Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thermostats

morph ยท 2016-01-13 12:03

Fiddling with a D3B here and discovered it has no thermostat fitted , do these engines need a thermostat to enable proper coolant flow through the block and head ,or is it okay to run without just taking longer to warm up? Radiator looks a recent fit so thermostat may have been removed prior to replacement of rad. Thanks.

Replies11
  1. #1Bob/Ont2016-01-13 12:26

    No, you need one installed. Later Bob

  2. #2CatofAmerica2016-01-13 14:07

    I think this would depend on who you ask. Some people believe you don't need them because they restrict flow, and others will call you dumb for not running one.

  3. #3Dickjr.2016-01-13 14:17

    Some engines will run hot with out a thermostat installed. They're in there for a reason. Most likely it stuck and the owner discarded it to keep on running.

  4. #4Nige2016-01-13 15:24

    If the system has a place for a thermostat then there should be a thermostat in that place IMHO. The designers wouldn't have designed an empty hole in the cooling system just for the fun of it.

  5. #5lantraxco2016-01-13 16:04

    Diesel engines run on heat, they need to be up to temp to perform properly and prevent issues with carbon, cylinder wall glazing, condensation in the oil pan, etc.

  6. #6morph2016-01-13 16:04

    Because I haven't seen a thermostat for this engine I thought I'd ask. Messing with IH tractor engines I know the thermostat allows short circuiting of the flow when closed and closes off that flow when open to allow rad circulation. Old ford Kent engines thermostats seemed to be an optional extra!

  7. #7morph2016-01-13 16:12

    Peering in the vacant hole I think a thermostat would help flow by providing a bit of resistance to flow being spun straight off the water pump. I'll sort 1 tomorrow . Thanks for the input guys.

  8. #8Willie B2016-01-13 20:18

    Water evaporates rapidly at Approximately 210 degrees F. Water in the oil system is a bad thing. At lesser temperatures, water may accumulate forming acids, and other bad stuff. Some do it yourselfers believe removing the thermostat prevents overheating.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2016-01-14 02:09

    Most diesel engines have the bypass hole covered by the lower part of the thermostat when it is open, and when it is missing I would guess at least 50% of the hot water out of the head is short circuiting back into the lower block rather than going through the radiator leading to both low temperature at light load and inadequate cooling at high load.

  10. #10morph2016-01-15 05:31

    Searching through part numbers 4N-0236 appears to be the one for this machine a quick google turns up plenty but also some numbers which don't have letters and are longer . Has cat changed numbering or are there alternatives?

  11. #11Cmark2016-01-15 07:35

    The part number has changed. 3062103 is the latest and greatest, but 4N0236, 4P6616 or 5N9389 will also fit.