Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Toy Shop – Show off your Homemade toy machines

Born2clearcut · 2011-03-09 13:21

I have noticed throughout the forums some very talented people that have made some pretty cool homemade toys . I have made a couple myself , so i figure we should have a spot too show them off . so Please show your toys . This log loader i made is pretty much just from memory so its kinda just a mix of machine type. Main house is made out of oak , the counter weight ,cab , boom ,stick are Spalted Walnut , Heel and tracks are walnut with a maple burl undercarriage. All rams go in and out the grapple open /close /rotate and swings free . tracks turn and house swings 360 degrees.

Replies94
  1. #1Born2clearcut2011-03-09 17:03

    forgot this picture of the inside of cab before i put roof on

  2. #2instagator2011-03-09 18:01

    That is a really nice beer bottle! LOL just playing the loader looks really nice. How do you get the booms to stay up, and how long did it take you to build it?

  3. #3skadill2011-03-09 20:35

    Roadbuilder Conversion Custom plastic high walker U/C,cab riser,old type guarding,roadbuilder fuel tank.Havent got around to the hyd. thumb yet.Tough to find time to do the fun stuff.Model was originally a Yellow 25$ Ros Agri model Hyundai 290.Bic pen springs make good hose guards.

  4. #4Ryan Rønning2011-03-10 04:20

    Very nice work you guys. These are awesome looking. What is the scale on both of your models?

  5. #5Born2clearcut2011-03-10 10:22

    You think the outside of the bottle is nice,you should of seen the inside instagator lol . I made snug fitting pins for the boom ect also the the rams are a snug fit inside the cylinders so they seem to really help hold everything up. For how many hours i never really kept track . took alot of time to design some things since i had no plans and first time i done something like this ... Ryan Ronning the scale on mine is just Eyeballed to fit ( before the beer bottle was empty ) . Thats a good idea with the pen springs skadill

  6. #6Jdigger41302011-03-10 19:44

    Great stuff fellas! I am enroute as I write to the Harrisburg Or toy show! I hope to return w a yarder in 25th scale and who knows what else. I have A table and will be taking many pics. I have not made anything on my own yet except some long logger chassis for practice but have A few handmade things you guys should like! Will get pics going soon I hope! Thanks for sharing it w us

  7. #7skadill2011-03-10 20:08

    Homemade loader and truck.Loader took 120 hours in1992,truck took 80 to build in1997.Hats off to the wooden toy builders,I cant do wood,if you make a mistake,you start over,Steel toys just get re-cut,welded and a clean up with a grinder, theres much more room for repair and mistakes,which is the only way I can run.

  8. #8MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-17 22:10

    I noticed a RaceFace sticker, do you mountain bike by chance? And amazing model, wow....wow wow. So cool. And by the way, RaceFace has gone out of business lately.

  9. #9MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-17 22:12

    Saw these on youtube, I'd spend hours playing with those Todd, no doubt about that, I'd be 6 years old again!

  10. #10Born2clearcut2011-03-19 11:58

    yes i do some mountain biking its fun and keeps me in shape. Right now i'm riding a Giant Warp DS3 adjustable dual suspension, nice smooth ride and Thanks for the compliment on my model

  11. #11KW850&T800H2011-03-20 11:23

    Hey clear cut, it's me Mountain man here on my new profile, I'll post a picture of my bike once I get onto my computer, although we don't want to lose this thread. But I will since we both do it.

  12. #12Murk1002011-04-06 00:09

    Madill 124 Madill 044 1969 Here are a few of the models I have built over the years. Just winged it wth pictures lots of kindling for the old wood stove though...

  13. #13Jdigger41302011-04-06 00:13

    Great job!! I am looking for A guy to make me yarder in 25th scale in plastic. That is something to be real proud of Murk.

  14. #14Murk1002011-04-06 00:29

    7280s I have built 6 of them, kept 2, donated 2 to the TLA silent auction which razed over $1400. for their education fund and gave 2 away..

  15. #15Murk1002011-04-06 00:37

    Thanks!! my wife said if someone cut the top of my head off all these little Grapple Yarders would come crawling out like spiders...

