow.

  7. #7Dominion 4102009-08-27 20:43

    Like to see what the yellow birch look's like.

  8. #8JTL2009-08-27 21:24

    Thats impressive. Did you go back and cut down the tree, just for spite!

  9. #9John C.2009-08-27 23:47

    I've seen that before on a Champion. Same thing, the operator hooked a stump and everything went sideways. I've also seen in on a Komatsu 705. That time a big wheel loader backed into the cylinder and did the same thing. Nice photos.

  10. #10alco2009-08-28 00:40

    Now that is one of the coolest things I have seen with a grader. Nice work! Brian