Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thermal Imaging as a diagnostic tool.

CAT793 ยท 2013-03-01 05:07

I was hoping some of you guys can share with me how Thermal Imaging is used in your work environment? My experience:- 1. SAG mill bearings. 2. Bypassing Hydraulic Cylinder and Blocked/Restricted Coolers. 3. Hot bucket pins. Is anyone using them for Diagnosing Engines? 1. Cold Turbo's. 2. Under Performing Cylinders. 3. Bypassing Relief Valves or Bleeding Brake Packs? Suggestions or comments?

Replies4
  1. #102Dmax2013-03-01 08:53

    I've thought about buying one many times. I'm curious as to how deep they scan. Can you actually see a cold cylinder with them through the block? I've used an infrared gun for years and its a lifesaver. Nice thread.

  2. #2Mjrdude12013-03-01 17:21

    I'd like more info on them also, we have also used infrared guns for most troubleshooting. Whether or not a thermal imaging system would work for us would depend greatly on initial price, and it sounds expensive. lol

  3. #3CAT7932013-03-01 18:13

    Just using the Engine in this example it is not a matter off seing that far into the Bowels of an Engine.....you only need access to the Exhaust Log (manifold). If a squirter is under performing the corresponding manifold could be as much as 200 degrees cooler. Or a cold Turbo in a similar manner. I can also see an application for common rail diesels bleeding past the Quill Tubes into the Double wall fuel lines. Mjrdude1 - I have no idea on purchase price but in my game I have been quite surprised how many sites (read - most) already have one in the Mill. So it is just a matter of us Spanner Brothers borrowing the Camera.

  4. #4Delmer2013-03-01 21:05

    Thermal imagers do the same thing as an infrared thermometer, just so much easier. I don't have one, but see them in the building industry. I go around and check temps with a laser pointer. A thermal imager would show the whole room and all the temp gradients in one glance. It just shows the surface temp, but they adjust the contrast to bring out the differences so you can easily see where the insulation is leaking or the air is coming in, of course it won't show where the air is leaking out as well. I can't justify the $1-2k for one, but it sure would be nice to be able to borrow one for a day.