  16. #16akroadrunner2011-04-06 01:45

    You guys sure are talented. Must be very patient too. I used to make some 'useful' toys. I was working on the landing on the Quinault Indian Reservation. I just didn't have a good place to take my lunch break. I usually just found a nearby stump to sit on. One day I decided to carve a seat out of the stump. I bored the bar of my McCulloch into a cedar stump and pulled out a block that left me with a nice place to sit down. The sides were just high enough to rest my arms. I started making several of these seats at every landing. Just choose a suitable cedar close to the yarder, and in a minute or so of chainsaw work, I had a chair. Got better every time I made one. I had one I liked so well, I cut the stump off and when we moved off that setting, I put it in the bed of our dump truck and hauled it home. That was in 1976. I sold the house with the 6' diameter stump/chair setting on the concrete patio in front of the house. The roof overhung the front of the house enough to keep the stump out of the weather. I drove out to the beach a couple of years ago. The chair/stump hadn't moved, but it was obviously being used by the current owner. There was an ashtray and a glass sitting on it, and a cushion on the bottom. I wonder how many people have spotted my stump chairs out in the woods and sat down and tried them out.

  17. #17trakloader2011-04-06 02:41

    Drawn by the great Len Whalen.

  18. #18akroadrunner2011-04-06 11:58

    Well, I laughed my hind quarters off. Hahaha. I never got a chance to get that comfortable working for 'the old man'. There were tricks to making those stump chairs. The back had to be angled a bit, and on the bottom the front needed to be just a little higher than the back. Also don't make it too deep or it's not right for resting you arms on. I actually used measurements to make mine after the first few. Another thing I liked to make on the landing was a sun dial. I would shove the bar down into a stump, then pound a sliver of wood in the kerf. I cut lines on top of the stump for starting time, noon, quitting time, ect. Some stumps came ready made with a splinter from falling already sticking up. Just cut in the time lines. On another note. Does anyone remember a fellow named Duncan that used to do cartoons and calanders? Was injured in the woods in the 70's, and did the art work afterwards. One qoutation I remember from a calander. 'Over the hill came Band Aid Bill, Over to the high lead side. I'll never forget these words he said, just before he died, "Remember boys, Safety First" Someone that is good at cut & paste should monogram 'Smoke" on the happy lounger, and 'Dad or Keith' on the unhappy boss. I might use it for my desktop then.

  19. #19Jumbo2011-04-06 17:50

    I think you are referring to Glen Duncan, always had a small mouse somewhere in the sketch. I believe he was a powder monkey for either CZ or Rayonier out on the West End. I heard he died just a few years ago. Personal favorite; the cuttter with the tree drifting towards the bullbuck's truck calling out to the sky: "Blow damn you blow!"

  20. #20gd10r2011-04-13 18:06

    Here are a few Roadbuilders based on the Norscot 330D chassis. The tracks look a little funny, they are still wrapped up in the factory plastic. I have some log loaders as well and a RB on an NZG Cat 325C that I purchased on the day my youngest son was born. Running out of the room to win the bid after he was a few hours old. Ill try to post up some photos when I can.

  21. #21Andre Grondin2011-04-14 08:20

    Hi ! not forestry scale model but anyway enjoy : Canadian style B-train http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/b-train/b-train_04.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/b-train/b-train_05.jpg coil trailer http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/coil_trailer/coil_trailer_008.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/coil_trailer/coil_trailer_011.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/coil_trailer/coil_trailer_009.jpg beam lowboy http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/beam trailer/beam_001.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/beam trailer/beam_003.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/beam trailer/beam_010.jpg 10x3 heavy haul Kenworth http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/ken 10x3/ken_10x3_101.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/ken 10x3/ken_10x3_106.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/towoc999/ken 10x3/ken_10x3_111.jpg

  22. #22KW850&T800H2011-04-25 22:12

    Would you be willing to sell a 330D road builder? And if so, how much?

  23. #23Born2clearcut2011-07-06 18:22

    This is the lastest machine out of the toy shop

  24. #24Born2clearcut2011-11-06 12:01

    Another one rolls off the line

  25. #25Jdigger41302011-11-09 19:27

    Very COOOOOL! Love the skill man. I tried my hand at plastic and messed around w some 50 scale diecast stuff and they just look like toys for the kids not the neat ART pieces ya bust! Keep up the cool work Clearcutter!

  26. #26Born2clearcut2011-11-11 11:30

    Thanks for the compliment . I really enjoy making them . I plan to keep making them until I have one for myself

  27. #27owleater2012-01-16 06:05

    Great looking toys

  28. #28HCF2012-02-28 22:55

    These aren't all scratch built but they're all 1/50 scale diecasts that have been bastardized a little bit. Link-Belt 210LX with a log max 8000 I think it is. The trailer is actually scratch built styrene. My version of a 30K hour machine. I almost forgot about the jeep I built. It's styrene as well. I've really gotten interested in weathering lately so I think that's where I'm headed right now. For a while at least. I can't imagine working with wood though. You guys are really talented. Same with steel. Too much of a job for a hobby for me.

