The first hoe I ever ran was an extremely worn out, county machine. I think it was a Ford 4000 Industrial. Every time we ran it, it broke. I'd fix it, we'd run it, it'd break. Since then I've had several older Ford tractors. My opinion of old Ford backhoes is extremely low. When a friend of mine said he'd bought, for me, an old Ford 755A, owned by the school board, I put me head in my hands and started to weep! Started to work on it this week. Somebody had gotten a roller and a can of yellow paint and had tried to spruce it up. It looks hideous, especially with the green mold growing on it. Which leads to my first question: 1. What color is this supposed to be??? I really like Sherwin Williams Acrylon Epoxy paint. 2. Do you think this paint will work on this Ford? I am having trouble identifying this machine. 3. Does the number stamped into the front bumper mean anything? 4. Where else can I look for a VIN? 5. Is there a chart to break down the VIN # and it's meaning? The elbow coming off the turbo charger is rusted through. The parts book has about 10 elbows to choose from. 6. What is a good on-line source for parts and how do I choose? Yes there are pics, I'll post after pics as well I need to get this machine running ASAP, of course! After running it a short time, I absolutely love it. It's incredibly tight. The school board must have used to put up Christmas lights, cuz it's hardly worn out at all. Deterioration is from sitting. Last question 7. Should I try to straighten the oiler cooler, or leave it alone? Thanks for the help Mark
I would leave the cooler alone it looks fine for cooling; smashed fins are the big problem with coolers and I would guess more damage than good would come from any attemt to straighten. I would check with the New Holland dealer on paint we use the factory stuff unless we have had problems in the past (Kubota Orange). On an old machine and a complete repaint I would use Cat Yellow we keep about 20 gallons onhand. I have seen several of the old 755s go for 8 to 10k on the hour meter before they were completely shot. The elbow is minor becasue they can be made cheaper than they can be bought. I would be concerned about the condition of the rubber boots in the system due to sitting. A cracked boot letting dirt in can dust a motor in no time.
paint I got New Holland yellow ,big mistake and half dozen Cat yellows. Can some one tell me what color to paint a 755 A.Some day it will sit in a auction with all its family and I don't want it lookin like a misfit.
My '73 5550 was originally that color. Prior owner painted it with the '80s brownish yellow, which is now peeling off and reveling that yuk yellow. I've got Cat Highway Yellow to repaint it, this winters project. VIN tag is under the engine hood, above the battery; at least it is on mine. That should be '74 to about '79?, turbo and a bigger pump, more gpm, were about the biggest differences. Mine is strong, but slower with the small pump. Yours, why you can do some real damage in an amazing short period of time. I've never been able to find an online parts source, so if anyone has one, pipe up.
Mine must be newer,battery is on the side above fuel tank(see pic).Numbers on front bumper but I don't know what they are.This was bought for a project and then to be sold but I like this tractor so much I told the owner I will buy it.
Lots of potential parts sources here. Hope it helps. http://www.thepartsbook.com/pbadvertisers.html Sorry I don't have any specific vendor to reccomend.
FORD used many different yellows and with fading your best bet is to have a paint shop match your paint,bring a color chip with you they can match your color and mix some up. also fords have been out standing for me.