Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Things just got expensive…350B

Fordman ยท 2015-03-31 20:23

So I was cut a slope on a long driveway a couple days and I put a real load on the dozer. When the engine really started to get a load on it and the tracks broke loose it started making a banging noise. After I took the load off it it didnt go away I tried backing up to park it but, eventually something completely let go. I was able to push it to the side with the skid loader, but now it wont move at all. its not the driveshaft or u joint, and does it in any gear. something internal.Transmission always shifted great, never popped out of gear. About a month ago I changed the gear lube in the transaxle. When I was wiping the bottom of the diff clean I found a sheared gear tooth. It was a curved tooth so it couldnt come from the transmission. I looked at the ring gear and it looked great. What Im thinking is I will have to take both tracks off and hope that its the pinion shaft. The bad thing is I believe the whole transmission has to be disassembled. Do you guys think Im on the right track? A posted a video of what it is doing in the link below, Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJZ2YgE-B0

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies4
  1. #1D6c10K2015-03-31 20:59

    Pinion sounds likely but to slip like that I would think it would have to be missing a couple of teeth. (I once had an S-10 Blazer that lost a pinion tooth....sounded like the muffler had a hole in it. Drove it several hundred miles before I figured out what it was.) When you looked at the ring gear was there any way to see the pinion too?

  2. #2Fordman2015-03-31 21:11

    No the differential brake really blocked it out, but I have an inspection camera now so I would be able to.

  3. #3td25c2015-03-31 22:22

    That don't sound good . Time to open it back up . Spend a little money & gain experience at the same time . Sounds like pinion teeth missing . Don't give up .... This is where it starts to get fun . Eventually you will build the pond with the 350

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2015-03-31 23:30

    Sounds to me like one partial tooth missing a month ago led to several teeth missing now, with the problem showing itself under heavy load. Time for surgery.