Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thinking about Moving to Maine

Zewnten · 2022-06-18 11:45

(If the wrong area please move) I'm done with Colorado summers and it's people, been here for 6 years now. I grew up in north Idaho, western Montana and eastern Washington area and miss the trees, water, winter, and countryside. But the wife is from California and can't handle the constant cloud cover and I'm looking for some place with winter that's sunny. Maine is pretty sunny in the winter, I'm told. Does anyone concur or disagree? I hate moving but I'm having a hard time seeing much future here plus I miss the work I did in Idaho; logging equipment, some quarry stuff, etc. In Colorado its scrapers and excavators only with a few other things thrown in here and there. I've been looking at jobs and the only ones I see are down by Portland, ME which isn't really where we want to be from online looking, crowded mostly. Does anyone know of anything not being advertised the usual means; indeed, craigslist, etc? Trying to move and find our hopefully forever place while the economy is half way going. So I appreciate all the help.

Replies47
  1. #1ianjoub2022-06-18 12:25

    https://www.google.com/search?q=mai...gAgAGKAYgB6AiSAQM1LjaYAQCgAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

  2. #2cuttin edge2022-06-18 12:36

    Come on way up north. Don't mind the bugs.... no poison snakes or spiders. I'm just across the border in New Brunswick, so the weather is probably close to the same. The winters have been a lot milder the last few years. Mind you the mosquitos are wore this year than I have ever seen

  3. #3Zewnten2022-06-18 12:50

    Idaho had some version of this but probably not as bad. Florida has it much worse in my opinion.

  4. #4ianjoub2022-06-18 13:13

    The love bugs don't bite, just make a mess of vehicles. The yellow flies are nasty, but only last a few weeks per year. We don't have many mosquitos. The noseeums are horrible, last most of the year, but are only for 90 minutes at daybreak and dusk.

  5. #5treemuncher2022-06-20 09:41

    We left TN on Thursday after dealing with high humidity and 96-97 degrees most days. Now in Maine. Arrived yesterday morning to 46 degrees and rain. Sure glad I put a wood stove in the camp a couple years ago but I wish I had the wife pack a few heavy shirts. Here at the coast, we expect days of fog and rain. Inland can be much nicer during the summer but winters can really drag on. It's all about what you are comfortable with in dealing with weather. Maine gets a lot more winter sun than Tennessee ever does. Tennessee winters are mild but dreary-cloudy days last for months during winter in the south. Maine has its charms. Portland is too liberal and too crowded for me but the northern counties are conservative and rural which is what I like. If you are self sufficient and crave isolation, Maine is great. If you want freedom from constrictive laws, not so much. It's fine for our vacation destination and visiting her family but we will never live in New England again. I've had a taste of freedom and sanity - no going back to the insanity for me. For me, freedom is much more important than money. One man's paradise is another man's prison. With the exception of rural Maine, New England is my hell. Thankfully, alcohol is a good coping mechanism and readily available when I'm parked long enough to enjoy some.

  6. #6DDoug2022-06-20 10:42

    I really like Southern Chile and Argentina when I took a short trip down there. Lot's of logging going on too. https://m.facebook.com/afmforest/posts/1489278387815079?locale2=hi_IN https://www.tigercat.com/case_study/steep-slope-logging-chile/ Andes (I am told) are just like the Rockies, with the Dark blue "Big sky" sunshine. And I found no bugs around.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-07-13 14:24

    If you’ve ever watched an episode of NORTH WOODS LAW.. you’ll know that it’s illegal to have fun up there.!!!

  8. #8Mike L2022-07-13 19:14

    Have I got a deal for you! Wife and I are look to relocate to Texas and my house will be for sale. No neighbors, town with a population of 1000, located in central Maine. Bonus- once I leave their will be a handful of businesses in need of a mechanic!

  9. #9Zewnten2022-07-13 20:36

    Haha gotta hide this post from the wife, sounds like a good deal though. We had been looking at texas as I mentioned before but when she found out she'd have to rehome her dog, St Bernaird, she said no had to move somewhere cold instead. Not that my dog is any hto weather dog.

  10. #10Zewnten2022-07-13 20:37

    Knew some families that moved to Chile and were visiting the US. They made it sound like Chile was very restrictive but maybe they were just trying to keep the place to themselves.

  11. #11fastline2022-07-13 20:49

    Oh....I just want to know where in CO are you, and what are the issues there? Is everyone there left of center? I really love the atmosphere there but admit I have not been able to spend any real time there. Just tourist type stuff. I am so very tired of flat and boring. I no longer have ties with my kids, ex, etc. Would be great to just move on.

  12. #12BigWrench552022-07-13 20:59

    You guys can have Texas. It's just to dang hot here. I am going to the mountains where it's cool and there's an actual winter.