  29. #29Scott S2012-02-29 09:19

    This guy was selling some of his models at the Oregon Logging Conference last week. http://loggingmodelsbyed.com/index.html I really liked the TSY 255

  30. #30axeman732012-03-14 11:37

    Very nice stuff look forward to seeing more

  31. #31johnklickovic2012-06-20 04:53

    Hi everyone, my name is John Klickovic and I am new to a forum. I am 32 years old and live in Canberra, Australia. I like the forum very much, as I was a truck driver local and interstate for about six years. I got out of it two years ago but I still collect and build models of anything in 1/32 scale. Trucks are diecast New Ray and Welly models with a few remote control models as well. Also agricultural machinery in a same scale by SIKU. Construction machinery and logging equipment in this scale is hard to find so I scratch build my models. There is no logging around here so first time I noticed logging machinery was on this forum. I started building models looking at the pics. They are not a spitting image of the real thing as I like to be creative and add my bits too. I ll try to post few photos here.

  32. #32johnklickovic2012-06-20 04:56

    I cant figure how to put pics from my computer up here. If anyone cant help me that would be great.

  33. #33MrKomatsu2012-06-20 07:07

    Very nice

  34. #34SeaMac2012-06-20 07:50

    THAT! Is some amazing model making... :notworthy

  35. #35johnklickovic2012-06-23 15:01

    Realy nice models. Wonder if they got painted at all ?

  36. #36EZ TRBO2012-06-24 10:12

    HCF....love the "dirty look"...got any more of all your equipment? Trbo

  37. #37johnklickovic2012-07-02 04:04

    Thanks to Born2clearcut now I know how to post pics, only if I knew how to resize them, that would be good...I hate computers.

  38. #38johnklickovic2012-07-02 19:23
  39. #39johnklickovic2012-07-02 19:41
  40. #40johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:16

    This is how the yarder started.

  41. #41johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:20

    Home made logging machinery.

  42. #42johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:22

    Some more.

  43. #43johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:25

    Scratch built Champion 100T grader (except for wheels).

  44. #44johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:30

    Acco grader, scratch built, Acco and Champion side by side, the biggest in the world and second biggest.

  45. #45johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:37

    Some more logging pics. I know they are not exact replica which makes them toys but I still enjoy making them.

  46. #46johnklickovic2012-07-02 21:43

    More toys. I've got more, highway trucks, cars, earth moving machinery and agricultural machines all in 1/32 scale. But I wont bother you with them now.

  47. #47Born2clearcut2012-07-10 09:42

    Nice looking rig's John . Put another drum on that crane and you'll have yourself a grapple yarder lol

  48. #48jr-transport2012-07-10 23:51

    It's not done yet, but here is my 1/32 loader. All I have done sofar is paint it and put a small grapple on it Loading up by jr-transport , on Flickr

  49. #49HCF2012-07-11 00:46

    Here are a couple from my diorama. All 1/50 scale. Not completely home made but certainly bashed together. Let me know what you think.

  50. #50KW850&T800H2012-07-11 00:51

    Amazing as always Jason!

  51. #51jackd2012-11-06 21:25

    Madill 044 Plans All these great shots of the modelling efforts on the Hayes and Madill threads have got me looking at a project that I started a few years ago. The rainy weather has also driven me indoors to seek other pursuits. I got hold of some basic machine deck plans for a Madill 044 several years ago and started to loft plans for a model of the Y-35 from my M & B Sproat Lake Division days. Life events put the whole thing on hold these last few years The plans that I purchased are in a 1" to 1' scale and I'm making it somewhat easy on myself by sticking to that for the model. So the real unit is 60' tall and my model will be 60" tall when done. A fellow forum Member - DBDLS sent me over 500 pictures of the Y-09 a few years ago and I've sorted through these. Trakloader sent down the manual for the Y-30 - which I copied and am using as a resource. A big thanks goes out to both these people. The plan is make it operable - hopefully by R/C. If anyone has any suggestions or resources, please feel free to kick in. If this works out, maybe I'll get the nerve up to build a Sparmatic....

  52. #52Caterpillar941b2012-11-20 21:40

    built er just like the hitachi you had eh?

  53. #53Caterpillar941b2012-11-20 21:42

    tonka truck wheels lol thats a masive truck even scaled down!

