Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Sad Side Of Trucking

King of Obsolete ยท 2007-05-02 19:53

it is spring and time to pop the old tires off the rims. after 14 tires, my back is sore and the BEER tastes great, LOL thansk

Replies51
  1. #1King of Obsolete2007-05-02 19:55

    forgot to add the email notice of replies. thansk

  2. #2Dozerboy2007-05-02 20:11

    I'm guessing there is only one way for the KoO to brake down a tire, by hand? I hurt just thinking about it.:drinkup

  3. #3King of Obsolete2007-05-02 20:48

    yes i'm the KING OF OBSOLETE so it is the old fashion way. to beam them up, i borrow buddy barry's tire blaster. LOL the BEER is now starting to take the PAIN away, LOL thansk

  4. #4wrenchbender2007-05-02 20:58

    King, I can feel your pain I used to break tires down the same way. Now I use oak boards & 4X4's placed carfully on the tire and run'em over with anything I have that's heavy enough to break the bead. Beats the heck out of swinging the hammer mind you there is still some hammer work even this way.

  5. #5King of Obsolete2007-05-02 21:19

    breaking the bead was easy, it was the dismounting that was fun, lots of soap and water and 3 bars. some popped off other tested my temper, LOL thansk

  6. #6Dieselglory2007-05-02 22:09

    king i can see why you do this the way you do maybe a couple pieces of equipt. you bite the bullet and get R done, but the comp i work for, a garbage company with roughly 70-80 trucks have an 65 yr old man do them all by hand. hammer and bar method poor guy what a work ethic though,... anyway i admire your spirit to keep on keepin on... Ron:drinkup

  7. #7dayexco2007-05-02 22:29

    soooooooooo.....what does a case of beer cost up north these days?

  8. #8King of Obsolete2007-05-03 09:06

    thansk, no way i could do that many tires for that many vehicles, it would be drunk every night, LOL milk up here is $7.00 a gallon, and 12 of beer in bottles is $19.00 it is the same everywhere in the province. the government wants to keep us drunk. thansk

  9. #9Lashlander2007-05-03 09:31

    The saddest side of trucking is having to buy all those tires.

  10. #10King of Obsolete2007-05-03 09:37

    buying them is not bad as long as they are bald when you change them out. sad part is changing a tire that is 2 weeks old and the driver or so called driver cut the side wall right out of it. in canada you can not take the tire of his pay check. the fellow can wreck everything you own and nothing you can do about it. ok, i'll get of the soapbox, LOL thansk

  11. #11Lashlander2007-05-03 09:40

    Yaa, I almost added " and ruining one on your first trip " but didn't want to ruin your day!

  12. #12King of Obsolete2007-05-03 09:48

    oh i had an employee do that too. just mount 4 brand new loader tires on my little 922 cat loader. the fellow drove it out of the shop and turned and side wall cut the tire and it went flat right now. then he did want to stay and help mount the old bald tire back on the rim because his girlfriend wanted him home. the tire was scrap because the tire shop would not do a repair, it was a big cut and he drove over something very big too. i figured out very soon that if you are unemployed and wanting a job there is a reason why you are unemployed. in the great white north there are a lot of people that don't want to work, when they do work they work until they get enough for unemployment insurance then don't show up for work. i found i make better money as the KING OF OBSOLETE selling my book and underwear on the internet then when i had 6 guys wandering and i mean wandering around, LOL. oh i better get off the soapbox, somebody better hide the soapbox so i don't get back up on it for the next reply, LOL thansk

  13. #13Dano502007-05-03 11:05

    At least you've got a great work ethic. :drinkup Please tell me you don't really sell your underwear on Ebay. I mean, who would buy them???

  14. #14King of Obsolete2007-05-03 12:41

    thansk, i put everything else on ebay but my underwear is on my online stores. http://www.cafepress.com/kingofobsolete http://www.cafepress.com/cattraintours thansk

  15. #15Dano502007-05-03 12:45

    Very cool stuff. I hope its working well for you.

  16. #16King of Obsolete2007-05-03 12:51

    i'm pleased, i have not had a real job in 10 years, i making a living as the KING of OBSOLETE, LOL the website gets over million hits a month which is not bad. thansk

  17. #17Dano502007-05-03 13:00

    That sounds better than not bad to me!:notworthy

  18. #18Serv2007-05-03 13:42

    At least the tires in the pics are tubeless. I'd feel alot more sorry for you if they were tube type As for the cuts in the sidewall, rather than throwing those away you can send them to the nearest recap plant and have them fixed. If not, I can teach you how to fix them (if they are within repairable limits). We've been vulcanizing truck tires every day now for over 11 years.

