Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

This dam HEAT……

Vetech63 · 2018-06-27 16:01

yeah, its about to kill me. 98 and high humidity ...……...becoming a Walmart greeter is looking a lot more attractive at the moment . Anyone else on the verge of a heat stroke? Im thinking I may be getting to old for this crap.

Replies44
  1. #1Junkyard2018-06-27 17:03

    Right there with ya! What’s worse is in and out of the air conditioned truck! There are days it doesn’t seem to bother me and others it kicks my ***! Today wasn’t bad for some reason. Maybe it was all the Corona last night.....haha

  2. #292U 34062018-06-27 17:43

    Rainstorm here after being in the low to mid 30's Celsius all last week.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2018-06-27 18:31

    97° with 78° dew point here. Spent 4 hours putting in more drip irrigation for my Mom this morning. Tired to spend the rest of the day in A/C and mostly managed it.

  4. #4AzIron2018-06-27 19:18

    113 and 20 percent humidity could be worse before the end of July we will see above 115 and 50 percent humidity

  5. #5Junkyard2018-06-27 19:20

    I don’t even listen or look when it’s hot. I’d rather not know.

  6. #6AzIron2018-06-27 19:22

    I agree you just learn to get thru it

  7. #7Birken Vogt2018-06-27 19:48

    89° and 23° dew point today. Not even any condensation on the AC compressor return line right now. It really is a dry heat. Of course brush fires are always a threat.

  8. #8blucllrplt2018-06-27 21:03

    103 here north of DFW. Installing AC in the shop was one of the best gifts I ever received. Actually now enjoy working in there.

  9. #9Junkyard2018-06-27 21:16

    My shop isn’t bad. 20’ walls help, N/S doors help with a breeze. It’s tolerable most of the time. Then again most days I’m out on site anyway lol

  10. #10thepumpguysc2018-06-28 04:53

    For the past 4-5 days its been 105-108* heat index.. LOTS of warnings on the radio.. Then, just before dark, we get these micro burst lightening & thunder storms w/ 50+mph winds.. for about 1 hr.. The 1st one caught me off guard & destroyed abunch of stuff.. ripped up the canopy I had set-up in the yard.. I still haven't found my beach umbrellas that were in a solid steel base.!! I turned down a job afew days ago.. customer said, I'll meet you at 10:am.. I said, I'll be done & home by 10:am. He said, that's the earliest I can meet you.. I said, sorry, I don't work in the heat & besides, I don't need you there.. He said, But I wanna be there to watch.. I said, sorry.. I either work early in the a.m. or find someone else.. I haven't heard back from him.. "YET"..

  11. #11Vetech632018-06-28 06:30

    I need to buy me a 20000 BTU air conditioner (the kind you stuff in a window) and install me a lift hook on it. Then Ill suspend that with my crane right on top of me where im working, with only the sound of the welder running annoying me. I drove by a local park yesterday and saw a splash pad full of kids playing in the water. I was dam tempted to stop and go throw myself on the ground right under it. With me in my dirty, tattered work clothes, Im sure the parents would think Im a homeless transient.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2018-06-28 06:42

    Lol.. I found a product that actually works.. its one of those "cold towels" You drench it in cold water & wrap it/drape it around your neck & it stays cold for hours.. I think mine is the original from Frogg Togg.?? I have a REAL problem w/ heat, so the wife bought that for me.. IT WORKS.. Theres abunch of knock offs on the market now but I cant comment on them.. haven't used'm.. I don't know how they stay so cold, but draping it around your neck, the cold gets to your corotid artery & cools your blood.. When you put it on for the first time, it takes your breath away.. like jumping into a cold lake. IF ONLY they could make something like that for a beer can.. something that would stay cold for HOURS.

  13. #13kshansen2018-06-28 09:18

    How long does it take you to drink a beer? Don't recall ever having a problem keeping one cold, maybe the third or fourth on a hot day but not the first one or two!

  14. #14Buickspec62312018-06-28 11:38

    I've decided to never curse the heat, since we spend so much of the year cold and buried in snow. Although, our heat here in Central New York is only high for a few days at a time before it drops to a more average temperature.

