Diesel generator loses prime and quits or fails to start intermittently. Not wanting to do the job twice I came up with the following solution. (Also I replaced all the rubber hoses from 1999, most of the crush washers in the fuel system, a bunch of splices and aftermarket Frankenstein junk, etc.) 1. I didn't like the way this pickup tube was soldered and I didn't like the reducing pipe bushing. 2. Bend a new piece of copper so it will lay on the bottom and drill a bunch of hose so no filter wrapper or rag will ever clog all them at the same time. 3. Put on a compression fitting so the copper will connect directly to the hose and bubble flare the end for a bead roll for the crimp. 4. Use a crimp ferrule instead of worm clamps for maximum sealing.
nice fix, you coulda gone one better and picked up a replacement pick up screen for a car fuel tank and retrofitted it to that pickup, that would keep any debris from getting sucked up too..