Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1980s Trojan 2500 tranny

1972firebird ยท 2017-04-08 19:00

Hey guys, this is my first post here. Ive got a mid 1980s Trojan wheel loader 2500. Ive had it for many years and this month the transmission broke. No forward only reverse. I was told its one of 13 so I doubt I can fix it but wanted to ask you guys. Its a great machine.

Replies10
  1. #1chansey2017-04-10 23:06

    Do you have the tag data?

  2. #21972firebird2017-04-10 23:11

    the tranny tag has 4WG-150 on it. which tag do you want info on?

  3. #3chansey2017-04-10 23:26

    That's a ZF transmission and was used on many different loaders. The 621B case wheel loader comes to mind. Give Nick a call at (215) 822-8300. He works for ZF Precision and is willing to help/answer questions. On another note, do you know of anyone scrapping a 1500Z or 1700Z ?? Need some parts.

  4. #41972firebird2017-04-10 23:33

    where is that guy located? Its funny i just bought a case 621B. Ive got a 1900 and the 2500 trojan we are talking about. Dont really want to put any money into it so was thinking of selling 2500. only 1 of 13!!!

  5. #5chansey2017-04-10 23:56

    If all else is functional on the machine, you are going to park between $10,000 and $20,000 depending on condition. I re-powered my 1500Z with a 130 HP 4BT Cummins ...... what a difference, power to spare Nick is PA

  6. #61972firebird2017-04-11 00:23

    Its a great machine, no issues with it other then the tranny going bad and a leak i have underneath. condition is fair but it was repainted red and white so its not the prettiest.

  7. #7laycobeau2017-04-11 15:14

    What do you mean by broke? The tyranny or the electronics. does m3 solenoid 2nd from the front of the machine go hot in forward.

  8. #81972firebird2017-04-11 15:38

    i think the tranny, i have no forward only reverse and the fluid smells burnt

  9. #9kshansen2017-04-11 16:14

    Well a quick Google search on 215 says, Philadelphia, quick 2 hour drive from you! Before scrapping a machine I would at least pull filters and any suction screens then drain oil to see if there are any bad things going on. Never worked on a ZF but came awful close to working on one in a Trojan. It may have even been a 2500, I do know it had a ZF transmission. I was asked to give an estimate sight unseen on how much to rebuild it. I called the local dealer and the parts guy contacted the factory. They came back with a price of $5,000.00 for a brand new in the crate left over transmission. I passed that information on up the corporate ladder figuring it was a no brainer. Well reply came back more or less telling me I was an idiot and they had a guy who would rebuild it for $2,500.00. Several months latter I learned that this "guy" took way longer than he had said it would take and after he had it back in the machine it would not work and had to be pulled back out a second time. Never heard if they ever got it work and I really didn't care after that.

  10. #101972firebird2017-04-11 16:19

    yeah they told me 5000 also. I dont want to scrap it but dont really want to put money into it either