Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thinking of buying 1972 Michigan 85

ssrider ยท 2017-04-08 18:39

Hey all, new to the forum. I've found a 1972 Michigan 85 for sale locally. It has the detroit diesel engine, tires are very good condition, hours unknown. He's asking $8000 Canadian (I live in Manitoba, Canada). Does this sound like a fair price? How are these loaders for reliability? I've tried doing some online research but cant find much info. Here's the link to the add with pictures http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipm...on/1203049678?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Replies8
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-04-09 16:00

    That's a good price if everything works but it's not a model 85. It looks like a 125B if it has a V6 Detroit. They were very good loaders in their day. I think the brakes gave problems sometimes.

  2. #2ssrider2017-04-09 16:27

    Thanks for the reply. What makes you say it isn't a model 85? Is it just the motor? I'm just trying to educate myself.

  3. #3Welder Dave2017-04-09 18:27

    An 85 is an older model. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/10813287/1974-michigan-125b

  4. #4cuttin edge2017-04-09 19:45

    We had a 75, and a 125, and it does look more like a 125. The 125 was a good old loader. Get some ear plugs though.

  5. #5ssrider2017-04-10 17:41

    Thanks for the replies. I suppose it may have been repainted with the number 85. The guy says its in very good condition, no leaks, doesn't burn oil. I'm working out of town but hopefully will go check it out in a couple weeks if he still has it.

  6. #6FWD2017-04-10 22:04

    I know very little about Michigan loaders but I know a guy near here had a model 85 loader. The one you're looking at does seem to look bigger. I went to Machinery Trader web site and there was only one 85 and it was older than that one. They obviously are not a common model so that could raise a red flag due to parts that are available. FWD

  7. #7Rolitto2017-04-11 15:57

    Ask me: I'm the expert and my advises are for free lol. What you're seeing at Kijiji.ca is a Michigan 85. It's fitted with a Detroit Diesel 6V-53N. The 125B is fitted either with Cummins VT-555-C or Detroit Diesel 6V-71N.

  8. #8Rolitto2017-04-11 15:59

    Michigans are the best, VERY robust but as they become aged out, their parts are harder to find. I added two factory brochures of both, the Michigan 85 (actually 85IIIA for being first generation) and Michigan 125B.