Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flat head 6 available

skyking1 · 2023-09-25 17:44

I think this could be had cheap. It was running when shut down 10 years ago and turns freely. Looks to be all there except the starter. This is the truck it came out of for identification. It will get re-powered with something modern and be a pickup in a new life. LOVE this pristine grille!

Replies23
  1. #11693TA2023-09-25 18:08

    218, or 230 Chrysler engine.

  2. #2skyking12023-09-25 19:11

    Thanks. Maybe somebody needs it. I think a wider audience than the local CL is in order.

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-09-25 19:13

    The list for Dodge flathead sixes is big-there were small block and big block flats. There is a list in this link. * How many of you have flathead 6 engines? - Sweptline.ORG

  4. #4skyking12023-09-25 19:16

    Thanks TS. I don't know the year of the truck but I will ask. That will narrow it down a bunch if it is original equipment.

  5. #5kshansen2023-09-25 19:23

    First thing I thought of when I saw the first picture was it looked like the engine out of the old Yale fork truck we had at the quarry. So that could be another place someone could use it.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-09-25 19:26

    Has to be from 40 through 47 with some slight differences, Normal power was 217, 236, 250- 95, 115, 120 hp. Dodge built 4 models of COE's at that time IIRC. Prices in those days started at $500 roughly.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-09-25 19:27

    Dodge built allot of industrial flatheads, many were used in balers, combines.

  8. #81693TA2023-09-25 20:06

    And Hobart Brothers machines. I have three myself.

  9. #9OzDozer2023-09-25 21:05

    Best old flathead gas engine ever made! Reliable as the day is long, they take some wearing out! I've got one in my old Yale forklift, well-worn and smokey, but never fails to start and run like a Swiss watch!

  10. #10skyking12023-09-25 21:29

    yes those relatively low compression engines can purr right along with some leakage, shall we say

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-09-25 21:32

    Cams have very little duration all lift-smooth runners.

  12. #12Old Doug2023-09-26 08:05

    I have 2 pickups that engine would work in a 1941 WC and a 1959 power wagon.

  13. #1356wrench2023-09-26 10:03

    If i recall, there was 2” length difference between the block sizes. I think the short ones were 23” and the long ones 25”? The 251 and the 265 would be the longer block. Somebody correct me if i’m wrong

  14. #141693TA2023-09-26 10:53

    You are correct as is the 250. Your reference to the 251 may be the same engine but I've not heard it called that myself.

  15. #15Old Doug2023-09-26 20:27

    So many prodjects so little time.

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-09-27 15:15

    They look similar to Continental engines. I had a build it yourself Hobart welder with an IND 251 on it. The intake/exhaust manifold was cracked but I knew some guys on a farm with an old Massey Harris combine. It wasn't running and had the same engine except the intake was updraft and I needed downdraft. I went to a muffler shop and got 2 curved pieces welded together to make a U shape. I moved the carb. out beside the manifold and welded some flanges on the U and no issues. It looked a little crude but worked. Looking back I didn't have any trouble removing any of the nuts on the (exhaust) manifold. I've heard many times it's common for them to break.

  17. #17crane operator2023-09-27 22:07

    My old champ forklift has a industrial chrysler. I'm thinking its called a ind32 or something, but I could be wrong. First engine I was around that had the distributor coming out the side at a angle. right in the middle of the block.

  18. #1856wrench2023-09-28 09:48

    I’ve got the ‘long block’ in my Hobart GL318. It had low oil pressure when i got it. The oil pump was worn out so i got a new one from my Massey dealer to fit a Super 92 combine. That was about 30 years ago. Easy to change on the outside of the block below the manifolds.

  19. #19skyking12023-09-28 11:10

    that's a nice feature to not have to drop the pan.

  20. #20OzDozer2023-09-28 23:47

    Actually, a lot of the late model Toyota engines have the oil pump mounted on the front of the block, a brilliant idea, it only takes a short time to recondition an oil pump. SWMBO's old Camry (2002 model) had this arrangement, but they were a PIA when they started to leak, the oil runs down the oil pan and drips off the rear, making you think you've got a rear main leak. Took me some time to figure out the leak was from the oil pump on the front of the engine. Only took a couple of hours, 2 o-rings and a oil seal, and it was all sorted!

  21. #21kshansen2023-09-29 08:15

    One rule for finding oil leaks is always check up hill and up wind! Even knowing that you can get fooled many times!

  22. #22Willie B2023-09-29 10:05

    Going back into the 1930s Dodge had 216, Plymouth had 230, or was it the other way around? Early World War 2 production was the 216, 230 was later production. 230 with 23" long head was prone to head gasket problems & cracking between cylinders 1/2 & 5/6. A newer 25" long head version was introduced, it was bored as 236, or 251. These were dependable engines. They were used in all manner of industrial machines, I had a 236 in a Westinghouse welder.

  23. #2356wrench2023-09-29 10:21

    I think i remember mid 60’s Buicks and B and RB big block Dodges also having the oil pump accessible on the outside of the timing cover