  19. #19King of Obsolete2007-05-03 13:51

    thansk, the side wall cut tire end up being trown out. i see that modern ways are saving lots of tires. thansk

  20. #20wrenchbender2007-05-03 17:31

    Hey KoO, I think Dano50 thought they were your drawers you were selling.

  21. #21King of Obsolete2007-05-03 18:44

    no no no, my CHIP and DALE underwear is not for sale, mark's silk HO HO boxer short for sale. 6 months later mark is still getting teased about his underwear, LOL http://kingofobsolete.ca/monster_truck_runs_reindeer_lake_WEBPAGE.htm thansk

  22. #22Dano502007-05-03 19:05

    I did! :jawdrop Glad to hear I was wrong.

  23. #23King of Obsolete2007-05-03 19:09

    i would not want to think what the bids would be like and who would bid on my CHIP and DALE underwear on ebay. i might end up with a few new freinds for life, LOL thansk

  24. #24atgreene2007-05-04 09:58

    You mean you don't have a KOO THONG? You gotta get one.

  25. #25digger242j2007-05-04 10:23

    That's odd. Yesterday, the King's underwear line was ther in the Apparel section, but today it's not. Fortunately, the link was in my browser "history". http://www.cafepress.com/king_belle.34576729

  26. #26King of Obsolete2007-05-05 13:54

    thansk, i forgot about those underwear. the teenage kids made those one up, LOL thansk

  27. #27LowBoy2007-05-05 18:56

    Tires & Beer + a can of Ether= Big Boom... King, I know what you are going through, been doing it the HARD way all my life too. The solution is easy, though... I noticed at the very least, all your tires are tubeless. Good start. Now...forget your neighbors air blaster tank. Use ETHER. Here's why... You use tire blaster tank, no excitement. You use ether, and couple it with beer ...you have quality excitement. Let's review. 20 some odd years ago my deceased brother and I, (death not related to this story,) changed all 18 tires on his tractor and trailer. Started at 8 a.m. Saturday, first beers opened 9 a.m. First tire dismounted/remounted 8:30 a.m. Ether sprayed liberally inside of tire, and a trail sprayed down sidewall, assistant has air hose nervously ready in one hand...BIC lighter in other. Ignition and BAAAAWOOOOFFF!!! tire swells against bead, airman catches stem, mission accomplished. Tire # 4 dismounted/remounted by 11:45 a.m., beer numbers 6-8 each by then. Can of ether # 3 gets sprayed LIBERALLY more and more each beer /tire. Now we have more "cahunas" and more beer in us by lunchtime. Tires 6-10 get layed down in sequence, dis.-mnt./re-mnt., now only with approximately 1/3 of a can of ether per tire because of cahunas and beer . Man with airhose (me,) not so good with spontaneously igniting ether and immediately catching air chuck on stem now... Tires 14-18 layed out same as last set, beers number 16-18 ...or something by now. Getting low on ether , not beer . By tire # 16, airman with hose not so cooridinated with sequence as previously planned. Air hose man sprays ether even more liberally in tire # 15, ignites tail of ethe r sprayed onto ground, and tire goes KAAAASTINKIN'BOOOOOMMMMM!!!! Airhose man got knocked onto arse, tire came 12" off of ground, brother landed 6 feet away from blast, unharmed but shaken. All tires successfully done and put back on, at 8:00 p.m... Continued to drink rest of beer. Next trip out to California with new tires, 12 out of 18 (true story...,) exploded. Moral to story... Ether and tires and beer works good together, only always remember to let ether escape from valve stem before inflating tire completely before driving 75 m.p.h. grossing 80K (+/-,) across desert. Don't let any beer escape whatever you do... Of course, you probably don't have much of a desert in the Great White North, but the same theory would apply.

  28. #28Squizzy246B2007-05-05 19:07

    :lmao :lmao :lmao Maybe this should be posted in the "confession is good for the soul" thread..

