Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The “tude” hurt or busted lip

Tiny ยท 2013-06-30 13:16

Long day on Thursday . Had to haul a load of crane mats out to a job . Started loading at 2:00 in the afternoon . So I know that I'll have a big truck in rush hour . Yes the "tude " went south . Boss said you will have all the help you need . Yeah , Heard that before . Get to the job and the guys that were suppose to help could barely spell crane mats . That meant I was going to have to do a lotta climbing up and down . I went to pull the chains off the load and so I could put them away when one hung up on something . Dummy me didn't go see was it was hung on I just gave it a one handed hard tug . Still stuck . With the "Tude " fully engaged I grabbed it with both hands and yanked the living daylights out of it !!! It came loose .. Like a freaking rocket and hit me square in the mouth . If I would have had my mouth open I'm sure I would swallowed half of the dang thing . Direct hit with the hook . Hurt bad enough that I didn't think to cuss . Just shows what being upset will get you . Stomach churned for a bit . But amazingly I wasn't upset anymore . The goofs on the job asked if I was ok ..... Damn , They saw everything . " Yeah , Just a knowledge knot "... " I know not to do that again '' I'm sure your asking "why would he put something like this out there ? It makes him look like an Idiot ." Well I could let everyone believe the older guys are good enough that stupid stuff does not happen to them But That is so not true . Maybe you will remember this when the pressure on so you don't do something as silly or when it does happen to you will know that your not alone . It marked my normally pretty face

Replies18
  1. #1lantraxco2013-06-30 15:33

    Shouldn't interfere with a cold frosty one, which should help keep the swelling down. :drinkup Been there, done something similar many times... just as often now in my mid-fifties as I did in my thirties. Luckily women think scars are handsome on a working guy, LOL

  2. #2Cat287B2013-06-30 15:57

    Got your nose too huh.

  3. #3oceanobob2013-06-30 16:08

    this much experienced gentleman always politely cautioned me about "keeping my mind right"....

  4. #4Tiny2013-06-30 16:19

    Just below my nose yeah , But my nose is a beauty mark I got form my dad The gentleman is indeed wise I'm 54 , So I'm right there with you

  5. #5bigshow2013-06-30 16:25

    I work with a guy who got some emergency dental work doing the exact same thing.

  6. #6Tiny2013-06-30 16:40

    My tooth created a hole on the inside of that fat lip , Sounds like he got hit way worse than I did . Apparently I am in good company .

  7. #7bigshow2013-06-30 17:18

    Hope it heals up quick for ya, I wasn't there when it happened to him, kinda wished I was though......

  8. #8Impact2013-06-30 18:14

    A few weeks ago I was rushing to leave work. Just as I got to my truck, I realized I'd forgotten something in the office. Set my favorite spun aluminum coffee mug on the back bumper andwent back in. After locking the doors a second time, jumped in my pickemup truck and threw it in reverse and hit the down button on the big overhead door at the same time. Barely got out the door and ran over something..****, so I threw it back in drive pulling forward as if that would reverse the damage to whatever I'd just runover. Pulled up enough the center of my truck hood was under the door. It slammed onto the hood and kept going. There's no reversing mechanism. Of course I'd already tighten the slip clutch as tight as it would go. Finally got the door stopped and got out to survey the damage. My favorite cup, dented hood, and a bent doorsection..all at once. I shoulda fired me.

  9. #9Tradesman2013-06-30 21:00

    Last fall I was rigging two parts of line when I pulled the line out of the becket the tail end smacked me in the chin it instantly swelled up the size of a golf ball and turned my guts sick.The only good thing was it got me out of a boring Christmas party

  10. #10CM19952013-06-30 21:52

    Tiny if it makes you feel any better I had a "stupid" moment a while back. I was cutting a piece of 8" ADS plastic pipe with a utility knife that I had perched on top of an inlet, I was in the ditch and the pipe was chest high. Yep, the knife slipped and I stuck it in my chest, just below my right pectoral. Started bleeding through my shirt, sweats and light headedness came next. Had to go sit in the truck with the A/C on for a bit. Went to the Doc in the Box and the Doc said "You need to go to the ER". PFFT whatever, I just needed a few steri strips, which the nurse gave me while the Doc wasn't there. If I would have went to the ER it would have taken 4 hours to get out. The wound healed up fine, just a 3/4" cut and a scar. I feel your pain brother.:drinkup

  11. #1195zIV2013-06-30 22:08

    Years ago I was rushing trying to get my truck back in service after a wire ripped off. This wire had a heatshrink sleeve on the end and I was trying to cut it off with a utility knife. I'm a southpaw, so, I had the wire in my right hand, running from the left to the right(so the cord was over my hand and the plug was on the right). As I was cutting the shrink, I was using the thumb and middle finger of my right hand to hold the shrink apart to make it easier to cut and I was cutting from the right to the left on the top of the wire. The knife came off the top of the wire and sliced across and around the side of my palm opposite the thumb. 6 stitches and 8 hours in a ER later, I figured out just how little rushing was worth it.

  12. #12willie592013-06-30 22:08

    Now wait just a darn minute. I mean, they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but puleeezzze! We have 16' high roll up doors at the shop, had the door in the bay I was working stopped somewhere between the 10' the 12' level to block some of the afternoon sun shining in building. Finished working on a Bobcat in the bay. Started it up, raised the loader arms just enough to remove the safety prop to lower loader arms. Jumped back in cab, backed out of bay. Then I felt something. Puzzled, I stopped and asked myself *** was that? That's when I looked up and noticed the 4' section of roll up door I just yanked out of the tracks, I forgot to let loader arms down. I've repaired literally piles of doors that people have drove through, even repaired one that rail cars tore out, but that's the first time I've had to repair a door that I tore out. Just damn!

  13. #13markshr1512013-07-01 18:50

    Four weeks ago on a rainy day while wearing rubber boots I jumped up on the edge of a backhoe bucket for sand. The bucket was facing strait up so we could reach a hose. Yes I knew better,so lets add this up. One 54 year old man who has already learned by experience plus smooth edge steel bucket plus lots of oil plus rubber boots plus rain equals a old man who walks like Walter Brennon.(The Real McCoy's)

  14. #14Tiny2013-07-01 19:51

    That means you have a hitch in your git along

  15. #15grandpa2013-07-01 21:45

    Hey Tiny.... rub some dog poo on that there lip of yours..... won't make it heal any faster, but sure as h*ll stop you from licking it all the time!!!!! Grandpa M.D.

  16. #16Tiny2013-07-01 22:26

    Is this one of your tried and true ideas LMAO

  17. #17willie592013-07-01 22:37

    You definitely get a "zing" for that one tiny. :drinkup

  18. #18Stermerfarm2013-07-09 08:51

    Glad your OK, at least your story doesn't use two blocks of wood (to stand on) and a high-lift jack. Paul