Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The last FIAT-ALLIS 41b made

fiat41b ยท 2008-11-15 20:20

Hello everyone just thought i would show you my 41b. I had to copy the pictures with my camera this tractor is the last one that rolled off the assembly line in Springfield IL. in late 1982 they only made 13 that year it did not leave the factory until 1985 when it was sent to Florida by rail to a phosphate mine thru (Dewind machinery Fiat dealer) it was brought back here to Pawnee,IL by rail to Peabody #10 coal mine to help uncover and reclaim a slurry pit after the mine shut down they were going to make coal pellets but that operation went south and i got lucky and bought the 41 at the right price when i was a little boy i remember eating at McDonolds on S. 6th street in Springfield IL and looking out the windows at the Fiat-Allis factory across the street it was huge and all around the outskirts was tons of tractors 21s,31s,41s scrapers ect there use to be a sign that read home of the worlds largest bulldozer right out front for everyone to see now the only thing left is a street named Fiat-Allis BLVD. Pawnee is only 10 to 15 minutes from the old factory funny that the old tractor made it back home.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies47
  1. #1stretch2008-11-15 21:58

    Now that's a big machine...thanks for the pics, look forward to more!!!

  2. #2Construct'O2008-11-15 23:01

    Good piece of history there.Thanks for sharing!!!!!:usa

  3. #3fiat41b2008-11-15 23:47

    41b more pictures? small video i hope it works

  4. #4stretch2008-11-15 23:49

    Sorry, it's not working on my comp. Sure wish it did. Is it on YouTube?

  5. #5fiat41b2008-11-15 23:51

    FIAT 41b Sorry the video thing did not work out i need help on how to download videos I will post some more pictures

  6. #6fiat41b2008-11-16 00:15

    photos 41B, and others SORRY I need help on getting the video downloaded here is more pictures the white tractor is A 1973 Allis-chalmers hd41 this was a big stripping job I did for Vulcan and thats a 1994 d10n stuck

  7. #7fiat41b2008-11-16 00:17

    more pictures a few more

  8. #8fiat41b2008-11-16 00:28

    41b This picture is when we were putting the blade together and installing the three counterweights and draw bar thats a linkbelt 4800 and a one tone welding truck.

  9. #9EddieWalker2008-11-16 09:21

    I'm not familiar with that dozer. Out of curiousity, how big is it? HP and weight? Why did the stop building them? Eddie

  10. #10fiat41b2008-11-16 12:02

    41b Well this particular tractor came new with all the options 36" track pads,cab 3 counter weights at over 5000 lbs full u blade but when it was brought back home they got the blade off the other 41b a semi u .The company that bought the 41 back in 1985 purchased 2 of the 13 made in 1982 the 1st one #751 and this one #764 the 41b tractor standard weight no cab/rops, attachments or hydraulics with standard 32" pads was 112,000 lbs the older A-C HD41s were around 101,000 bare tractor. Weight if fully dressed is over 80 ton 164,000 lbs however metal varys My semi u blade is bigger than that Cat d10n taller and wider 17.5 width 7.5 tall Horsepower on the engine tag it says 675 H.P CUMMINGS 1710 V12 My literature says 525 hp conservative hp as this engine is used in other applications with ratings up to 800 H.P. We had a payhauler once that had the same engine 1710 v12 I just know that the engine never seems to drop rpms and the tracks keep turning.

  11. #11fiat41b2008-11-16 12:44

    hd41 field studies hope this works

  12. #12Dominion 4102008-11-16 20:13

    41-b I thought the FD-40 was big-that thing is huge.How are it's operating characteristics in terms of balance,ease of handling etc.? Noticed the Link-Belt excavator in your picture,was it a 5800?

