Sing it to the tune of creedence Clearwater revival. The area around the shop is semi-industrial postmodern cludge. One guy has an impressive collection of various bits and pieces. He seems to have a fondness of the 1150 Case crawler loaders, for one thing. These funky ford loaders. I don't ever remember seeing one of these. Here's a national 500 crane that should have never been demounted and saved. It's a marine special!
By far the most rare chunk of iron. Here is the 224 rolling cat excavator based on the 225. I have never seen one of those and I'm really surprised to see one still intact Here's the rest of the komatsu. It's got a four barrel set of rippers on it. Pretty Impressive from the business end. What made me want to stop? Was this 450 Johnny reaching for the sky and asking for help.
When I came by Pearson's today I saw a truckload of somebody's dreams heading to the scrapper. Cletrac engine Some little flathead Chassis we hardly hardly knew ye.
By far the cream of the crop was this dozer with Hercules diesel power and a hydraulic winch. I gave the fan belt a quick grab but it did not feel like it was going to spin easily. We could lament that they are going to iron heaven, but at least we have preserved them on this page.
I noticed all the crawler loaders had dozer pads (grousers) not excavator pads like I usually see. Or however you say it. Street Pads ?
Whoever owns all that iron should/could charge admission to see it all! Of course only a few of us would appreciate all of it. I dont know why anybody would be fond of that Case 1150......
Pops I counted a half dozen case crawler loaders there of various sizes and probably four or five Johnnys. It seemed like everything had a four in one.
To a man with only a shovel, a JD with a 4 in one or even a 1150 would look mighty good.
Maybe he's trucking them up to the King of Obsolete? Joe H
Joe, it is sitting on a Pearson truck in front of that giant Komatsu shear. I don't have a warn fuzzy feeling for their long term survival. It is right there in the background.
New Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans.
That does look like the end of the road, doesn't it ? Joe H
We went to the state fair today in Puyallup. This 100 year old tractor has a home here. It comes with a nice story, one owner. it is not wheat country but they have a new display about it.
Gleaner-around here known as the {Silver Seeder}.
I should have zoomed in on the Fordson for the cast iron gas tank, for starting only. Maybe it is stamped but it sure looked like a casting.
It looks like it, growing up the neighbor had one, used to pull his wooden orchard sprayer. Like this one. *
I remember those wooden sprayers in Selah
That one sets in Milton-Freewater, would look good parked next to that Fordson you posted.
That would be kind of a fun project going around and picking up iron before it gets disposed of improperly and put it on display. I could think of worse things to do in retirement.
Ain't that the truth.
I'm keeping an eye on that Mack with the early Cummins and the Unit shovel with it. Those would come home with me if they needed to.
This overload of the day was out in front of Pearsons. Since they scrap a lot of ship stuff there, I am thinking that is the origin of this hunk. @Tugger2 probably knows it, I have no idea.
A friend of mine runs the yard there. He said it’s about 40,000lbs. Surface support ship Benny engine most likely.
benny is supposed to be gennie
Fairbanks-Morse 38D?
Thanks Jared. I was pretty sure it was F-B from the shape of it. No clue beyond that.
My 62 case 530 and Oliver OC4 not sure of the year ? Early 60's late 50's
I got the backstory on these Fairbanks Morse engines. I drove up and the owner was out front and came over to tell the tale. He gets two sets of them a year on average. They are the backup genset engines from the early nuke subs that they are breaking up at Bremerton. He says they have to stay in country and can't be exported to China, so they go back east by rail to somewhere that can smelt all the good stuff in there. Apparently he gets a large volume of inconel that also has stringent requirements on final disposal. Note the custom artwork on the head on this engine. The crews have fun with it. Now we have the official weight in paint pen. He says the big shear on the 700 will reduce this engine in 20 minutes. The 450 shear had trouble with the crankshaft.
Inconel-high nickel content, commonly used in intake/exhaust valves on high output engines. Would be a premium recyclable these days, years back no one wanted anything with sodium filled valves in recycling, we use to strip the exhaust valves.
The Old Iron Down the Road. *
you KNEW that was where I was going with the thread title. Thanks for validating the reference.
There is a melt shop in Pa that buys navy scrap for it's alloys, no need to add so much new when making ingots, if you can buy scrap that already has it in. They mentioned armor plate having IIRC 3% inconel.
Inconel is suspectable to stress-corrosion cracking under moderate preloads in saltwater, thus there's not much Inconel on a submarine. The only Inconel pipe I'm aware of is the overboard diesel exhaust. If you were to weigh all the Inconel from a recycled submarine at once, it might equal a ton or two tops. The stated prohibition on export is HY-80 - which submarines have a whole lot of. What's strange is that any competent steel foundry can produce HY steel. I think the real issue is that we don't want foreign nations getting their hands on cutup submarine sections. The red diesel pictured above weighs 30,600 pounds (Shop 72 marks the component-weight with paint marker upon removal)
The nickel alloys that I know of in subs usually pertains to the nuke piping and heat exchanger/boilers. Also some other alloys in the radar domes.
