Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

thermostat for Caterpillar D333

Federico Cooper ยท 2019-02-03 11:58

Hello I'm trying to locate or find out where to buy a thermostat for Caterpillar D333 marine engine probably from the seventies with a serial number 8m9382

Replies8
  1. #1Old Magnet2019-02-03 13:13

    I show the 8M9382 as being the fuel injection pump group number for the D333A and B s/n 80Bxxxx marine engine from the 1960's. The equivalent D333A,B engine used in tractors of the same era used a 4H1991 Regulator (thermostat), I'd assume the marine engine used the same but I don't have the marine engine parts book to check.

  2. #2Old Magnet2019-02-03 14:23

    Change that, if it's a D333B engine it uses a 2S4044 regulator.

  3. #3Nige2019-02-03 14:24

    The regulator for a D333 marine S/N range 80B1-716 is shown as a 4L-7615. OM answered while I was typing. Only an engine S/N is going to get the 100% correct answer.

  4. #4Bluox2019-02-03 18:27

    8M0001 is a 212 motor grader serial number. Bob

  5. #5kshansen2019-02-04 07:48

    Maybe a re-purposed engine or block? Might be worth posting a picture or two of engine showing thermostat area?

  6. #6Nige2019-02-04 09:00

    It seems we are confusing the 8M9382 Part Number on the FIP data plate with the engine Serial Number. See illustration below. From what info I can find the engine S/N plate should be on the LH side of the cylinder block, exact location not specified.

  7. #7Old Magnet2019-02-04 11:20

    A 8Mxxxx 212 Grader is a 1939-42 model with 4-cyl gas engine (same engine as R2 tractor)

  8. #8kshansen2019-02-04 11:46

    Wondered why SIS did not mention a 212 Grader! As I recall the S/N tags on the D333 and 3306 engines were near the back on the left side just a bit below the top of the block Not the best picture and it may be a 3306 and not a D333 but believe the tag should be about the same place.