  13. #13fiat41b2008-11-16 21:53

    41b The way my 41b is set up its perfect for working in the normal heavy wet soft underfooting areas here in central IL. It has removed material that smaller dozers could'nt get thru i would have to say its do to its tall ground clearance and high h.p. with 15,000lbs of counterweights and the 36" optional track pads and semi u blade it is balance perfect. That white HD41 in the pictures had 2 counterweights and a u blade off a 31 and 32" shoes made of boron steel it would nose dive and sometimes get stuck when backing out of the soft fill. The CAT d10n had 24" shoes that had to be changed to widest available 31.5" but it too would get stuck backing out of the wet fill once and a while. The 10 weighed 142,000 lbs 520 h.p. had dual tilt and with the bogie track frame work the best on cleaning the top of rock. The white hd41 worked decent cleaning the rock but road ruffer but i tried a few times whith 41b and the 36" shoes forget it it felt like destruction too much weight on solid rock for 36" pads that was very uneven i just didnot want to take the chance at breaking or bending the shoes it had aready tore my d7 pads up pretty bad. The 41's handled just like the D10n they are big they have steering clutchs in the same place as the CAT10n 2 levers on the left blade on right tractors with wider pads and tall grousers do not make quick sharp turns as well as tractors with skinner track pads.

  14. #14fiat41b2008-11-16 22:09

    link belt 4800 it still runs good 80,000lbs 3.5 yd bucket My other excavator is a heavy duty FIAT-ALLIS FE40M 112,000lbs 4yd rock bucket ITS 13' wide with the 36" tracks expanded it will hold a 41 u blade as far out as it can reach with out tipping pretty stable and it only has around 3000 hrs My dad bought it from where he worked (Freeman united coal company)

  15. #15RocksnRoses2008-11-17 05:37

    Hd 41 I have been following this thread, fiat41b, and when you posted the HD41, it jogged my memory and sent me searching through my slide archives. You might be interested in this HD 41 we came across on a road trip in March 1973. I had been reading about it in the paper, where it said at the time, that it was the largest bulldozer, either in the state or even the country, I am not quite sure, but someone else like Deas might be able to clarify that. This dozer was being used on road construction on the west coast of South Australia. Rn'R.

  16. #16Deas Plant2008-11-17 07:18

    HD41/41B largest dozer record. Hi, R-n-R. As I understand it, the HD41/41B was the largest production dozer in the world from the release of the A-C HD41 in about 1969 until the Cat D10 hit the market in 1978. It was NEVER the largest dozer in the world and neither was the D10 until 1981 when, I suspect, the BIGGEST dozer was dismantled. For the entire period of the HD41/41B's reign as the largest production dozer, there was ONE bigger dozer roaming around various large earthworks jobs in the U.S., the Western 2000. This li'l jigger weighed 170 tons had a 1,600 hp GM loco diesel driving a gen-set which powered 4 x 400 hp wheel motors, one in each of the 4 wheels. I have attached some magazine clippings here. You can see more of it in this thread: Any advance on 170 tons???? Until the ACCO dozer in 1983.

  17. #17fiat41b2008-11-17 09:48

    41b Those are some really cool photos RnR the 41's were the worlds largest (crawler tractor) untill the KOMATSU 455 came out which had the same weight and engine 1710 v12. rated at 620 h.p. The D10 was next, Deas that thing looks like a mega bus I bet they never worked it in extreme underfooting or slopes that western outfit probably had the biggest iron in the country back then did you guys know that the worlds largest dozer was 2 41's sxs hooked to a 65' long blade the blade was made by Rockland blades which also made a 24' x 9' dozer rake for the 41. again cool pictures dig more out if you have any.

  18. #18hardtail2008-11-17 12:05

    Local private coal mine still has some 21's, 31's and at least 2 41B's doing stripping and ripping, unfortunately they are starting to have a hard time finding parts, they had a supposedly good U/C shipped up from Virginia that upon arrival looked almost identical to the track on their machine if the U/C was free the trucking was $$$'s don't know hoe that deal finally turned out? They have acquired a D9 highdrive and an older D9H that they have spend rebuilding entirely the past 2 years in their spare time, both look pretty tiny to the the 41's, closer to the 31's. Anyway I'd almost give my left jigger to run the 41 for awhile, maybe the ultimate dually Great thread........

  19. #19Deas Plant2008-11-23 07:15

    Another contender?????????? Hi, Folks. I done fergort about this jigger as one of the bigger dozers ever built. I've posted a photo of a news clipping over here: Happy drooling(??????????????)

  20. #20brian2008-11-23 20:52

    crane and tractor has a 41b for sale in columbus ohio.

  21. #21fiat41b2008-11-24 08:13

    Thanks Brian i have been there very nice people to deal with bought a engine from them for my fe40 excavator and they gave me all kinds of literature and books left over from the 41 days I will have to check it out.

