Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

thirsty pete

pumba ยท 2014-01-19 22:09

so 1 drive an 07 peterbilt c15 accert 9 spd rollof truck. It weighs 83k loaded I go 125 miles oneway and getting about 3.5 mpg loaded and dry what would make it burn or is that a decent average for that weight just wondering cause diesel here is about 4.69 a gallon

Replies4
  1. #1Mike L2014-01-20 13:19

    Cats have never been known for great fuel mileage. What gears are you running? What kind of driving do you do? Hills, flat road, interstate? Do you drive it hard or just ease up through the gears? A lot of factors go into mpg's Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2pumba2014-01-20 19:52

    well its a lot of sloping hills both ways some flatlands between them I keep it about 65 easy on the throttle most of the time I do it every day and try to have the mpg computer show 4.0 miles a gallon but that's hard to do. Im not sure the rears ratio but she runs 1680 to 1720 rpm at 70 mph kinda low geared feeling its a work horse heavy duty type truck long tall extra weight added from the boom hydraulic tanks tags and stuff. I just think it should do better than what its getting.

  3. #3still learn'n2014-01-20 21:28

    I drive a 2005 kenworth with c15 acert and 18 spd with 4.10 rearends and pull a lot of equipment all the way up to 132,000 and I make around 4-4.5 pulling equipment and pulling end dump up to 5-5.5

  4. #4Dualie2014-01-21 03:05

    keep it under 1500 RPMS at all times, and keep a light foot.