I was just looking at some used track loaders and came across this, a "side dumping bucket"!??! Personally I have never seen one before now, and I was just wondering if anyone else was familiar with them, and could explain what the reasoning behind it is? Here is the web link (I hope it works): http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8084969 Just thought it was a bit odd. :beatsme Cheers :drinkup JD Dozerman
I've seen them, never used one. The main uses seem to be in close spaces, for instance the truck in one lane, the loader drives by in the other lane, traffic runs in the median. Also, they used to put them on track loaders loading in a pit to cut down on turning, the loader could go back and forth beside the truck to the pile w/ very little turning. Turning a track loader tight is hard on the undercarriage and the ground.
As Mitch points out they are type of special application bucket for the most part. For example we have a side dump bucket on a 938H that is used for blasthole stemming. The bucket is filled with the material used for stemming the holes and the loader runs down in between the lines of holes side-dumping the material right down the hole.
The railways here used to run their own plant, and some of the 941/951's had side tippers for loading ballast onto trains.
Thanks guys, that's pretty :scool, I'd never seen one before but I can now see, from what you all have said, what they could be used for. I'm guessing there is a hydraulic cylinder that pushes from one side, to tip the bucket sideways for unloading? Anyhow, thanks for filling me in, learn something new every day. Cheers, JD Dozerman
I've seen them on wheel loaders, never on a track machine.... Ed
Here's a video with an explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPSweiJwSA George
Yeah me too i have only ever seen them on wheel loaders (well actually only advertised with them) never actually seen one in use.
They are common on machines doing utility work on streets or narrow right of ways. Great for bedding and backfilling pipe. You can drive alongside the ditch and dump. Retaining wall contractors also use them. I have seen them on wheel loaders and track loaders, though track loaders are rare around here.
I've seen them on wheel loaders used to backfill ditches without the need to stop traffic. Grab a bucket from the stockpile, drive along ditch parallel to the road and fill staying out of traffic.
That's pretty cool, I had never seen anything like it, but it does make sense, thank you everyone for "enlightening" me. I always like to learn something new, especially when it comes to "new" equipment, it's at least "new" for me anyway! It's great to have a sight like this that I can come to and feel assured that someone has the answers, and is willing to share it, and their knowledge, I really appreciate that a BUNCH!!! Best regards to all, JD Dozerman
seen lot's of them up here especially sewer & water contractor's they realy work good for filling excvator buckets with stone trevor b