  13. #13Zewnten2022-07-13 21:09

    Basically Denver now. Was a decent amount of the old cowboys and farmers around but they're all getting pushed out by man bun types and property prices. All the old guard company owners are gone and the new managers are useless and full of smoke. I miss the cranky loggers and farmers from my old home town got sh** done and their word was good, but they're all gone now too. Everyone here is out for themselves and everyone else can **** off. Lot of people are calling it Colo-fornia. Politics are very much based on how close your neighbors are here, left o9f center and left-left of center in the city with the pretend farmers that way too. The family property kind are conservative.

  14. #14mowingman2022-07-13 21:26

    Colorado really started the left wing slide back in the early 90's. Californians were flocking there by the thousands back then. I remember seeing big billboards that read, "Don't Californicate Colorado".

  15. #15fastline2022-07-13 23:10

    Just totally sickens me!!!!!! Like more than you know. I'm at the edge of just trying to leave this country because I can see what is coming. Men in skinny jeans and man buns cannot do a single thing to build ANYTHING!!!! 2000y ago, you try that, you die. today we foster weak gayness. They are going to take any and all. CA is a nice state. It is now shi&!!!. They ruin it, then move to the next. Their target is TX. CO is such a WOW state for me in terms of mountains and wildlife, but of course, the man buns needs to take that.

  16. #16_Weldman_2022-07-14 00:19

    Funny last I was in Colorado back in 2012 they were complaining in Leadville that the Texans were invading and changing things that I shouldn't mention to anyone I was from Texas when I was there. On another note, who would want to live in state you can't have cool toys in... Buy a military vehicle and it's illegal for on road use and can't be titled anymore, everyone that had a title from past decades are no longer able to be registered.

  17. #17Vetech632022-07-14 08:11

    You know its hotter than Hades in Texas.........right?

  18. #18Mike L2022-07-14 08:27

    WHAT?!?! The brochure said nothing of this! Actually we lived in uvalde from 2013-15 and I worked in the oilfield so we have an idea of what we’re getting into. We’ve had enough of the cold weather and a few of the other things that come with living in New England and we’re ready to go back. Actually flying into Texas in a couple weeks to go house shopping.

  19. #19Old Doug2022-07-14 08:35

    I leaved in Colorado in the 80s for a little over a year we lived close to Colorado Springs the winter was alot milder than Mo. It was a big eye opener for me they were years ahead of every thing i saw people do things out in public that you heard about but you didnt even see in the movies. I am glade i got to see the mountains but i dodnt care if i ever go back. I have a buddy that has land out there he tells me stories about how much it cost to live out there its not good.

  20. #20Muffler Bearing2022-07-14 12:05

    It's pretty terrible, tell everyone you know, stay away from Colorado.

  21. #21Tones2022-07-14 14:55

    Yep the crispy critters have multiplied and spread across the world. Their parents had no idea about contraception obviously.

  22. #22Zewnten2022-07-14 20:21
  23. #23mowingman2022-07-14 21:13

    Well, be prepared for sticker shock when you look at the houses listed for sale. Also, be prepared for the heat wave down there. We are soooo glad we moved out of Texas and up here to Ohio last winter. Don't think we will ever go back. jeff

  24. #24Truck Shop2022-07-14 22:01

    Glad I live where I do. No Hurricanes, No Tornados, No lake effect snow, No swamps, No humidity. Average winters, average summers. Off in the uncrowded SE part of the state, in the edge of the Blue Mountains with the Columbia and Snake Rivers not far away.

  25. #25_Weldman_2022-07-14 22:32

    Blizzards, no humidity, hail storms, snow storms, tornadoes, extreme temperature swings, high barometric mean pressures (31.42) Hg 1064 mb), droughts, wild fires, gusting winds up to 80 mph, heat waves up to 115 degrees and arctic fronts down to 40 below zero with 60 below windchills... What's to not love about here Tongue and Yellowstone rivers not far away from here too.

  26. #26Tones2022-07-14 23:08

    And some good boatable rivers there I believe.

  27. #27Vetech632022-07-15 07:30

    I was in Portland Or one-time years ago for a 6-day week..........it rained every day.

  28. #28Truck Shop2022-07-15 07:37

    Doesn't rain like that here.

