Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Things you see at the truck shop

skyking1 ยท 2021-04-07 12:04
Replies17
  1. #1Delmer2021-04-07 12:35

    That's gonna take the whole tube of JBweld. The second picture at the bottom, am I seeing the beach marks from fatigue, and then fatigue across the right side, and then the rough parts let loose in shock load?

  2. #2skyking12021-04-07 12:39

    Your guess is way more educated than mine.

  3. #3Nige2021-04-07 12:54

    You are indeed. I count at least 10 ratchet marks on it at around the 6 o'clock area which is where IMO the fatigue failure started. the arrow is pointing to one of them. That has all the hallmarks of a typical case of high-cycle fatigue where one overload (at least one, could've been more than that) was enough to start everything off, then normal loads continued to advance the crack until there was no longer enough good material to withstand the stresses any more and she let go.

  4. #4John C.2021-04-07 18:51

    Too many reverse engagements and dumping the clutch while the truck was loaded and coasting forward?

  5. #5doublewide2021-04-07 18:55

    Looks like it ground up good enough to take out the spindle too.

  6. #6kshansen2021-04-07 19:28

    And I'm sure none of those many missing bits got into any place to cause damage down the road!

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-04-07 19:40

    Truck more than likely had a locker, 85% of the time that's where they snap-close to axle flange. But there is a bright side it will make a nice cover for hub when axles are pulled for towing.

  8. #8Old Doug2021-04-07 21:05

    A farmer ask me how to figure if he had a broken axle. He brought it to me saying the trans was the problem. It had lube running out the centering hole on the axle end.

  9. #9_Weldman_2021-04-07 23:53

    I guess Dirks Truck Repair is going to have some extra income from this problem, I'm sure a few 7018 rods will get'er back on the road.

  10. #10stinky642021-04-08 01:25

    I've seen that a couple times over the years and wonder how it doesn't pop something inside the diff. first.....

  11. #11Old Doug2021-04-08 08:01

    We had a dump truck at work that had a lighter rear end they mangled it some how to the point i would cost more than ihe truck was worth . So i strated hunting a used 3thr member it was also a very rare unit. Finding one took several days alot of phone time and miles driveing and looking. I was about to give up when i was told about a place to look. They had one and it was dirt cheap less than a $100.00. I had a plan to sell it to the company make some money and they would get a great deal $2000.00 less than what it was going to cost. I got it together and before i got paid they were in a feed lot placeing gravel around feed bunks the drivers foot sliped off the clutch and put so much load on the ringgear it broke the 2 bolts on the other side of the carrer and tore some teeth off the ring gear. I end up just getting my money back. Then they got a heavyer rear end i think it was around $5000.00 for the truck that wasnt worth $2000.00.

  12. #12skyking12021-04-08 09:48

    Same truck shop last year. Love how the nut is welded into that mess.

  13. #13Delmer2021-04-08 10:13

    I wonder if loose bearings will contribute a little flex to that shaft and fatigue it over time? Like the outer edge of the right side looks smooth scalloped like the bottom, instead of rough like the left side that broke all at once.

  14. #14kshansen2021-04-08 15:04

    Think those brake shoes will be good cores, especially the lower one?

  15. #15CM19952021-04-08 21:28

    When I first read the title to thread it read in my mind - "Things you see at a truck stop ". I was cautious with a bit of worry about what I was going to see, however being a mod I took one for for the greater good of HEF. Thank God it wasn't what I expected.

  16. #16skyking12021-04-08 22:29
  17. #17lantraxco2021-04-08 23:02

    Two words: Wheel hop.