Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Things to look at when 2 way dozer blade won’t rise/lower level

Old D5 New Owner ยท 2021-11-10 14:15

hey yall, have an ancient D5 that is a cedar pushing beast, but as I've used it I can keep the blade less and less level such that when I need it low to or on the ground, one side is digging into the ground. It won't raise and lower together. Its not a deal killer and its done it to some extent ever since I have owned it, but I think its getting a bit worse. I don't think its a leak as it doesn't really leak fluid, and both cylinders respond when actuated, but it seems like one takes an extra instant to start moving. I can raise it all the way and and both sides will eventually meet at the top, but as soon as I bring it back down it goes back to cockeyed. Its always the same side that is the slow responder so it never tracks the "good" side. This is a 67 D5 serial 96J2655 I am certain both cylinders need to be rebuilt, but I not convinced that alone would solve this problem. Anyone have any recommendations on where to start poking around first? I have messed with every system on this dozer before except the blade hydro system, so im not too familiar with how its all set up. I do have service manuals. Could it be fluid bypassing in the cylinder? Is it possible its a valve issue? Just wanted to see if anyone had ideas before I just blindly start messing with things. Thanks so much for any opinions!

Replies2
  1. #1Dave Neubert2021-11-11 16:59

    Sounds like you have a cylinder leaking internally

  2. #2Bluox2021-11-11 18:06

    Sounds like you have bad packings on one cylinder or the piston relief valves are leaking. Usually a valve problem will affect both cylinders. If you have work for the machine have both cylinders repaired. Bob