  22. #22brian2008-11-24 18:26

    there was two of them at an auction the shelly company had a couple years ago and they bought one of them.

  23. #23FatCatGotHot2008-11-25 03:43

    Re: HD41/41B largest dozer record Hi Deas, regarding the world record for the world largest dozer in the 70ies, the HD41 was substituted by the 620 HP KOMATSU D455 in 1977. BUT, ... ...I stand to be corrected.

  24. #24Deas Plant2008-11-25 05:42

    Old-timer's Disease. Hi, FCGH. I theeenk you are right. I had forgotten about 'Kummagutsa's' brief first reign as manufacturer of the world's biggest PRODUCTION dozer with the D455A. I also theeenk it lasted a little under 12 monthsas the Cat D10's hit the market in the spring of 1978.

  25. #25FatCatGotHot2008-11-25 15:23

    Komatsu D455A Dear Deas, by far it was not my intention to point my finger on your mental chaos. LOL But the D455A is just too interesting to not beeing mentioned here. Let me browse throo ma bookshelf to give us some further details on her: Unveiled at the BAUMA 1977, the D455A was powered by a 12 cylinder Cummins engine of said 620 HP, followed by two gear boxes of the D355A. In this way, Komatsu combined the use of proven transmission components with the ability of individual driven tracks. Yummie - Sounds quite shmart to me. The weight was about 76 metric tons.

  26. #26Deas Plant2008-11-25 18:14

    Once again, 'Kummagutsa's' Engineering.............. Hi, FCGH. I once operated a D455A for about 3 hours. It had 'tunnza' grunt, especially if you took note of the fact that it DRANK about 20 litres (4 1/2 imperial gallons) of engine oil per 10 hour shift. It had a single shank ripper on the back - so far, so good. It had a U-blade on the front - fine for bulk earthworks - but it was being used to push-load 3 x Cat 660 scrapers - NOT a job for a U-blade. It pushed them O.K. but a U-blade is not exactlt ideal for picking up scrapers quickly and smoothly. I never did get to do any serious earthmoving with that jigger. Right from the very first 'Kummagutsa' that I ever had anything to do with, a direct drive D60A dozer in 1966, their engineering has let them down. Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed operating a fair range of 'Kummagutsa' machines over the years. After all, they mostly burn diesel fuel, make noise and move dirt - what's not to enjoy? How-wevver, along with many, MANY other people, I have noticed that most 'Kummagutsa' machines seem to have only about 2/3 the service life to first rebuild and between any subsequent rebuilds of a comparable Cat machine. Just my 0.02.

  27. #27dieseldave2008-11-28 22:11

    I wouldn't have imagined there were this many 41's running at once http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_DQYcD11w

  28. #28Deas Plant2008-11-28 22:35

    Is this the perfect dozer for 'low-lifes'? LOL. Hi, Folks. Found this little jigger on YouTube too. Is it the perfect dozer for 'low-lifes'? LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ljO7xZo6HA&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqBkDsQV0rU&feature=related

  29. #29Deas Plant2008-11-29 00:04

    'Largest' dozer. Hi, Fiat41B. There are a number of criteria for assessing the 'largest' dozer ever built. The jigger that you mentioned with two 41B's and the 65-foot Rockland blade is quite probably the widest blade ever made. The most commonly used criteria are weight and horsepower and that jigger doesn't measure up in either of those categories. There are in fact 3 machines both heavier and more powerful than that combination and all 3 are or were single machines, not tandems or doubles. The 3 machines are: Komatsu D575A Super dozer. Acco dozer. Western 2000 dozer. (No longer with us, unfortunately.) I grant you that none of them were wider but I suspect that at least 2 of the 3 would have pushed the 2 x 41B's backwards. How-wevver, much as it might have been interesting to watch such a contest, I doubt that it can ever be arranged due to some of the required elements being unavailable. Does anybody have a computer program that can simulate such a contest? Just for chuckles of course. LOL.

