i went to bid on a large job for what im going to call conspiracy people because there was about 18 of them and it was about 150 acres of land and they wanted 8 ponds dug, 93 acres cleared and burned and basically they where building what I assumed was there homesite for " end of the world" damn election year brings out the crazy people with money. well this job had about id call 47k dollars wroth of welding I might be off but they wanted a bunch of shipping containers welded together and buried into the ground bunch of shelter built and welded just a bunch of welding. my bid was 418k because many reasons my buddy threw in a bid about I think he said he was around 432k bunch of others said the same because we went and disused this because the people looked insane. I have a welder I was a welder I can weld so I was cheaper then everyone because they dint have a welder and they would of had to hire one so I figured id get this bid. nope some guy from down the road won don't know how much but enough for him to buy two liugong machines and some other junk. well got a call the guy needed the welding done because he doesn't own a welder nor has anyone to weld and im close by with my truck and welder. I told him 50k because screw him he told me 10k sounded fair to him ended of that conversation. went down that way to look at some land for sale both of his machines brand new broken down along with his grader a loader and two dump trucks all his got left going is a 1994 120 hitachi and a d5 dozer. well I got the call from one of the owners asked if I could finish the job because its very important this job gets done before next year I told him my price because I went up in price because screw them I was at 500k now. offered me the contract of the guy who was doing it his price came out to be about 298. hung up the phone and now im watching the guy down the road from me go bankrupt so has anyone heard anything good about lliugong machines I might can get them cheap now
My experience with lliugong are with forklifts and they are junk. Product support is poor to say the least. If you are buying and planning to use it as a production piece. Then I would stay away from it. If you are using it on the farm and it's no big deal to wait for parts then you may consider it. These in my experience won't make you money. That's my 2 cents.
We had an excavator up in our area. Very clunky, but it was sold as a poor man's entry level machine. Aside from a bad fuel level sensor, several cracked welds, and stone age electronics, I guess it was ok. The guy that had it, traded out inside a year iirc. They were trying to use it as a material handler in a scrap yard. At least it didn't have far to go.
Sounds like a job to stay away from or a least use a contract with much profit built in, to touch it. My experience with out of ordinary construction is the people that want it, don't really know what they're asking for. Welding sea cans together can mean many different things to two people. A drawing with appropriate specs might help, but it takes an engineer to produce it.
the meeting for the bid they explained it like they where knowledgeable the seacan welding was the worst idea because they wanted them side by side and welded together and put in a hole that was it all we got then they wanted some shelter welded together for storage but the amount of sea can welded together and how many they wanted done was what made me think they where insane
well unless they go for about 20k a piece im not buying nothing
well hey his got his ragged out 120 maybe he cant finish this job and save him self for going bankrupt I doubt but not my problem
Even at $20k a piece, when it's down and not working, your money ($20k) is just sitting there costing time and money (bank wants their cut regardless). Quality (as in machine AND in support) doesn't cost, it pays.
Welding sea cans side by side sounds like a poor idea. I believe the cans are designed for loading as stacked or supported end for end. There isn't much support against twisting as would happen welded side x side. Did they figure that into their job?
eh im leaning towards the volvo because there support is better im not evens ure where the dealer is for him but hey that 120 and dozer got a whole year before that project is due or until the owners call for someone else
no idea unless they pay me 500k im not going down there I think by the end of next year the project will be abandoned by all the parties did learn threw a friend that the people want to connect there houses to them through tunnels and honestly someone is gonna die out there
Exactly. I know I guy who built an "earth sheltered home" out of 40 foot containers and the sides bowed in when the material settled. The corrugations of the sides are not sturdy enough for side loads. As to the owners, the old adage "If you're not a conspiracy theorist, you haven't been paying attention".
im at the point where I think there all on meth or gonna do some illegal stuff out there but where they at is pretty land it has a rolling hill and a nice stream going through it towards the back end it would be a beautiful cabin type deal
Why do you believe that? Just because they don't believe the mass media and speculate for themselves on what may be going on? That's not indicative of criminal behavior.
well few of them ran a crack house before so the whole underground bunkers just makes me wonder
The place I worked for got one on demo for about 2 months. The longest it lasted with a breakdown was 3 days and that was rare. Sometimes twice a day.
I don't understand why they want to weld them if they are going to bury them... that just creates more of a rust issue imo.if they are going to cut the walls in between, then ok, seal them together, but that's going to be a ton of work just to seal 2 together. Then how close are the ponds? Are they going to flood this underground hole with ground water seepage? Are they going to place these on gravel at least? Sounds like a giant mess waiting to happen to me. There's always the idiot that underbids not knowing what he's getting himself into. Then the owners don't know why they can't get anyone to match the price. I wouldn't be surprised if they add stuff expecting you to do it for free as well.
i wish I had the blue prints but this is what went down they called a bunch of contractors and had us meet at a rented space had everything placed out looked like it was planned out for the locations seemed pretty good sounded like alright this doesn't seem to bad kind of a straight job simple and easy then they started the ponds all varied in sized one was a acre pond and the largest was 10 acres and they where all spread out so to the point you would get annoyed tracking machines around. the welding them together to me I think what they trying for are underground "bunkers" that all the bunkers get connected by tunnels to each one and then they all go to each of the houses they planned on building. im pretty sure someone is gonna die if this project actually gets done. im try and find out more through word of mouth because if there afraid of the government I hate to tell them none of that's gonna stop the government
junk and junk just like the sany but people will swear they can buy it cheaper run it into the ground and buy 3-4 of them compared to one good machine because "progress"
Agreed - This type of fiasco is why I don't do residential...
maybe next year I can start doing more commercial but this year I got residential jobs lined up
I understand that. Cut my teeth in residential as my Father was a home builder then I became a home builder for 15 or so years. Probably built several hundred homes and townhomes during that part of my career. Always wanted to do civil work so after the depression of '09, started a new company focused on doing excavation, demolition and similar work. In '11 formed a company and started doing whatever I could do to establish my name in a new segment of the market - commercial construction. If one knows the game commercial/industrial work can be very lucrative. There is mountains of paperwork, huge insurance policies and safety training to have but it's rewarded with $$. A good set of plans and specs is vital to the success of a project and the bottom line.