Looking to buy a used single axle truck to haul , stumps, etc...........I looked a very clean 1989 Ford F800 with 12k miles on it in extremely clean condition. The truck has a ford motor and juice brakes. Can anyone help me with this purchase . I know nothing about the ford motor and enough to be a little leary about the Lucas Girling braking system. I also looked at a Ford F700 with air brakes, nice shape but not sure what motor is in this one. it is an auto.........Please help me pick the better truck. I can't afford to screw this up............and thanks
An 800 is alot of truck for juice brakes. Whats the motor, the 7.8 turbo or the 427 gas hog beast? I pay attention to the single axles I see for sale around me and 6-8k will buy a 15 year old diesel most days of the week. Ih's, ford's, & chevy's mainly. Personally I run a 88' f800 and love it. But its an air braked 7.8 turbo diesel, 5x2 trans. If you want help locating something, give me a shout.
I would stay away from that hyd brake system. You might have more $$ in repairing the brakes than you have in the truck. I wouldn't be afraid of the auto if it checks out but check what engine the F700 has, I wouldn't want a gasser personally.
F800 is a 7.8 turbo, 5 plus 2..........Is there a kit to convert juice brakes to air......I really like the truck and it super clean and not abused by its prevoius owner.The 700 is a deisel motor, brand unknown its stock i know that much. thanks for the help so far
Can you give me an idea of whats around your neck of the woods, i have committed to nothing yet but i need a truck in a bad way but it must be reliable out of the gate.I welcome any truck you know about that a decent truck.
how much do you want to spend? What set up do you need? Do you have a cdl?
10k max, air brakes , deisel motor, clean/dependable truck, CDL in hand or wallet
While the Lucas-Gerling hydraulic brakes are not the best thing ever built, they are a decent brake system. My service truck is an L8000 with these brakes that I've had for 12 years. I run at 28000 lbs every day and have had very little trouble. The rear shoes and cylinders come preloaded on the backing plate all ready to bolt on, the last one I did was about $400.00 but that's been a few years ago. Just did the front calipers and they were $65.00 per side, so the cost isn't prohibitive. Hydraulic brakes do not like to sit along time without moving so that would be my only concern. If it's a 6 cylinder then it's likely a 7.8 Liter Ford which is a very good engine. There should be a sticker on the valve cover that lists the horsepower rating, if it's intercooled then likely 210 HP otherwise 185HP. Mine is 210HP with going on 450,000 miles on it and it still gets 8 MPG. Hope this helps you out.
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1556262 http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1564541 http://delaware.craigslist.org/grd/2887548371.html http://york.craigslist.org/cto/2817119210.html http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/2877969715.html Want more to check out?
thank you ...thats makes me feel a whole lot better. I have only heard horror stories on this system.
thank you.great information. I like a few of them and am going to make a few calls on them today. thank you very much. I love this site...great people..
I know things are different everywhere and so are people but why would someone with CDLs ever consider a single axle ?
Shopguy, one needs a cdl to pull a trailer over 10k gvw, so any excavation operation with even the larger mini excavators is in that class. Why have a single axle, if you do any amount of work in town or in tight quarters, they are your only option, a pickup dump isn't anywhere close in towing saftey, or ability, and their dump systems are an afterthought. Besides tandem and trikes can be hired for peanuts, 70 bucks gets me a trike if I want one for an hour... I've very close to getting that for my single axle (65) because that what my costs are.
I already own a trike. the single axle or 6 wheel truck will be used for an additional haul truck for us. We need another truck to haul equipment with and as Stumpjumper pointed out , if your over 10k total in Pa. you need a CDL...The single axle will be a little easier on fuel and for in town work..
I took the 1993 F700 for a test drive this afternoon. 100k miles, 6 cylinder Cummins motor, Auto Transmission, Air brakes. Thought it was kind of weak feeling. The truck stated a 22800 GVW. It was in decent shape but the guy wanted 7k for it. I felt it was too much for this particular truck. Any thoughts on this truck spec's ?? and its cost ?
That 22800GVW doesn't leave you a lot of room for payload. I'd bet it weighs close to 13,000 empty. I think those trucks can be had with close to a 30,000GVW.
You really will not know till you have it loaded... My f-800 is 14.5k empty, I was lucky enough for it not to have a gcvwr on the title, so it was off to the garage for some number guessing, the title now says 50k gcvwr and 29k gvwr, the L9000 will probably 36k or 38k and that 97' has a really big motor for a single. Interestingly enough, you can get a gas powered single axle down to about 8k empty pretty easily, you just have to be able to stand an underpowered, and expensive truck fuel wise.
Looks like the 12k mile F800 may be my truck. Still looking more over the weekend. thanks again guys , you have been very helpful. 22800 is not enough for what i plan on doing. Both of the machines I plan on hauling come in at close to 11k each.
I'm not going to say that my F700 with a 429 gasser is a power house but I will say that its comparable to a 190hp diesel. It weights in at 13800lbs and has the Lucas Girling brake system, not the best and expensive to repair but they work well. Truck runs well down the freeway up to 30000lbs. Fuel is a loser about 2mpg less than an equally loaded 5yrd 190hp diesel. I will say that next time Ill be looking for at least 250hp, air brakes and a nine or ten spd.
is a 210hp air brake f-800 capable of towing a case 590 backhoe (approx 20,000 lbs) ? don't mind going slow, but want to be safe
Just hauled a deere 550a crawler loader w/ backhoe attachment on mine yesterday. Didn't scale but it had to be 10 ton. Trailer is a 20 ton pintle pull air braked. And If there are hills involved, your going to want to have the brakes adjusted up right, cause that kinda weight will push a single axle truck pretty good. I would also caution you againt moving it during school bus hours, in fact I hate even driving dump without trailer during school bus times. Inevitably the stops are right at the bottom of the hill you want to get a run at, or right in the middle of the one your going down. Once I got the load down on the level, it went well. Could do 60, but a grade knocked the wind out of her sails... Honestly, thats about all the weight that I'd want behind me w/ that setup.
for $10K I much rather have a 1970s-1980s Peterbilt or KW class 8 truck with a rebuilt motor. you get more power, more payload & better brakes
Just thought i would thread jack and see if anyone has one of these they are parting out, My boom truck needs an RS-230 2sd rear with 4.10 high side or i could live with 4.56. The local breaker wants 1800 for a used no warenty take out