  30. #30fiat41b2008-11-29 20:45

    Deas I see where your going however the tractor was called big daddy and also an angle dozer i know that you have heard or seen pictures of 2 d9's attached to an angle blade that was called the double dude and they recorded a performance of 14,000 yards per hr. Im not for sure what the big daddy's performance really was it would have to be much greater than 2 d9's although one book says it was to akward due to its size the 1710 cummings engine is again set at a (conservative 525 hp rating)as stated in the fiat book my engine in my machine has 675 hp. probably gross hp. a 455 kamatsu same tractor weight they copied using the same engine and cranked it up to 620 hp. you can get 800 hp easily out of a 1710 cummings with minor changes but if your gearing is set up to where you spin your tracks with maximun load the extra hp is not really necessary there is a thing called coefficent traction with a crawler tractor. NO tractor is going to push a load in front of it that weighs more than the tractor this has nothing to do with hp. i dont think your super dozers would push 2 41's or 455 kamatsu's that would be 164 tons

  31. #31Deas Plant2008-11-29 22:37

    164 tons??????? Hi, Fiat41b. I am aware of traction coefficients, etc.. I can't quote exact figures 'cos I don't have them but I always thought the AC HD41 was only about 64 - 65 tons 'wet' working weight and the F-A 41B was only a couple of tons heavier. Give that the 41B is 70 tons x 2 is only 140 tons. The 'Kummagutsa' D575a-3 Super dozer comes in at about 153 tons and 1150 hp, both of which are somewhat more than the combined weight and horsepower of 2 x standard HD41's or 41B's. The Acco dozer is 183 tons and has 2 x 675 hp Cat V8's - total, 1,350 hp. Do you think it might stand a chance of sorting out your paired 41B's? Even the Western 2000 at 1,600 hp and 170 tons - while it was around - had those paired 41's beat for both hp and weight but may not have had the traction to get its grunt on the ground, being as it was 4wd, not on tracks. Just for the record, I once saw 2 x early D6C's at, I believe, 120 hp each, put blades to blade with an early Cat D8H at 235 hp and the D8H won. Two Cat D6C's going backwards, scratching dirt and not giving up but not winning either. Mind you, there was a fair bit of track slip from the D8H too but it wasn't the one - or two - going backwards. Wunna those times when I shoulda dun had a camera and didn't. There was a bit of free beer flowing in the pub that night too.

  32. #32fiat41b2008-11-30 02:56

    Deas i ran a d6d at hurricane Andrew in Miami Florida for a while and my buddy was on a d4h wide track we had a push off i lost the 4h push me backwards easy i know the d4h is smaller and less hp but he had traction as far as weight for 41b's and even the FD50 which was the same dozer with a few up grades the books say max weight of 161,594 lbs add the extra weight for options like the 3' wide pads and it does come close to 82 tons if you have not noticed the Acco dozer has a little buddy its a Fiat 41they have been parked side by side for years and years along with a bunch of other fiat-allis equipment at Acco's yard, yes the Acco is one bad dude it wold be interesting to compare such machines but how could you compare a huge crawler w/huge strait u blade to a huge angle only blade with two large crawlers. For instance digging 400'x100'x10' area = 14,800 cubic yds thats the kind of numbers they said the 2 d9g's or double dude could do but they are side cutting or windrowing a strait dozer pushes strait that would be one hell of an area cut out in 1 hr. so how would you compare the two different machines i know you wont tell me that the other will do it in 1/2 hr time.

  33. #33gaboon19502009-06-22 05:40

    As someone who operated an Allis 41B for several years and then moved on to d-10's, I wish I had the old 41's back. They are a dirt moving mother and with the width of the tracks, and the extreme horsepower, I've had one stuck but have never powered one out. In my opinion, the 41 outshines the 10's all day long. Hans

  34. #34fiat41b2009-06-24 23:41

    Thanks for the replie gaboon1950 I just moved my 41b last week to a new coal mine job we are building a new mine I am working with Vecellio & Grogan from West Virgina this is a very large project they just moved their 5110 CAT excavator in also last week it has a 10 yd rock bucket I will be taking progress pictures so i may post a few hope all goes well.

  35. #35CatSkinner77V2009-06-25 15:13

    my uncle ran a HD 41 near calgary alberta years ago on the Old man River dam project. He said it was good machine, but didn't stand up in the rock like the Caterpillars did.

  36. #36QuAD2009-07-11 07:21

    Here the only pics i ever saw from the 2 HD41 with the 65' blade. This photos are on a old 16mm film I have from the Caterpillar D9 SxS Double-Dude 48' blade.