  29. #29DPete2007-05-05 19:07

    12 out of 18 not bad. Cheaper to sit home and consume beverage let a tire man do the work . :drinkup dp

  30. #30surfer-joe2007-05-05 19:30

    When I did the Route 2&4 job in southern Maryland, I used a commercial tireman out of Washington DC. He was a biker dude, but very good with tires, and quick too, or so I thought at first. His secret was to use gasoline on the tire beads both as a lubricant, and as a way to seat the beads in the rims. I didn't know he was doing this for a while till I watched him at work one day. Lube up beads with gas, install tire on rim. Install flange ringe and lock ring. Beat with hammer. Light gas with Bic lighter and jump back. Wooooof!!! Inflate tire to proper pressure. This guy was completely unsafe around truck tires. He beat everything apart and back together with a sledge hammer, didn't bother to clean out bead seats or lock ring grooves, and then there was his inflation technique, which did not involve using a tire-cage. Just lean the tire up against something and put the chuck on the stem. Beat with hammer whilst inflating, usually standing right in front. He would use Murphy Tire Compound on 39.5X39 scraper tires, usually a full five gallon bucket on every one. If the big outer flange ring didn't move after removing the lock ring, he'd inflate tire with air till the flange blew off. If he had trouble reinflating the tire after repair or it's replacement, out came the gasoline. He didn't like using a chain or strap to squeeze the tire, said "those were dangerous. Gas was better." Like I say, he was fast.

  31. #31PSDF3502007-05-05 19:40

    Was watching a show about crossing the artic with built up trucks for trip. There tire changing method was similar. Forget what they used to seat the tires, but worked slick as you know what.

  32. #32LowBoy2007-05-05 20:10

    Hey, I wouldn't tell that story to anybody for years until now, Squizzy...the embarrasment has finally subsided, now it just stays in the "Stupid Things I Have Done Before, But Would Probably Do Again With Beer" file...:drinkup

  33. #33LowBoy2007-05-05 20:13

    I wonder if their "method" included beer??? That ingredient always has and always will make a task more interesting.

  34. #34King of Obsolete2007-05-05 20:17

    oh i have had a run in with ether and tires, when i was 16 and working for a trucking company. they bought a semi load of cheap china tires. these things were flat and try and get them to seat was next to impossible. so the boss decided to use ether, a little bit at a time and the china tire would not seat. so he really sprayed the ether. well the tire and me went one way and the rim went the other way. i thought i was standing far enough back because i didn't trust this guy. when i woke up in the hospital 2 days later, i could still smell ether for some reason. i have never used ether on tires since, chains and come-a-longs or bead blaster to get the bead. ether is for start detroit engines and nothing else, LOL thansk

  35. #35Squizzy246B2007-05-05 20:18

    I have some of those.....maybe I'll go to confession in Digger's thread oneday

  36. #36LowBoy2007-05-05 20:20

    Naaaahh. Anybody can sit on their arse and drink beverage at home while tireman is doing all the work. It takes a REAL man to fill 18 tires up with pure ether and blow up 12 of them for lack of sobriety. What's the fun in owning trucks if you actually MAKE any money with them? As the old saying goes and rings true..."If you want to make a million dollars in the trucking business, start off with 2. (million that is.)

  37. #37LowBoy2007-05-05 20:24

    I still say, there's nothing like the sweet smell of ether, burning tire, eyebrows and beer first thing in the morning...:naughty :naughty

  38. #38King of Obsolete2007-05-05 20:43

    no, owning a truck is like having an ex-wife, it just loves money, the more you make the more it takes, LOL thansk

  39. #39LowBoy2007-05-05 21:47

    And to add to that K. ., (without getting too graphic,) if it's got T**s naughty), Tires, or Tracks...it's GONNA give you TROUBLE...

  40. #40DPete2007-05-05 21:53

    Yeh, and I have all three :dizzy dp

  41. #41Orchard Ex2007-05-05 21:58

    I know that it makes for a funny story and I don't want to wet blanket the whole idea, but I knew a guy that was killed doing that same thing. Doing a roadside remount, used too much ether, tire/wheel blew up. Was a real nice guy, good mechanic, got in a hurry. Left a wife and kids behind. Surfer, what did you do on 2/4? That's my neck of the woods if it was far enough south.

  42. #42LowBoy2007-05-05 22:33

    You're in deep kimshi like the rest of us then...:falldownlaugh

  43. #43King of Obsolete2007-05-05 23:16

    yes there are days when you wonder if the T**S is worth it, tires and tracks you can always fix or adjust them the next day or so. LOL i have all 3 of the "T" and wonder somedays too, LOL thansk

  44. #44nedly052007-05-06 07:52

    If she wears those undies youre trying to sell, Id say its worth it!!!

  45. #45atgreene2007-05-06 08:16

    I hope that when you say "I have" you mean that in a general way, not personnally.

