Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Think this is unsafe?

Puffie40 ยท 2010-11-25 16:36

I thought of this forum when I saw this on youtube: YouTube - D6 Belly Pan Cleaning [HD 1080p] I love how this guy thinks a backhoe bucket would hold up a 15-ton machine.

Replies21
  1. #1Lee-online2010-11-25 19:12

    That was pretty stupid and there was absolutely no reason to do it that way.

  2. #2willie592010-11-25 19:16

    Only proves there is no shortage of stupidity.

  3. #3tonka2010-11-26 08:37

    did he film it so just incase somthin happened they would know what happedned to his stupid butt,...

  4. #4Dozerboy2010-11-26 13:29

    Wouldn't be my first choice

  5. #5heavylift2010-11-26 15:48

    heck he has a backhoe dig a hole... build a berm... he did jump when the pan fell ... so I'm thinking his pan may need cleaning also...

  6. #6Tiny2010-11-26 17:44

    My 1st thought after finding out his boy was running the camera was,If that went bad . That would be one heck of a way to remember your dad and have it all on vid too......WAAAAY Past Unsafe.

  7. #7td25c2010-11-26 20:26

    What????No hard hat,safety glasses or reflective vest .At least it dident end bad and they got the belly pan cleaned out.The video kinda reminded me of these fellers LOL YouTube - laurel and hardy

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2010-11-26 21:03

    At least they blocked it with something. That may not be the OSHA approved blocking we would all like to use, but it was what he had. I am sure the backhoe bucket would hold up well enough to keep the machine from falling clear to the ground. I was pretty concerned about the chain used to pull it up, but it held. I was more concerned with pulling belly pan bolts while under the pan. That could easily go wrong. Should have had a chain under it first.

  9. #9willie592010-11-26 21:44

    He may have had the Cat loader/hoe bucket under it for a safety prop, but what pulled the chain to set pan back in place? The loader/hoe, that's what. And he got under it to re-install the pan bolts without the loader/hoe bucket under track, it was sitting to the side of the machine. Sorry, but this whole endevour was simply too risky. Furthermore, if he would perfom a stunt like this, does this particular person have any legitimate inhibitions for other forms of stupid behavior involving himself or co-workers? My father was a great influence on me, reckon what learned behavior this fellas boy is absorbing. This man is lucky this didn't turn out to be one of those videos that is banned from this forum because of the graphic outcome of the video. Just my humble opinion.

  10. #102stickbill2010-11-26 21:47

    I have dropped lots of belly pans useing a chain.Tried it with a jack.Not to stable.A chain will let it down and pull it up better.They shops have a better jack but more money for tools too.

  11. #11Randy882010-12-05 11:17

    Unbelievable, it leaves me speachless and they taped it? Theres a whole lot of vocabulary words that would describe that stunt and none are really nice to use and most are banned on the forum I think but where is comon sense here and any form of safety, it takes only a second to get injured and even less to get killed.

  12. #12OCR2010-12-05 21:12

    Think this is unsafe?... Yes I do. This works much, much, better... and it's so easy to make... :cool2 Even ATCO, John C., and 25c liked it... On thing I noticed in that video, was the fellow letting the pan down, by unscrewing the remaining bolts... that technique is very unfriendly to both the bolts, and bolt hole threads. OCR

  13. #13rino14942010-12-05 21:26

    You can't fix stupid

  14. #14Puffie402010-12-06 12:06

    Thanks for pointing out what I think is the other unsafe thing. Putting more and more wieght on those bolts will eventually cause them to snap. I have not messed around with the belly pans on our Cats, but I can imagine those are in the 200-500 pound range. There is not even a chain holding the pan shut so the descent of the pan can be controlled, and the guy would not be in the way when it violently let go like in the video.

  15. #15Auctioneerhere2010-12-08 22:04

    Wow...He should play the lottery. He's that lucky.

  16. #16brushmaster902011-07-15 23:44

    Thats not the safest thing ever, however I have saw worse.

  17. #17Dualie2011-07-17 03:43

    Darwin had a theory. DEFINITELY not the way i would do it AT ALL! the fact he had the guts to post it on youtube only speaks volumes about what he does when no one is looking.

  18. #18wh_47412011-08-03 22:22
  19. #19Garrie Denny2011-09-10 00:29

    You cant put brains in pumpkins.

  20. #20tedtirao712011-09-15 08:35

    ...the chain might snap out anytime... the bucket might not hold the weight... the removal of pan is uncontrolled.... the guy dont have appropriate PPE... yap, it is unsafe....

  21. #21Scott472012-03-20 06:40

    I was more concerned with pulling belly pan bolts while under the pan. That could easily go wrong. Should have had a chain under it first.