  37. #37heavy hauler2009-12-31 10:25

    heavy hauler Nice photos, Thats a pushing machine. Iam trying to find weights on the 41b. stripped down with out a ripper, blade and draft arms. I am going to haul this machine for a new owner and am curious what the weights are. any ideas? thanks.

  38. #38AtlasRob2009-12-31 17:27

    I am pretty sure if you go through this thread that it is mentioned or the figures are there if you do the maths. The other option is to drop a PM to fiat41b ON EDIT I knew I had read it, copied from post 11 Well this particular tractor came new with all the options 36" track pads,cab 3 counter weights at over 5000 lbs full u blade but when it was brought back home they got the blade off the other 41b a semi u .The company that bought the 41 back in 1985 purchased 2 of the 13 made in 1982 the 1st one #751 and this one #764 the 41b tractor standard weight no cab/rops, attachments or hydraulics with standard 32" pads was 112,000 lbs the older A-C HD41s were around 101,000 bare tractor. Weight if fully dressed is over 80 ton 164,000 lbs however metal varys My semi u blade is bigger than that Cat d10n taller and wider 17.5 width 7.5 tall

  39. #39Neil D2010-01-01 13:05

    Thanks fiat 41b Great to see pictures of your machines-they are truly magnificent machines. Its a pity the italians are not providing the spares back up for these older machines, a very stupid move I think because people who want to buy the new machines from fiat are gonna be put off by the perceived lack of interest once the thing has rolled out the dealership gates! Neil

  40. #40Deeretime2010-07-08 02:30

    Your uncle worked for "Top Notch" ? They have twin 41's and there bolth sitting in a Richie bro's sale in edmonton waiting to be sold

  41. #41indian3472010-07-08 17:02

    I was told that the 41's were hard on final drives. I know where theirs one sitting in Eastern Ohio that has been down for about 5 years with a bad hart. Jim

  42. #42A/C Guy2010-09-03 12:48

    I worked for Allis Chalmers/Fiat Allis in Springfield. Machined 41 final drives in Department 22 as a matter of fact. Fiat moved the manufacturing to Brazil and Italy. They were out of the large construction equipment business not long after moving. Pretty sure they (Fiat) own part of Case New Holland now. fiat41b is correct, the plant was huge and employed over 5000 people at its peak when I was there.

  43. #43Curbster2010-09-04 03:33

    Fat Allis HD-31 Worked for an outfit up in Northern B.C. in the late 80's that had 3 of the HD-31's. Two with rippers and one with a winch. Very powerful machines that were great to operate on the snow or mud, and would push a full blade of anything easily. However. on the blast rock, and solid rocky roads, they were the roughest machine I ever ran. No walking about in higher gears on hard surfaces as they would rattle you right out of the cabs! I spent many a happy night up in the mountains pushing snow with them in comfort. (for those days anyway!) They all had the Cummins engine but I'm not sure what size, though I do know the mechanics kicked the horsepower up on them. They all came from the Revelstoke CPR tunnel project from what I was told. I'll dig out some pictures when I get a bit of time.

  44. #44X Quad Operator2012-01-22 10:03

    Good morning Mr fiat41b, would you, or have you access to a spec sheet of the Allis-Chalmers HD41? I have a friend looking for a spec sheet with all its measurements, or do you know of anybody that would have one I could contact. I worked around the neat Allis-Chalmers HD41 back in 1980 for Cassidy-Varella in thousand oaks California they rented it, it cost the company back then $3.00 a minute to rent the only thing rong with Allis-Chalmers was no resale, I didn't get to run it but a buddy of mine did he was turning and didn't have the ripper up high enough and broke the shank off it was a 12" shank and of course we were in nasty rock. Can you do me any good. Mike Nebergall

  45. #45fiat41b2012-01-22 13:48

    yeah i can help i just need a little time give me a day or 2 i will get the folder out and see what its got i pretty much know everything there is to know about it

  46. #46X Quad Operator2012-01-22 14:58

    Can we e-mail each other fiat41b?

  47. #47Jimbo2014-10-23 16:28

    Well, here is one up for sale, been sitting for about 20 years that I know of. http://www.bmjauction.com/Resources/10251434.jpg