Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Mystery Machine

Deckhead ยท 2016-10-18 19:56

So I bought a skid steer at auction, it was said to be a bobcat s300 but I knew it was bigger than that. I'm new to the skid steer game as I'm only really planning on using it to move lumber back and forth outside of my shop (trailer loads of lumber), getting carpentry equipment off the trailer into the shop (big table saw, planers, jointers, etc), and some small stuff around my property. I'll probably use it about 5-10 hrs a week at most. Anyhow, here's the skinny: I bought it because the engine runs beautifully, cranks up faster than my international 4300, it leaked out of the right lift cylinder and left tilt cylinder... Not a huge issue as I planned on replacing all the cylinder seals. The huge issue came when I figured (like a moron) a serial number would be stamped on the frame because I knew the badge wasn't legible. No stamp that I can find. No worries, checked the engine for a serial number and got a pretty big surprise. Its a Deere engine... 4045D. Aspirated 4.5 Liter. To my knowledge this engine was never put on a bobcat. Called Deere and they have no info on the engine, not even manufacture date. I'm thinking the machine is a 963 but not quite sure as everything has been painted over. Its heavy, I'd say 10k heavy because we towed it home on a 32' 24k trailer and it felt the weight. Anyone have any insight? I plan on giving this ole girl a nice, easy retirement pulling carpentry shop lift duties instead of being drug through the mud any longer. Thanks in advance fella's, I'm a dumbass for not looking closer but for the price I paid... I probably still would have bought it.

Replies13
  1. #1DIYDAVE2016-10-18 20:17

    some pix would help...:beatsme:beatsme

  2. #2Deckhead2016-10-18 20:42

    Do I need a certain post count before I can post pictures?

  3. #3Deckhead2016-10-18 20:46

    Nevermind, was posting on my phone, I will be working on it tomorrow and will post more pictures. I'm going to be taking off the lift cylinders and taking them to my hydraulics guy to get the seals done.

  4. #4Tinkerer2016-10-18 20:49

    I think it is 3.

  5. #5Deckhead2016-10-18 20:59

    Heres a closer picture I had right after I won the bid. What do you mean 3? An S300 or 963? I can see a 63 with some number before it on the badge I took off. I plan to figure it out and make a new one. Out of wood of course, hah (carpenter joke sorry bout that) I appreciate any and all help, I can't say I have a lot to offer in the heavy iron section but I love it almost as much as I love working with exotic lumber. I plan on babying this thing.

  6. #6Deckhead2016-10-18 21:04

    Heres a picture of all thats left of the serial badge. Sorry to keep posting one after another.

  7. #7lantraxco2016-10-18 21:29

    975 or 1075 would be my first guess....

  8. #8Welder Dave2016-10-18 21:50

    Yes, the 975 used an 82 HP JD engine. They were one of the best skid steers ever made. It has a 3700lb rated capacity(lifts a lot more) and weighs about 12,000lbs. Very popular machine for a tree spade. 1075 is a little bigger but not as common. Original was an M970 in 1970, then the 974 with a Perkins and 975 with a JD engine. 975's were made about 1975-1990 and replaced by the 980. The 980 had planetary gears and although bigger had some issues. A 9' snow bucket was common on a 975.

  9. #9Deckhead2016-10-18 22:58

    I have some new best friends. It is indeed the 975 from all that I can tell. I just read an old blog on it that one of my woodworking buddies from Ohio sent me. It's amazing that you guys were able to tell that from the little bit of pictures I posted. Well, I guess I have to keep it updated now to show its restoration. I plan to give it the original paint job back (I do a lot of finishing and have painted a couple vehicles with my HVLP set up) and replace the hose and get her back in tip top shape. Thanks guys! I'll keep it updated. -just a guy who loves to make and rebuild stuff

  10. #10Welder Dave2016-10-18 23:23

    There's not much comparable to a 975 so it's pretty easy to figure out what it is.

  11. #11DB22016-10-18 23:34

    Would the 4045 be a replacement engine? Thought the originals had a 4276

  12. #12hvy 1ton2016-10-18 23:57

    I had to dig a bit, but i thought i remembered somebody replacing a 4276 with a turbo 4045. HeavyEquipmentForums

  13. #13lantraxco2016-10-19 00:05

    And there you go... the collective intelligence and memory on here beats the best computer systems in the world, amazing... :notworthy