  15. #15Birken Vogt2018-06-28 12:03

    I agree. The later part of this winter was quite cold by our standards and I spent a lot of time freezing my fingers off. Froze the blossoms off my peach tree. When it is hot I can deal with it but I try to work early mornings and late evenings and spend the hot afternoon in the office on the real hot days. Air conditioning in the truck is a must. I spent one summer with a broken AC because I knew I was switching out of that truck soon, never again will I do that.

  16. #16kshansen2018-06-28 13:17

    Very true, I'm trying to get up the ambition to put in the window AC units in the house before the heat hits. Seems like it sometimes takes longer to put them in than they run some years! One good thing is I have at least two years of wood stacked in the wood shed so when this heat is gone I'm good to go for the cold.

  17. #17Tenwheeler2018-06-28 22:09
  18. #18Tenwheeler2018-06-28 22:10

    Get two! Put one in the ice chest and swap them back and forth.

  19. #19Bumpsteer2018-06-29 00:04

    Not going to be below 88 for the next 10 days...***? Need to mill logs, going to suck. Ed

  20. #20JD955SC2018-06-29 04:37

    I’m not sure about hours but cold from first to last sip? https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-Stainless-Steel-Cooler-12oz/dp/B01DMYISEA What a time to be alive! My company handed out a couple of the cooling towels to everybody this year. Highly recommend them

  21. #21thepumpguysc2018-06-29 05:30

    I have one of those cups too.. 2 thumbs up from me.. mines the big one, 32oz I think & I found a "handle" at Ace Hardware for a few bucks.. I left it in the truck overnite, on a 100* day.. & it still had ice in it in the morning.!!!! Ya cant beat THAT.. Locked up in a truck for 12 hrs w/ outside temp in the hi 70's to low 80's & STILL have ice in a cup??!!! Un-heard of.. I'm pretty sure its an Ozark Trails cup seein the wife is a "walmarter".. Speaking of Walmart.. I went there yesterday to replace my 10x10 pop-up canopy.. 40.0 w/ discount..!!! I didn't know weather to laugh or cry, watching the "people".. "sad" is the only word I can think of..

  22. #22d9gdon2018-06-29 09:53

    Well, I guess this will implicate me but there are some zombies in WalMart. My thoughts are usually "Those plaid pajamas and brown house shoes you're wearing really scream ambition, sir." Nothing to do with the heat is it? Back on track now...

  23. #2351cub2018-06-29 18:16

    It kills me, always did. I'm thinking I'm old enough now that it won't change. I might not mind so much if I could find something that actually works at keeping the sweat out of my eyes and off my glasses. I don't think there's anything that jams me up worse than when I can't see past my eyeglasses because of sweat

  24. #24Vegasclimber2018-06-29 18:33

    Looking at 117 here tomorrow...which is just fine by me, as I am on a plane first thing in the morning to head up to Forks for a week. I don't care what folks say about "getting used to it" - 16 years here and this heat still knocks me on my ass above 105 or so.

  25. #25kshansen2018-06-29 19:26

    My thoughts on heat and cold. I've always said I could take the cold a bit better than the heat. Thing with cold is for most jobs you can just put on another layer of clothing. With heat there is only so much you can take off before someone calls the cops!

  26. #26Junkyard2018-06-29 19:28

    Not to mention appendages you might get caught in the course of a repair.....brings a tear to my eye.....

  27. #27Birken Vogt2018-06-29 19:35

    Remember the guys in Africa working on that D7 or whatever transmission with flip flops.