The scrap guy said he gets inconel, he did not say it came from the subs.
Reactor compartments are sealed up and sent to Hanford. They are not sold to the public. When the USS Long Beach was getting cutup a while back, there was a sealed-bid selling 7.5 million pounds of HY-80, HTS, and OS steel (about 25% of the ship) for a duration of time. May have been a 6-month recycling contract? Heat exchangers, condensers, and any piping containing seawater will be Cu-Ni. Hydraulic pipe will typically be 300 series CRES. Ventilation is aluminum, wire is copper, everything else (aka the overwhelming vast majority of any ship or submarine) will be carbon steel - of some alloy. For the high-nickel alloys - the Navy uses quite a bit of Monel, to some degree K-Monel - but uses very little Inconel. Monel and K-Monel hold up exceptionally well to seawater, whereas Inconel does not. If you want a top-of-the-line turbocharger exhaust manifold, or heavy-duty engine valves, you make them from Inconel. If the recycle guy is getting Inconel that requires export controls, it's probably not coming from the Navy.
I don't care. I took him at his word that he also handles a volume of inconel. I do recall marine shafts made with inconel. My dad's boat shaft was inconel.
We have similar interests Skyking. We live in the same State. We'd probably get along great if we ever met face-to-face. Life's too short to hold a grudge over perceived insults.
Sounds like a playdate to me.
Yeah, but you can't get along online, so why don't you just ignore any threads that skyking1 starts? I thought he was more than gracious in his last thread on his house build , when you didn't take a hint. I'm not sure why you're so intent on pushing it. Maybe just let it go.
I used to work for the submarine recycling group. I remember seeing those engines being pulled. How exactly did you interpret my comments to be a perceived jab towards an unrelated home-build thread?
What's with the douche bag factor throughout the entire site lately? I'm thinkin' that new fangled AI crap is starting to infiltrate our happy world.
When you turn on the TV and see a new face reporting the evening news, consider the possibility that what you're watching isn't even a real person (video/audio stream that's AI generated within the 7-second broadcast delay - to appear as if it's live). Sound crazy? Maybe, mabye not? I suspect that in the not too-distant future audio/video recordings will be inadmissible as evidence in a court of law.
I've got no idea, @stinky64 I've met with lots of folks here face to face. We are more than some anonymous internet community where the ether between us promotes the degraded interactions common to FB or what was once Twitter. Maybe it's just the winter doldrums. Seasonal Disaffective Disorder, so to speak.
There is a song with that in it.
Pretty obvious what it is and when it started, but that can't be addressed from any angle so it's live with it and don't utter a word.
All the iron in my first two posts is gone, except for that little funky ford loader. It is sitting on a lowbed just the same, no wheels. It will be gone Monday most likely. That yard is full of construction fence panels now. Farewell 224B, big Komatsu dozer, and a gaggle of crawler loaders.
today's old iron. loving this baby Allis Chalmers grader. Not armstrong steering, no steering at all. Note that those two hydraulic cylinders are it. Manual table, manual everything else.
Love it! I wish the door was closed, though. The steering box is probably missing because parts are expensive if you can find them. I've got one but can't find any pictures of it. Mine has leaning wheels and the steering box is pretty sloppy which teaches you what wheel lean does for steering.
I just passed one of those on to another friend that has more time and resources than i do. The steering box was missing and it was steering using the ripper circuit and a hyd cylinder .
yours was in Much better shape. That tube on the one I saw today had been welded several times.
Tugger, do you have any pictures that might show how the hydraulic cylinder was adapted to the front end? I've been scheming on an elegant way to convert mine but there's not much room where the steering box lives.
I owned one of those. Great little machine for fine grading.
Ill try and get a picture of that setup .Its not the greatest and made for pretty wild steering . Id search far and wide for a steering box .Or if your set on hydraulic maybe a cylinder combined with a marine helm pump would give better control. Working the steering with a lever that moves fore and aft instead of side to side had its challenges to.
I like the helm servo idea @Tugger2
What you need for full hydraulic steering is an orbitrol controlled by a steering wheel
I'd use an orbirtol valve for sure. I built a hydrostatic steering setup for my tractor that works very well. The tricky part with the grader is to build something that won't interfere with the wheel lean or hang below the axle.
I know where one of those AC graders is setting, has Detroit IIRC. Plus there is a fairly large AC crawler, don't remember the model but pretty good size. All just setting out in the long lost rhubarb near Monumental Dam on the Snake River. Actually there is a bunch of scrap iron setting there, it's where I bought the 1980 Freightliner cab over for engine rear drives I used in the Mack. Lots of rattle snakes to keep your attention. There was also a Thornton rear drive setting in the weeds. *