  46. #46King of Obsolete2007-05-06 13:10

    yes in a general way, if i had my own set of T**S, then we have a problem, LOL the tracks and tires have there days too, right now i'm making money cause nothing is moving but that can change in 2 days time, LOL thansk

  47. #47surfer-joe2007-05-06 20:46

    Hi Orchard Ex, The outfit I was working for was losing their equipment superintendent on a road job there at Lusby. I was all done in Kentucky and needed a place to go, so we moved to the Chesapeake Ranch Club and I finished this job out. The kids went to classes in Solomon's Island at Our Lady Star Of The Sea catholic school. Nice school and a very scenic setting. We ate lunch on the Island a lot. It was a fairly good deal. The previous year, the project management spent all the budgeted money and really ticked off the Maryland DOT. They did all the easy work and left the really crappy stuff. That project team was mostly fired. So we had all new people when I got there. We had five 651B's, the only ones in Maryland by the way, two D9G pushcats, a 14F, an 825C, one old water truck, a fuel truck, a lube truck, and I think we started with a 235 excavator, but didn't have it long. My office was just north of Lusby near the end of our stretch. The project office was in a little brown log cabin right in Lusby. Williams had the last piece of 2&4 right down to the bridge over to Lexington Park. I worked closely with Albin Tractor, and Carter over in Virginia. Albin didn't have much in stock for the big stuff, but Carter could get it overnight from their other stores and have it to us usually by ten in the morning. I reunited with a guy that I worked with in Wyoming, several years earlier, on this little road job. We had shared a trailer in Douglas while working on a uranium stamp site prep job. He had just become the new project manager there at Lusby, and was quite beside himself when he found out all the dirty details of what had happened the previous year. MDOT had told him that they were going to hold his nose to the grindstone and he was going to have to make everything right from the year before, in addition to finishing out the job on schedule. I did a quick equipment inspection and found that the iron was in fair shape. But as we had to go thorough three really swampy sections, doubted that 651's were the way to go. We got a company dirt boss in from Kentucky, and a truck boss from Ohio whom had worked overseas for SJ Groves for many years. We trudged along the swamps and other sections looking the job over and these guys said "no problem." That was an understatement of course. If you are familiar enough with the region between the Potomac and the Chesapeake, you know it is all soft sand, wet clay, and slimy mud. There isn't a rock in that part of Maryland unless it fell off a truck. We had a hell of a time, but did get the dirt done OK. Then there was the soil cement and cleanup, gravel sub-base, and asphalt installation. Lot's of problems every step of the way. We rented a lot of equipment to finish up with, more excavators, graders, vibratory compactors, smaller scrapers and smaller dozers. I sold most of the big iron off the job, some of it was pretty old. The scrapers all went to 651 heaven in California as did both D9's. Some stuff went up to Pennsylvania and New Jersey where there were more company jobs finishing up. Last was demobilization. We laid off just about all the hands except one mechanic and my oiler. They helped disassemble and load equipment onto Lo-boys and packed everything else up. I was then assigned to a dam project in New Jersey. The project actually finished ahead of schedule, and it did make money and we all got a little bonus for that. Interesting place to work, but we didn't like the weather much nor the region. Still, we made it up to Annapolis, Baltimore, or DC almost every weekend. Lots of history there and we made the best of it.

  48. #48LowBoy2007-05-06 21:08

    Million Dollars to be Made... Wait, wait King...we may be onto something here. You get a pair of those T **s and market your picture on your website. Something like, "Great White Northern Man has bulldozers, trucks, and Great White T**s..." :beatsme I guarantee you'll increase from a million hits a month to who knows what once that hits the cyberspace world...Just remember your 'ol buddy down in the Green Mountains when you hit it big...:wink2 Only thing is though is most of the people responding to your new venture will be from Vt., Ma., N.J. and soon to be N.Y...

  49. #49mflah872007-05-11 21:42

    I just had (4) 11/24.5 tires put on a tenwheeler. Cost me $2200 PLUS installation. In the end I think it came out to $2800. The cost of tires is unreal.

  50. #50LowBoy2007-05-12 07:41

    I can relate to that, and feel your pain, man. One of the many reasons I sold my last truck after a lot of years watching everything increase except for the revenue. The last set of 24.5's I bought approx. 2 yrs. ago I remember were exactly $2400.00 for a set of drives---ALL 8! that included mounting. Must be the oil prices affecting tire prices, as oil is a key ingredient in the mfg. process. Makes running a small business less fun as time goes by, doesn't it?

  51. #51richardcatdaddy2007-06-22 19:16

    :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy