I just took delivery of a new Mack granite with a dual lift system for picking up cans. It has a hook and a cable. Time will tell how the hoist works but for the meantime it works very well. Check out the website www.refuseparts.com This truck is a demo that was the Mack show truck for the '06 Waste Expo. We got it with 8k miles on it with full new truck warranty. I prefer a hook-lift for its speed and safety but this will allow the same truck to pull cable cans. It's a different animal to operate than a cable or hook-lift but you get the hang of it after a while. This was the first load of 30CY cans we had delivered. Up until now we only had a single axle F650 and Hino with 10CY and 15Cy cans. I hope the venture into the bigger cans will pay off. Specs on truck: 405HP Mack Allison 4500 automatic - which is great for driving in town traffic 44K rears 20K front Dual-lift hoist O'brian diablo tarper
:Banghead sharp, let us know how you like that auto trans. Hopefully they have enough of a cooler on it. Darn new international we have, sloped hood on one of the box trucks, trans fluid always turns orange, burnt. International says because of the sloped hood, thy dont have a lot of "front space" and the trans cooler is too small, engineering flaw, itll always overheat no fix to it. I think its bs, but do know the hood sos loped pretty godo, no room for a bigger cooler.
DAMN now thats slick
That system is pretty cool. I am not sure if it would fit my needs, but great idea!
What kind of International is it? I have a 7600 tandem dump in my excavation company with a C13 and 4500 allison that is 3 years old. We use it to pull a 45k pintle trailer to move 953's and small dozers around. Never had a problem with the trans. overheating but boy have we had electrical and A/C issues with it. Turbos, clutch fans, radiators, and now for the second time the A/C went out. The local international dealer is pathetic on service - sounds like your dealer is as full of BS as mine. After driving this Mack roll-off I am planning on getting rid of the International and getting a Mack tri-axle. I went and toured the local Mack dealer and was impressed. We purchased this roll-off from Nuss trucks - our local dealer is Nextran. Anyway we took the roll-off to Nextran to have a few things fixed under warranty. The service department was great and had the truck ready in 2 days. My future Mack salesman did not know this was my truck (the roll-off) and the service department treated us like we were Waste Management with a fleet of Macks.:thumbsup If it would have been International they would have let the truck sit for 2 weeks before they even looked at it. (this is no exaggeration) Timely parts and service are very important. International made a great medium duty truck up until the 4300 series with all the multi-plex wiring. The 4700's were just good, well-built work trucks. I think they made them from the early 90's until 01. I have a '00 4700 that we turned into a service truck. It's a plain and simple truck without all the electronic tomfoolery. Boy I am starting to sound like an old timer.
Let us know how you like the Mack's, lots of guys here have been saying that they're going downhill. Starting to see more & more, Kenworths, Peterbilts, Sterlings & Western Stars................
nice truck, man, and it sounds like a great deal as a demo. What kinda cans you running,and what do you haul in them?
Jazak- I'll be honest and say that this is my first Mack. I currently have an International on the dirt side and while the truck itself is not junk, it has had problems and the dealer is pathetic - I won't be buying another anytime soon. The three vocational dealers in town are KW, Sterling and Mack. When I say vocational I mean they specialize mostly in dump,mixer,etc. The Pete and Freight Shaker dealers concentrate on OTR. I looked at the Sterling with the same specs and it was $20K more and a 4-6 week wait for the hoist. I guess time will tell about the Mack. Thanks Wolf. I hope we get many years of good service out of it. We are running tubs and boxes. The boxes in the picture are from NuLife Environmental and they are both cable and hook lift compatible. We recieved some tubs last week from Baker Waste that were just hook lift. I like the hook lift for its speed and safety (no broken cables). The nice thing about this hoist is it has the capability to also pull cable cans which allows us to haul other companies boxes like retail store compactors. We haul mostly C&D waste for GC's and Demo contractors. Our smaller cans (10-15Cy) mostly go out to retail customers like homeowners and small contractors. I would like to entertain the possibility of getting into demo. I have always enjoyed tearing things down.
I do not have any rool offs or hook lifts but arnt the rail systems for these units unique to each brand? especially trying to lift both types on common rail? I know that the hook lifts have locks that keep the body on or tight to the frame.
There is an industry standard of approx. 36in but some vary a little Hook hoists do have hold downs but most are mounted on the outside of the rails as to not cause a problem with the cable/rail trucks. All my small containers 20yd and smaller are all set up combination so both trucks can pull em. Def helps when a cust puts 15 tons of dirt in a 15yd can and the little hook trucks don't have a chance.
Isn't that the truth! All our cans are either hook lift only or combo. If we have to send the tandem out to pick up an overloaded small can we charge extra plus over tonnage. Roofers and Landscapers ointhead There are many different manufacturers of the rail systems but all you have to do is get the same measurements for your hoist and can. Our small hooks and dual-lift are the same size outside rail. Some hoists are outside rail only, inside rail only or inside/outside rail. We run outside rail - that being the cans bottom rails slide on rollers on the outside of the hoist rails. Most are all the same size and sorry that I don't know the exact size. The small hooks have a clip welded to the rail to hold the can down when it is loaded. The dual lift has "Hookers" which are air-operated and grab the can when fully retracted on the truck. They work off the air-operated PTO - disengage the PTO and they fold up into place. The're pretty slick - time will tell how they hold up.
yup $150 plus tonnage @ 60 a tn
Cheapest gate rate is $19 for C&D and MSW, highest gate rate is $29 for both. We have a few pits where we are at $18 per ton. Is $60 per ton with your mark-up? On rent + haul + tonnage we try to tack at least $5 per ton over our gate rate. Most of our cans are flat rate with a tonnage cap.
That's a nice unit looking unit! I thought about getting one of those, but decided to go with a hook only system!
Welcome K&W.:drinkup You probably made the right decision. We got the dual-lift for it's versatility. We have several compactors leased out to Big Box retailers that we haul and the cans are all cable - hence the need for versatility. The hook is faster and more stable -IMO. Our newest truck is an Ampiroll hook and it works great - mounted on '07 Mack tandem. We have a few combo cans (hook and cable) but the majority of our cans are hook only. What kind of hook do you have?
Hook or Cable What's the consensus? Which do you like better, hook or cable, and when does it make sense to get both (we all admit the dual lift deal is awesome)?
we don't use hook's & you never see them on big trucks around here just small ones! For strength & power you can't beat the cable.
Hey Wolf - the hook is a better system IMO. Like I stated previously, the dual lift is nice if you have to pull both types of cans. Running mostly hook cans, it is nice to have the ability with one truck to pull cable cans - like the compactors we pull. The driver can pull and dump a compactor at the grocery store with the cable and then go grab a 30CY with the hook at a construction site - all with the same truck. The dual lift is not as fast as a hook and has more moving parts with the slide rail, so the dual lift requires more maintenance. So to answer the question, I would say a hook is a better unit IMO. I will have to disagree with you on that, not necessarily on strength but on efficiency and the bottom line. The hook is faster and safer than a cable - no cable to break and go through the truck cab. Although a cable breaking is common, going through the cab is not - but still deadly. The hook is much faster than a cable. The driver does not have to leave the truck to load, unload and spot cans. If your 36K LB hook can't pick up the can - then you can't legally haul the can anyway - with a tandem chassis. Most of our 30CY average 6-8 tons. I will take speed and efficiency over a slower system that requires the driver to get out twice and unhook a cable to swap a can out. I would say conservatively that we average one extra can a day with a hook over a cable - and that directly effects the bottom line.
Ever have a cable snap on you? Not having to get out of the truck to swap out a can is a big advantage, and the safety issues you point out, about the cables snapping, is key. How many of you have ever had a cable snap? What happened?
my cable on my rolloff snapped in half and busted out my window because of a faulty cable
I don't have one yet, I'm going round in round in regards to my cab and chassis (I'm trying to get one with a 2007 pre DPF emmissions motor),but I'm going with the ampliroll. I think the model number is 160/1900. It's the same size as the 2000, but only has a 50,000lb lifting capacity. Since I plan on pulling a pup trailer, I don't think I need the 65,000lb model, but I do need the longer frame to have the ability to pull 24' boxes.
That is very nice new Mack, :notworthy, someday when I get a new dump I plan on a Mack, best service around for me. Also the only dealer that has come to my shop and asked me to buy my next truck from them. Most of the larger trucking guys here use Macks. The Pete dealer has OTR only.
I never had a cable snap on me ! you have to inspect it, if its frayed & old replace it. I'm running a triaxle with a 75,000 lb american hoist picking up 20yds loads with broken concrete & dirt that hook wont pick them up!
I don't know about that. I think that americans biggest hoist set up is rated at 75,000 pounds, and the biggest hooklifts I've seen are rated at 65,000 pounds......so that's not that much difference....especially since you cant legally haul 65,000 pounds worth of payload on a single unit anywhere in the in the continental US!!!!
Exxactly!:thumbsup In my neck of the woods I can carry 26 tons on my tri-axle dump, with an 18CY bed. This grosses right at 80K lbs and change which is right at the weight limit for secondary roads - forget about the Interstate. That gives you roughly 52K lb of payload on a tri-axle. I really don't see the need for a hook or cable to rated for more than that, unless you are primarily hauling off-road. In any small business money is always tight and paying for more capacity than you need is a waste of money. Thanks for the compliments Jmac!:drinkup
it's not how much you can haul its the angle a stress to pull the heavy boxes on the truck. that hook has a lot of stress on it! an 10k is a big weight difference.
I have a tri-axle roll off and a single-axle hook lift. My single axle will carry what it is rated for 17,000 empty with a can so gives me 8 ton off load. My tri-axle is 36,000 empty and I can carry 22 ton leagly so what good is haveing my hoist rated for 37.5 ton?
nac Doesn't your truck have a 75k hoist? It's not about how muck you can carry it's about pulling the container on. a dumptruck hauls 22 tons & has a 40 ton hoist