Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

the route i wanna go

CatManDoes ยท 2009-06-23 09:07

i have been a mechanic[in all aspects form small gas mechanics to diesel mechanics to hydraulic systems. worked on neighbor farm machinery and automobiles for over 25 yrs and have my first level in auto mechanics. been a head golf course mechanic for 22 yrs and had guys assiting me. but now here is my question now after all that i want to be a licenced heavy duty mechanic. so what i am asking is since i got my first level in auto mechanics can i apprentice as a diesel mechanic instead of auto mechanics!!!

Replies2
  1. #1Bigstevex42009-06-23 10:23

    Dont need no licence to mechanic on heavy eguipment ive ever seen ive been around the biz for 30 plus my dad was in the biz got me my job. i think cat has some kind of certifacation thing just paper to impress customers.

  2. #23thirteen2009-06-23 18:28

    I was able to credit hours from my millwright apprenticeship. Therefore, I actually started as a second year HET. I believe Alberta Apprenticeship board could credit you for your Automotive training to a given point. Another guy in our shop was a Journeyman Automotive tech and he got third year. Check out www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca for details. Bigstevex4, I definitely see your point. I know lots of successful guys without "trade papers". Personally, with todays economy and the competitive job market, a piece of paper means a lot, especially here in Alberta.