This would be a fun visit someday. http://alanbauer.com/images/South Cascades/Bulldozer on South Coldwater Ridge-Horz.jpg
That looks like a Mt St Helens victem to me
Not a dozer. Looks like a cable log skidder.
yup definatly a skidder, maybe an old timberjack at that
come fella's have another look thats a dozer with a winch on it
Yep that's what the pictures title would indicate. A bad place to park, hopefully that operator was off somewhere else.
Photo caption from the photographer's website- "Bulldozer in remains of logging camp on South Coldwater Ridge. Mount St. Helens Volcanic Monument. Washington" Ok, so what kind of dozer? Fiat Allis, I'd say.
Hey guys she ain't stuck that bad and it looks like a track loader from what I can see.
It looks like a dozer with a arch on the back they are common here on the West Coast. Not really for skidding logs but yarding logs out of the way for road building.
You have to keep in mind that, to some people anything that is (or was) yellow and burns diesel fuel is a "dozer". That having been said, it looks like a dozer to me too. If it were a loader, you'd expect to see the top end of the loader arm there near the cab, but instead you can see under hood components. I'd think that even with the hood missing, the loader arm would block the view of those.
Heres the back end of a timberjack skidder. Faileads look the same to me.
Its defently a dozer. The rear logging arch is to close to the cab to be a skidder. You also can see one of the front cylinder for the blade.
ya looks like the back side of a logging/ land clearing dozer later bulldog
Looks like a crawler with winch and an arch. My father had a small one when I was a kid, slow and rough, at least in Maine it was.
It's a Cat D8 H or K, I've seen a pic of it from the front. Do an Image Search on Google, using the criteria "Abandoned Bulldozer" or "derelect bulldozer" and it will eventually turn up. Along with a ton of other interesting stuff... alan627b
Well you can see that it has blade lift cylinders, and a Cat type ROPS. It is a dozer with a winch and fairlead arch. It looks like a D7F or G. You can see the typical cat precleaner inlet bent over and the guarding around the fuel tank. Just look at a D7G photo of that side. I bet John C or surfer joe will know.
Maybe not as much fun as this one...
Looks as if that one caught fire and they used 2 much water putting it out! That's something ya don't see everyday a great big Dozer wash.lol Do you know where this one is?
I did a Google search as alan627b suggested and found this interesting photo gallery. Click on link below. http://www.overland.co.za/grader/
mag6000 - That website is a very interesting find, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup Looking through the pictures you can't help but try an imagine each ones story and how they ended up abandoned in the bush. The interesting part is most of the machines, even in their state of disrepair, didn't seem to have some sort of catastrophic failure - other than all the missing parts of course. I guess all the discussion about dealer service and parts availabilty means more than we appreciate.:cool2 And also gov't stablility. I spent over a month in Kenya after graduating college in '95 and those pictures of the landscape bring back some memories. When I was there manual labor was the way things were done. The folks I met didn't like alot of mechanized contraptions doing the job of several laborers - it was taking food off their table. Now it has been a while since I was there but that may explain one aspect of the otherwise salvagable machines at the time they were parked becoming abandoned. Just my thougths. To get back on the topic - My vote is D7G with an arch winch.
What I find incredible, is how come in a poor country, those machines have pretty much zero value, but here they would be gobbled up like crazy? How come we don't have that sorta stuff here just for the taking? I just don't get it.
The folks in third world countries have to work so much harder for the simple things in life than us fortunate ones have to. Just collecting food and water for the day takes alot of effort when you have to haul the water you are going to use from the spring or local watering hole and you either grow it yourself or depend on the local market for your dinner. Without running water, electricity and therefore no refrigeration - it really changes your priorities. Like I posted before, I spent a short time living this way and let me tell you it is tough. Bathing is not as important when you have to haul the water for your bath in addition to what you need for cleaning dishes and eating. If you need to travel 100 miles, it may take 2 days and 4-5 different modes of transport ie: nissan pickup, toyota mini-bus, old retired city bus, train (if you are lucky) and whatever else comes along that will offer you a ride. It's funny I never hitched a ride anywhere else than Africa and never thought twice about it - it's a different world. Getting back to my point - these abandoned machines have no value where they are located. It's kinda like having a Delta 4 rocket in your backyard. Cool - yes, expensive- yes, valuable to someone- absolutely , are you able to get any value out of since you don't have the support, launching pad, etc - no. It just becomes yard art. It's hard to put into words but I am sure some of our members that have spent time in third world countries can add more insight to this than I can.
