Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Reputation of R.F.E Distributors for After Market Cat LGP Tracks ?

Marsh Mutt ยท 2015-08-09 14:48

Hello Heavy Machinery users. I am in the market for a set of LGP tracks for my 1976 D7G LGP, and all roads seem to lead to RFE Distributors in Indiana. Not having ever made any purchases from RFE in the past, I thought I had better ask around from the old hands in the Cat world, to hear their opinions as to the quality of tracks sold by RFE, and the general reliability of the vendor, before I go ahead and commit the 12 thousand dollar price of the pair of D7G. Standing by :notworthy

Replies23
  1. #1nowing752015-08-09 16:08

    I have not delt with them but I believe it's a spin off company of Reynolds farm equipment the local Deere dealer. Who's make tracks are they selling?

  2. #2Marsh Mutt2015-08-09 16:24

    Thanks for the reply, Nowing75. I am pretty sure that Berco after-market tracks are what RFE sells, but their website does not mention the exact brand, and when I spoke to one of their sales reps on the phone, I must admit I clean forgot to ask about the specific brand of tracks they market, perhaps due to the sticker shock of hearing that a pair of D7G LGP track assemblies will cost me over 12 grand USD. http://www.rfedistribution.com/parts/caterpillar/

  3. #3lantraxco2015-08-09 19:18

    Sounds like a bargain to me, but then I've been out of the steel track game for a long time.

  4. #4Nige2015-08-10 04:34

    I may be looking at the wrong ones but I'm showing OEM sealed & lubricated Extreme Service tracks for a D7G at $6700 each. I would have thought based on that price aftermarket would have been less than $6000 each. As a ball park number aftermarket is generally about 1/3 less than OEM. However without knowing what Part Number you're after it's difficult to tell though. My experience with Berco undercarriage parts (admittedly on tractors larger than a D7) has been singularly unsatisfactory.

  5. #5Marsh Mutt2015-08-10 09:45

    Nige I would be very grateful if you could be so kind as to post a link here that will point me in the direction for a source where I can purchase OEM Caterpillar tracks for the D7G. I would very much prefer to go with original Cat parts whenever possible, even if that means forking over a few more dollars for that peace of mind. I will go ahead and phone RFE for clarification about whether their price quote was for OEM or Berco parts, and if it turns out to be the latter, my interest in buying where I can get OEM will revive for sure. By the way, looking at your avatar picture, I was a fan of the two Ronnies, back in the day, though I am not going to own up to also watching Benny Hill re-runs over the years. Much thanks in advance for any pointers you can throw my way.

  6. #6Nige2015-08-10 09:47

    If you like please send me a PM with your machine Serial Number. I would need to investigate exactly what Part Number of tracks you are currently using.

  7. #7Marsh Mutt2015-08-10 10:06

    Wow. Thank you very much for this generous offer, Nigel. I don't think I have been writing to this forum long enough to be allowed use of the PM channel of communication, so, if will be alright by the forum mods, I would like to quote the serial numbers here. Chassis Serial Number D7G 72W00563 Arrangement Number 8P5459 Engine 3306 Serial Number 3N99843 Arrangement Number 7N1552 Transmssion Serial Number 2GA2608 Arrangement Number 9P5382 I sure am glad I discovered this website before I actually decided to make payment for this track, and I thank you kindly for taking the time to help me narrow down my search.

  8. #8lantraxco2015-08-10 13:17

    For clarification, are we talking bare chains here, or track groups as CAT would say with shoes?

  9. #9Nige2015-08-10 13:35

    I was assuming complete track groups with shoes but now you've got me thinking...? Link groups (aka chains) would be less than the price I posted above which was for complete track groups.

  10. #10Marsh Mutt2015-08-10 14:49

    I neglected to mention that I am looking to buy complete track assemblies, shipped with with track pads bolted on to chains. The tracks on my D7G LGP were well worn when I got the tractor, after which I wrung as many hours as I could before deciding that the time had come to bite the bullet and buy the new pair of tracks that will be so much more reliable for the job of excavating catfish ponds in muddy riverbank areas.

  11. #11lantraxco2015-08-10 15:07

    LGP, what type and size pads?

  12. #12Marsh Mutt2015-08-10 15:42

    My invoice from RFE, sent me after I quoted the serial numbers of the D7G LGP, describes the pads as "Single Bar" LGP pads of 34-inch width, affixed to a chain of 8.5 inch pitch, with 3/4 inch bolt holes, and bushing diameter of 74.5mm, with a link height of 132.8mm.

  13. #13lantraxco2015-08-10 15:53

    That is a WIDE ass pad for a D7, lol!

  14. #14Nige2015-08-10 16:03

    D7G LGP tractor S/N 72W00563 was shipped from the factory in May 1981 with Track Groups Part Number 8P-0444 equipped SALT link groups and 34"-wide single grouser shoes. That Part Number has been replaced and is only available made to order (not kept in stock anywhere in other words). Price is $6500 each, I have no idea what delivery would be. Maybe a non-Cat source like Offroad Equipment might have the genuine Cat part available. Silly question but do you NEED LGP shoes on your tracks..? What type of work does the tractor do..?

  15. #15Marsh Mutt2015-08-10 16:16

    Thanks for this clarification that Cat no longer manufactures this particular track, Nige. This means it is very likely that my only alternative will be after-market tracks. I originally acquired this tractor for excavating catfish ponds in terrain that can get quite muddy at least for the first few pushes, and for this duty, LGP tracks are essential, even though I am aware that LGP tracks do accelerate the wear of all undercarriage components, from the rollers to the sprocket teeth.

  16. #16Marsh Mutt2015-08-10 16:23

    I just re-read your post, and now have a question about your reference to "made to order" tracks. Would those made to order tracks be original Cat tracks, and if so, are you aware of any authorized Cat outlet where I can inquire about ordering such one-off tracks ? At $6,500 each, these made to order OEM tracks are reasonably close in price to after market versions where I might be better off in the long run going with Cat tracks in preference to any other version of the original.

  17. #17Nige2015-08-10 16:55

    Cat refer to them as MAO (Made as Ordered) parts. Basically slow-moving parts that are not worth keeping in the system but if any customer comes with an order for them the factory will make them. As far as I can see your tracks are no longer stocked but should be available MAO. Possibly the tracks may not be available completely assembled but come as a Link Group (chain assy) with the shoes supplied loose. If that is the case the dealer should assemble them before delivery because the price in the Parts system is stated for the complete assembly. I suggest you contact your Cat dealer and ask them what they can do to supply 2 x 8P-0444 Track Groups completely assembled. FYI each 8P-0444 Track Group breaks down as follows: - 1 x 8P-2902 Link As. - cancelled & replaced by 239-6882 Link As. To install these link assemblies will require the sprocket segments on the tractor to be replaced. It will need 5 x 197-9679 Sprocket Segment for each side of the tractor. 40 x 8P-0430 Track Shoe - now replaced by 376-1266. 1 x 8P-0429 Master Shoe - now replaced by 376-1268. 160 x 7H-3598 Bolt 160 x 1S-1860 Nut All those parts are indicated as being available somewhere in the World, it's just a matter of getting them all into the same place at the same time.

  18. #18Marsh Mutt2015-08-11 01:49

    Much thanks for these manufacturing specs that will be very useful when I contact Cat for these elusive LGP tracks for my almost antique tractor. This is the first time that I have encountered the term "Made As Ordered", which will help focus my search in the Cat network. Once again I am very grateful for the information you have been so kind as to provide here. I now have a workable option to going the route of settling for Berco tracks obtained from RFE, and this is much appreciated.

  19. #19Marsh Mutt2016-04-28 02:22

    Hello Nige, I am reaching the stage of pulling my hair out in clumps, as I endeavor to purchase the tracks needed for my D7G LGP dozer. The company called RFE Distributions, located in Greensville, Indiana, insisted on a bank wire transfer as payment for my new tracks, so I made a trip to London two weeks ago, for the specific purpose of personally showing up in my bank to request the wire transfer to be made to RFE. I walked out of the bank with a confirmatory printout of my intended payment to RFE, and ASSUMED things would go smoothly from that point forward. http://www.rfedistribution.com/parts-request/ Well, that simple wire transfer transaction is morphing into an undertaking of MONUMENTAL difficulty, as the bank "forgot" to carry out the wire transfer, and has offered a series of apologies in response to my repeated phone calls that I began making shortly after I arrived back in Africa. No actual REASONS have been provided by the bank for its refusal to send my payment to RFE, besides the profuse apologies offered each time I make another phone inquiry, so, I have finally reached the limit of my patience. I am addressing this inquiry to Nige because my extensive internet searches have yielded not one company besides RFE, that can supply tracks for my D7G LGP, and I was hoping that perhaps Nige, or any other writers in this forum, may be aware of a supplier of after market Cat tracks for '70's vintage LGP dozers, preferably in the UK , such that the issue of overseas wire transfers can be removed from the equation entirely, whereby I can make my purchase with PayPal, or with my debit card drawn on a UK bank. A while back I purchased a few Caterpillar parts from a Caterpillar vendor located in Slough, near London, but that dealership does not show up in my searches for vendors capable of ordering up LGP tracks for a dozer of 70's vintage, so I assume that will not be a viable supplier in this instance. With regards to RFE Distributions, I am frankly getting nervous about going through with my purchase from them simply because NOBODY in this forum seems to have ever heard of the outfit, which I find VERY odd, given the combined decades of Caterpillar experience shared by writers to this forum. Thus, after numerous fruitless searches online, I would like to ask here again for the name and address of any tried and tested supplier of LGP Cat dozer tracks , preferably located in Britain. Any advice that could help me end this exasperating search would be enormously appreciated. Much thanks in advice.

  20. #20Nige2016-04-28 04:29

    I suggest that you should contact Finning UK - http://www.finning.co.uk/ - and contact their parts team. They will have something in their parts system that will be dedicated for export (so that VAT is not paid on the sale) I am sure. Tell them what you need and ask the question what's the best way to get it. The second option is to try Unatrac - www.unatrac.com/

  21. #21Marsh Mutt2016-04-28 04:43

    Thanks so much Nige. You may well have saved me from falling prey to a classic internet method of separating the unwary from their money. As soon as I finish typing these words, I'll be on the phone to my bank, to thank them for their caution, and to request an immediate stop on that wire transfer I foolishly requested. It is ironic that right up till about an hour ago, I was livid that my bank didn't act on my payment instructions promptly. Now I can't thank them enough ha ha. Would it be alright with you if I cut and paste your entire response above when I contact the Cat dealers. Your research results will save them the trouble of looking up the part numbers. Naturally, I will credit yourself and this learned forum as the source of that quote listing the updated parts numbers that comprise my D7G LGP track assemblies, if you will permit the verbatim forwarding of your words to the Cat dealership. Finally, I find myself reminded again today of the old saying that when all alternatives have been exhausted, it is best to simply follow existing instructions. Warmest regards.

  22. #22Nige2016-04-28 06:36

    AFAIK (and this may have changed) Unatrac was the company in UK that English-speaking customers went to in order to buy parts for sale and export outside the UK. However as Finning is the UK Cat dealer I think if I was you I'd try them first. Try this particular link, fill in the online form and see if you get any joy........ http://www.finning.co.uk/Parts/AskTheExpert.aspx

  23. #23Marsh Mutt2016-04-28 14:36

    Per your recommendation, Nige, Finning will be my first port of call for this LGP track purchase, followed by Unatrac, if Finning is unable to have this track made up. Even if it takes a whole lot longer and costs a bit more than my previous quote, I just feel so much safer placing my trust and payment in the hands of a long-standing Caterpillar outlet that is known throughout the UK. Your timely advice saved me in the nick of time, from winding up holding an empty bag, and wondering what happened. I am certain quite a few other users of this forum can measure their gratitude for your professional opinions on all matters Caterpillar, in pounds and dollars saved over the years. Best wishes sir.