  54. #54HD Mech2012-11-20 22:33

    I have wanted to build a model of a 144 for quite a few years now just not quite sure how to go about it. I have an operators manual that I ended up with at Eve River with some general specs. Other than that just memories from fixing them. Good luck, I hope you take pics as the build goes on, it would be cool to see them. Hint,hint. [Q UOTE=jackd;385952]All these great shots of the modelling efforts on the Hayes and Madill threads have got me looking at a project that I started a few years ago. The rainy weather has also driven me indoors to seek other pursuits. I got hold of some basic machine deck plans for a Madill 044 several years ago and started to loft plans for a model of the Y-35 from my M & B Sproat Lake Division days. Life events put the whole thing on hold these last few years The plans that I purchased are in a 1" to 1' scale and I'm making it somewhat easy on myself by sticking to that for the model. So the real unit is 60' tall and my model will be 60" tall when done. A fellow forum Member - DBDLS sent me over 500 pictures of the Y-09 a few years ago and I've sorted through these. Trakloader sent down the manual for the Y-30 - which I copied and am using as a resource. A big thanks goes out to both these people. The plan is make it operable - hopefully by R/C. If anyone has any suggestions or resources, please feel free to kick in. If this works out, maybe I'll get the nerve up to build a Sparmatic....[/QUOTE]

  55. #55jackd2012-11-20 22:50

    The first model I saw built was one of an American line loader built over 30 years ago. A bunch of the guys at Sproat Lake Div. started to throw one together for a retiring operator - Eli Evans. I was into scale boats at the time and they invited me to come have a look. Well, what they built by committee was a very good effort - the plan was to have it powered by barbecue rotisserie motors. I never did see the finished product. It didn't seem that bloody difficult and their's was steel. So I would suggest that this dream of yours shouldn't be so daunting - start getting together the resources and go from there. My big hold back is time - I finally have the workshop to do it in. I might even have some pics of a 144 in my records.

  56. #56RCP572012-11-21 00:22

    [/QUOTE] I am by no means a expert but I may be able to suggest some places to look for gear motors and other RC related parts. Heres a link to some of my builds... Reg

  57. #57jackd2012-11-21 09:08

    I am by no means a expert but I may be able to suggest some places to look for gear motors and other RC related parts. Heres a link to some of my builds... Reg[/QUOTE] So where might these sources for sprockets/gear motors and other related parts be? Any online sites that you recommend for info to make the whole process easier for a novice?

  58. #58RCP572012-11-21 09:32

    I buy most of my gearmotors, speed controls and servos from here http://www.robotshop.com/ca/ . They are in Canada, have been good to deal with and have a growing selection of stuff. This is another popular one but I have no personal experience with them, http://www.servocity.com/html/servos___accessories.html . McMaster Carr is also a good place to search for small fasteners,bearings, chain and sprockets and so on. There is also many different forums to search, http://rctruckandconstruction.com/ is my personal favorite. It has quite a few Island guys on it(RCLogger, Steamer, Tracksntreadslou and myself to name a few) and is growing rapidly. Feel free to ask me any questions. Like I said before I am definately not an expert but if I can help out I will try! Reg

  59. #59jackd2012-11-21 10:14

    Thank you for the links and related info. I just moved back to the Island and I'm quite sure that you will be hearing from me directly as I make progress on my 044. It's good to hear that there are several individuals involved in this hobby over here. I'm presently looking for a drafting table for my den. A small lathe/milling machine combo is also on my want list. I have to get the motorbike winter project out of the way first...

  60. #60Born2clearcut2021-05-01 09:20

    Log loader I did couple years ago

  61. #61Born2clearcut2021-05-01 09:21

    Few more

  62. #62Born2clearcut2021-05-01 09:23

    Last ones

  63. #63PacificTruckfan20222022-10-03 16:50

    This is my 1:16 Rc pacific P16 I based mine off a 80’s model with a international cab. It ain’t perfect by no means but its mine.

  64. #64Jumbo2022-10-03 20:02

    The photo with a load on it, I would think you would have had the loader put a show load on it rather than a pulp load. I wish I had the patience to do fine work like that, I am only able to work on a scale of 1:1.... Barely.

  65. #65PacificTruckfan20222022-10-04 10:37

    Thanks, I am going to try to get some better logs for it at some point lol. Just having trouble with time as we all do, work and school not much free time.

  66. #66PacificTruckfan20222022-11-14 15:26

    Some more photos of my recently completed P16. Added some Caterpillar mudflaps and finished with some detailing.

  67. #67PacificTruckfan20222022-11-14 18:22

    Some photos of my most recent project. A 1:16 Madill 009 yarder

  68. #68PacificTruckfan20222022-12-28 17:53

    A update on my projects. P16 is basically complete. I got a 3d printer for Christmas and made a more realistic radiator for it. I also decided to “repower” it with a Caterpillar 3408 v8 I managed to snag up. As for my Madill 009 I printed off the first of two drum boxes and with the 3406 out of my pacific it found a new home in the madill. Original plan was to put a 12v71 in it but couldn’t find one.

