I'm looking for a used dump truck to use off road and came across a couple Internationals with an automatic. I've heard auto's aren't very good because they don't have a low gear if conditions are soft/muddy. Would an automatic be a bad idea? Also what about Reyco spring suspension? I know air ride is no good for a dump truck.
Yair . . . Welder Dave. I know bugger all about truck specs. but I can tell you there were couple of Cab over engine International tippers (ACCO's) with Jimmy's and Allison's feeding me rock on a dredge site and they killed everything in sight, the auto was real good in the sand. Cheers.
Yep... in a former lifetime I ran an old Ford T850 with the 534 gas V8 and an Allison, was a sweet combination in soft ground, never ran out of snoose, just traction. On short hauls on site you just mashed the pedal, didn't have to sort gears while avoiding wheel loaders and the other trucks, etc. Later on I ran an International transfer setup with Hendrickson suspension which was nice, most of the Freightliners in the fleet I ran with did have air bags for the ride, they just dumped the bags before raising the box. Chalmers seems to be the latest fad, but you may not find that in a used truck.
Several Allisons have a low gear that you have to shift into manually. Our old international tandem grain truck had a low and it was plenty low. If they're built to be a dump truck they'll have a low. The transmission model number will tell you with a little search online. A good salesman "should" know that. Reyco isn't bad. I've run just about everything in a truck suspension wise. Current truck is rubber pad. Stable as can be but it will beat the $&/@ out of you empty. Junkyard
We have proven autos many times over to be superior against similar manual trucks when taking a highway dump off road less spinning,bouncing, broken u joints ect
Thanks for the feed back. An auto is also good if I can get some help to haul sand.
I've owned 2 auto dumps one tandem and one tri-axle and two hook lifts both tandems. Kicking around the idea of getting another tandem or tri-axle dump and I won't consider anything but an Allison auto as far as trans goes. The 2007 Mack Granite tai-axle with MP7 and Allison 6sp was a beast of a truck. I work in suburban/urban areas and it made driving a breeze. It also did very well off-road where I could put someone capable of driving it but didn't have a CDL to drive it on the road. True autos like an Allison will excel in off-road conditions. A truck is just another machine to me, I want that machine to be easy to operate and make money. :cool2
I would take an auto over a manual any day for one that has to run off road. This includes dump trucks, water trucks, etc. I still want a manual for my heavy haul truck, but that is it.
I'm looking at a 1991 International 4900 with an auto. There's also 4 1995 S series Internationals coming up at auction that look really clean but I can't make the auction. I could try a proxy bid maybe? Yes if I can get help an auto would be a lot easier to learn to drive than a standard for inexperienced help.
I'm thinking for off road use the Reyco won't offer as much traction as the Hendrickson. There's more pivoting movement available in the Hendrickson for uneven terrain. I've driven both and even on pavement the Reyco will break loose before the Hendrickson, but it gives a smoother ride.
I'm not sure what suspension the IH has other than springs so it might be Hendrickson. There's also a 1994 Ford that has the Reyco suspension and a 3406 Cat with 15 speed. Asking 12.5K for either one. I think the IH would be a better choice for me. I heard there were problems with the auto trans but they may have been on earlier models than 1991. How can you check them out other than a test drive?
the newer world series HD4500 are the better trans the some of the older ones where ok but not as good as the newer one's. if you do get an Allison make sure to change the oil and filters and use only Allison synthetic or approved synthetic. It not cheap but neither is a new transmission.
Auto trans advantage over manual as I see it 1. Lower repair bills. Drivers have a harder time tearing it up, grinding gears and wearing forks 2. Lower fuel cost. Engine always running in proper RPM range 3. Faster cycle times. Can upshift going uphill or through mud for faster speeds sometimes 4. Driver availability. More drivers can drive them 5. Better engine braking 5. Resale value Disadvantage 1. Initial cost 2. Harder to repair 3. I have found they need shift schedule tuned when new by the Allison dealer which takes a few trips initially
Here at the city I work for, all our dump trucks are automatic allisons. Tandems and singles with front and wing plows on them for the winter and stainless beds with air front and spring rear suspension. Stainless beds we use for salt/sand in the winter and hauling dirt, sand, mulch, asphault, etc, in the summer. Most of the time we are pulling a ctl or skid steer behind them on the way to jobsites. They seem to do real well