  28. #28Tones2018-06-29 19:49

    Mate, put some cans in a thick sock, then wet it and hang it in the sun. Don't leave them there to long or they will freeze. It's called refractory I think

  29. #2951cub2018-06-29 19:59

    [QUOTE="kshansen, post: 754576 With heat there is only so much you can take off before someone calls the cops![/QUOTE] I used to think that too but I eventually figured out that I can get gone before they stop laughing long enough to make the call

  30. #30thepumpguysc2018-06-29 20:17

    "THAT customer" called me tonite wanting me to put his pump on tomorrow.. I said, Sorry, I already have plans... {he called at 6 PM}.. I said, I can do it Monday at 7 AM..because I expect to be home by 10:00.. He said, "Fine".. I figured he'd call back.. Lol

  31. #31Bumpsteer2018-06-29 23:26

    Marlin worked today, 88 degrees....had to keep up with 3 kids. He ain't moved in 2 1/2 hours. Didn't make it far from the water bucket. Going to need the Bobcat to get his arse up to go home.

  32. #32Queenslander2018-06-30 05:45

    Dunno what it’s called,Tones, but it would be the same principle as the old canvas water bag. Iam just old enough to remember when every ute in the bush had one hanging on the bull bar and the refreshing taste of the water on a hot day.

  33. #33Vetech632018-06-30 18:13

    The humidity here was so thick today it looked like a fog. Got to be a cooler way to make a living. Im back out tomorrow to finish up another surgery on a 3306 in a scraper that I parked under a tree. I should be in the shade til noon, then IM OUT!

  34. #34Wytruckwrench2018-06-30 20:11

    I started carrying my own shade tree. Works pretty good.

  35. #35Wytruckwrench2018-06-30 20:13
  36. #36thepumpguysc2018-07-01 07:27

    That's pretty slick.. Not to big like those 10x10 "tents".. My mower broke a belt the other day & I pushes it under A TREE.. Lol

  37. #37JD955SC2018-07-01 08:01

    I try not to complain because I prefer the heat to the cold by far...I can layer up in the cold but it’s hard to work on stuff when you are a stuffed sausage of carhartt layers and the insulated gloves are not usable I don’t see how you guys up in the frozen North do it. I lost all my cold tolerance after working at a lake a few years ago during a cold winter (for us) the temps stayed in the teens and the wind cut right through everything I tried

  38. #38ianjoub2018-07-01 08:57

    You shouldn't let a beer last for hours

  39. #39crane operator2018-07-01 09:00

    I like the cold, I don't like the heat. I'll admit to being a big baby anymore about the heat. We installed A/C units in the cranes a couple years ago in the uppers, and its been a life altering decision. We get stuck sometimes faced directly into the sum- for hours. When your out working in it, you can kind of turn your back to it, but there's no where to hide in that crane cab. I don't shut up all the doors and windows, but that cool air on the back of the neck after 1:00 in the afternoon feels pretty good. We just run them off a little propane 110 A/C generator.

  40. #40ianjoub2018-07-01 09:17

    It has been a month since it has been under 70 here (even overnight). It is likely to be this way until Oct. The humidity bothers me more than the heat. low to mid 90's is tolerable, until the humidity is low to mid 90's as well...

  41. #41StumpyWally2018-07-01 12:37

    Here in upstate NY the weather has been pretty good (when it's not raining) so far, but starting yesterday it looks like we're in for what everyone has been suffering thru. Real feel above 100 deg. F for the next week, bright sun, high humidity...it sucks!! I try to do what I can in the AM, then retreat inside to some AC & ceiling fans in the PM. For those of you not yet retired &/or having to work out in it, you have my sympathies...At 72 I can't take the heat like I used to.

  42. #42kshansen2018-07-01 13:10

    Same here near Syracuse, had to cancel a morning ride on the motorcycle this morning as the heat was literally making me sick. Never did like the heat anything over 80ºF is not for me.

  43. #43Old Doug2018-07-01 13:31

    I dont need alot of cash to make it so every year i tell my self to take it easy when it gets hot but it dosent happen. I have a buddy that needs some extra cash so every night for the last 2 weeks we have loaded 1 or2 loads of scrap iron. Its alot like bucking hay bails.Its not easy we hand load alot of it after its loaded haveing the strength to chain it down isnt easy.

  44. #44Old Doug2018-07-11 20:28

    Its been so hot that we have to keep some stuff runing 24/7 to keep it from over heating.