  69. #69renaud2023-01-11 21:50

    This is an off-highway logging truck on wich i am working right now.....details to come. Max.

  70. #70renaud2023-01-11 21:56

    Scale will be in 1/50.This is an old Dinky Berlier that i bought on the "Bay" I am not sure wether it will be branded Pacific, Kenworth 849 or Hayes HDX. More pics to come as work progress.....Regards. Max.

  71. #71renaud2023-01-11 21:59

    This is the Berliet as i got it. It is sitting next to a Conrad Mack tandem gravel truck.

  72. #72renaud2023-01-11 22:02

    This is the berliet when i got it.....it is sitting next to a 1/50 Conrad Mack gravel truck.

  73. #73Coaldust2023-01-11 23:25

    Kinda cool a thread from 2011 is still going.

  74. #74Coaldust2023-01-11 23:45

    This is a picture of a toy yarder, which I wanted to so badly have, when I was a mere lad. I wanted to have my own high lead show in the backyard. Some background on this photo, it was originally taken in the early 70’s during a safety training session in Shelton, Wa at Simpson Timber Co.. It was published in a company- wide magazine. It’s part of the Simpson Archives. Later on, the photo was cropped and used in a 1986 book titled, Grisdale, last of the Logging Camps. Published by the Mason County Historical Society. I was also a peaved about it because when it was cropped, my Father got removed from the picture. You can still see stagged pants and Wesco boots on the far left. Lol.

  75. #75PacificTruckfan20222023-05-06 20:24

    Decided to repaint my 1:16 Pacific. The red just does it better for me. Apologies for the mess beforehand.

  76. #76PacificTruckfan20222023-05-07 14:46

    Finally made some progress on my yarder I am making ladders and window guards for it currently.

  77. #77Welder Dave2023-05-08 17:28

    Where these models would look great is on model train set up. Have seen a few large train sets built by clubs and the detail is exceptional. 3D printed historical buildings on one set just amazing. The models on here have the same level of detail.

  78. #78PacificTruckfan20222023-10-01 11:38

    Made this Willys Jeep into a utility vehicle for my other logging equipment.

  79. #79PacificTruckfan20222023-10-01 11:39

    Next to my P16 for scale and an additional picture.

  80. #80PacificTruckfan20222023-10-22 10:43

    Finished building a low bed to go with my P16 yesterday mainly to haul my 009 around since it’s not powered. Hope everyone has a blessed Sunday

  81. #81chris berlin2023-10-22 15:15

    Congrats ! Great work !

  82. #82chris berlin2023-10-22 15:22

    Here is a picture of the 102 to BERLIET Oil field Truck...

  83. #83THI2023-11-19 13:20

    Hey guys! My wife and sister are creating a Logging themed Christmas tree for a local scholarship auction. They want to have an entire operation around the base of the tree. I have a few models (the ones that come with whatever Machine you buy) but between me and my boys growing up they are not in great shape. Would anyone be willing to sell or donate any models? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

  84. #84chris berlin2023-12-01 09:15

    Hi, here is my FREELANCE loader...roughly based on a TL-15 in 1:87 scale.... It is a mix of Kit bash and scratch built parts.... It will look will look great on my logging RR layout...I hope....

  85. #85Hayesno12023-12-01 16:14

    Awsome even though I think in the real world the M4 tracks is not wide enough for that kind of job.

  86. #86Hayesno12023-12-01 16:21

    Timber looks great - what species do you use?

  87. #87chris berlin2023-12-01 17:16

    Thanks, and agree with you on the tracks...but that is the only tank body that is even close enough...1;87 is always full of compromises....and once on the layout it will blend in and give the right impression. As to the timber...these are bits and pieces I find in the park...i carefully strip the bark trying to keep the base color and then let it dry slowly....on some I give it a spray of flat clear to set everything.

  88. #88Hayesno12024-01-22 14:49

    Some of my railway fire cars all scratch build

  89. #89Hayesno12024-01-22 14:51

    Scratch build log car. I use scotch pine for logs

  90. #90chris berlin2024-01-22 18:04

    Very nicely done ! And you have a Menck Face shovel...it has great detail and I have used them as a base for kit bashed machines....

  91. #91chris berlin2024-01-22 18:07

    Here is my TL-6...finally finished it. Not as easy as I thought trying to create the illusion of motion in the grapple....

  92. #92chris berlin2024-01-27 13:09

    Here is my collection of log loaders....

  93. #93Hayesno12024-01-28 18:08

    Fantastic - what a collection - awsome job

  94. #94chris berlin2024-01-28 18:35

    Thank you...a few more on the way....