  29. #29Old Doug2022-07-15 07:53

    I didnt like it for several reasones were you live and what you like is your choice . We moved there when i was in school . It was a small school at the start of the year there was just a hand full in my class but before the year was up it had grown to 3 times its size there wasnt enough desks books or room i didnt have books for 2 classes and flunked one of them. That teacher was a real ass hole he cussed me out in class one day because i didnt anwser a question on some home work how could i with out a book. They had several complants about him but all the facalty were buddys and they couldnt get rid of him. Then all the kids that were born there didnt want to make friends with out siders because of the way things were every year a bunch of new kids moved to town and over crowed the school making it tuff on every one . The new kids didnt want to make friends ether they were from familys that were moving around alot and know they wouldnt be there long. On top of that it was a 4 day school week so it was a long day my mom was going through a bad time and i didnt ever have a lunch or have money for lunch. In was away from every thing i had grown up with. Any time you grow up in area and like it then move to some were along ways away its going to be different . Before that we lived in Iowa for 2 years i liked it there and steal have friends from there. What people do is there own choice and if it dosent affect me or hurt others i dont care but i liked the days of dont ask dont tell.

  30. #30Vetech632022-07-15 08:11

    All I remember about Texas was steers and ............dam, what was that phrase?

  31. #31BigWrench552022-07-15 10:18

    Beers?

  32. #32Mike L2022-07-15 18:33

    Says the guy from a state that nobody wants to live in. I was in Oklahoma last August for my stepdaughters wedding. Didn’t feel much different than south Texas did. It’s hot. No doubt about it. But I’m fed up with the cold. And the snow. And the low wages. And the taxes. And the left leaning welfare recipients who think they’re owed a living. Oops, did I say that?

  33. #33Truck Shop2022-07-15 19:45

    To keep it straight--It doesn't matter what state anyone moves to there is always going to be political issues. Now lets keep it on track without political views.

  34. #34DDoug2022-07-15 20:54

    My friend worked a job near the border with vermont in Ny state (around Lake Champlain) he said driving over the border was like entering ....."another country ?" I asked... He said "No, like another planet."

  35. #35Mike L2022-07-16 05:51

    I’m not trying to get political but I was asked what things about maine I don’t like and I replied. Maine is a great place to live and a hard place to make a living. When I moved to Texas I took a job for a construction company that built roads and pads in the oilfield and also did ranch maintenance. I pulled 6 figures plus a house and a service truck. My wages were good but not out of the normal for the area. I never knew a mechanic could make that kind of money. When I moved back I went to work at a dealership running their service truck and took a 35% pay cut. I wasn’t able to make Texas money up here until I started my own business. Maine really should be divided into two states. The southern half is where the majority of people are and that’s where most of the people from “away” come from. We call that place northern Massachusetts. The northern half of the state is like old school maine- rural and sparsely populated. Unfortunately there’s not much of an economy there. I’ve got plenty more to say but HEF is probably not the place to do it. Also, Maine doesn’t have Texas bbq.

  36. #36mg23612022-07-16 06:05

    And what, miss out on the itty bitty Lobster roll for $30+....

  37. #37Truck Shop2022-07-16 07:06

    What about that five gallon bucket of dipp'in sauce?

  38. #38Mike L2022-07-16 07:51

    No joke. Right now 1 lb of picked lobster meat to make rolls is $80

  39. #39treemuncher2022-07-20 22:20

    And yet the fishermen are only getting paid $1.75/pound of fresh caught lobster here in Washington County. Lots of them have stopped fishing until prices rebound. Anyone burning lots of diesel knows their pain but when the market treats them like this, it hurts the entire community. We rebound back to TN and the extreme heat at the end of the week. Maine is a great place when the temps run 50's-70's every day while it's been hitting 100 with high humidity at home in TN. Maine is not so nice if you don't like cold and snow in the winter months. Lots of miles of trails for snowmobiles and side by sides but this is the least motorcycle friendly state I've ever travelled in - the entire Northwest portion of Maine is off limits to motorcycles in the timberland areas. But it's home for the wife so we enjoy our visits with friends and family.

  40. #40Mike L2022-07-21 18:36

    We bought live lobsters off the boat a few weeks ago for $7.50 a pound. Lobstermen are always crying poverty but I know a diesel mechanic who routinely builds high horsepower engines for the annual lobster boat races and they always pay cash. Not saying they’re all doing that but things are not always what they seem. Zewnten if you and the wife want to live in Maine I’ll help you out any way I can but living here isn’t always vacationland like the sign says.

  41. #41KSSS2022-07-21 23:00

    I'll stay in Idaho and go to Costco to buy Lobster.

  42. #42Mike L2022-07-22 04:06

    Costco lobster? that doesn’t even sound right

  43. #43joe--h2022-07-22 16:09

    Like a steak from Walmart. Joe H

  44. #44Truck Shop2022-07-22 18:24

    Or pushing a shopping cart around Home Depot to buy lumber, something just ain't right about that.

  45. #45stinky642022-07-22 18:31

    Don't forget truck stop sushi there ain't nuthin right about that.

  46. #46Truck Shop2022-07-22 18:38

    Well there ain't nuthin right about sushi to begin with.

  47. #47KSSS2022-07-22 19:22

    I am easy to please that way.....When your inland, you buy Lobster where they sell it, if that's what you want.