Well, I have a feeling that most of those machines suffered some kind of mechanical failure. And due to lack of money and/or support, were just left where they broke down. And then the scavengers got to them, leaving only the incomplete carcasses. And it could that the owners scavenged them to keep others running too. Who knows.
Yeah with free foreign aid money they can afford to let em rot. I wish I could find a D155 like that one for the taking here some place.
I found that site too, whilst searching, and had the thought, maybe some of them were stolen and stripped. You see stuff parked all over this country, that has nothing apparently wrong with them, just not used anymore. I suppose, if you are a major contractor and not a little guy, this stuff reaches a point where it's just not practical or cost effective to use in a production operation anymore, and it gets sent to the back lot for "someday". I wish I could remember where the front shot of the St Helens dozer is, that might help answer the question as to whether it's a D7 or D8 for sure..... alan627b
A nice picture of the engine or valve cover would do it. Size of stuff on rear, ROPS etc. looks like a D7.
Thanks to all for the cool pic's, very interesting to see.
The problem with a "valve cover" pic, is that the machine was exposed to the blast when the volcano blew, and the pic I had was taken from the front, looks even worse than this one does....no paint left, burned nearly completely, rust on almost everything, and nearly buried in debris. I would try to find the pic, it's stored on one of my CD's, but.... Some time ago, the computer "lost" the E drive, which reads and burns CD's....I can put a known to be good CD in, and the computer won't recognize that one has been loaded. Don't ask me how, I don't know...suffice to say, there are a lot of stored pics in My Pictures, waiting for the day when I can get it fixed! alan627b
Well its as simple as what engine does it have? If there are 2 separate valve covers aka D342 or the nice little skinny one aka 3306 then we know what dozer it is.
Uh, maybe you misunderstand....I didn't actually take the photos...I live in Nebraska....it's in Washington state...I've never been there....and from what i remember of the pic in question, it would take another bulldozer to dig enough debris away to get close enough to see what engine is in there....hope this clarifies things! alan627b
I've worked in the St. Helens area many times and don't recall seeing that particular dozer. The area in the photo does remind me of several machines up there. The logging operations up there were Weyerhaeuser's or were gypos working for Weyerhaeuser. The unit in the photo is probably a D8H or K as previously stated. They were used mostly for road construction or as tail holds for a high lead operation. I don't recall ever seeing a D7 on a Weyerhaeuser operation but they had a few D6s. The square tubing on the ROPS tells me it was manufactured by Medford. The turbo being on the left side of the machine tells me it is a D342. From its position I would suspect the machine was being used for a tail hold. I've seen loggers dig a hole and then put the dozer in it and hook the main line to the belly pan hook. See the photos for an example. Camp 2 was outside of the blast zone but was hit hard by the mud flow coming down the Toutle river. Weyerhaeuser lost everthing in that camp.
Good info, nice pictures!:thumbsup
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6044316&guid=455DD5E0AF31447EB0C48FDE933CE452 Looks like John wins. I was wrong on that one. Must be a D8
should have gotten a longer stick to roast his marshmellows
Welcome to HEF texasdirtmover! :drinkup
I think it is salvageable! Good winter restoration!
Those photos bring back some old memories. Looks like a 110' Skagit running a shotgun system with some type of motorized carriage? From the deflection on the skyline it looks like they are strecthed out there a fair bit. We used to have an old 8240 Terex that we used for a tail hold, we learned real quick to dig a deep hole and sometimes bury a log in front of the dozer for good measure. The rule of thumb was; if you thought the hole was deep enough, you dug 2 more feet, 3 if you were on a backside guyline.
It's a D8H, and was serving as a tailhold for a Madill 009. Both machines are still there today. I'll post a few pics. I have lots, have been there many times since May 1980 when the mountain blew.
Cant post pics yet I guess?
Welcome to HEF Contract Logger Glad you could join us. You have to make 3 posts before you can post pictures or attachments. Its to keep the bots away. Your count shows 3 now, so if you try again it should work.
Thank you, LOL, now if I can figure out how to post a jpg file as an attachment...... I have thousands of machinery pics, but little computer saavy!
Take a look at this thread .
Here are some shots of that dozer in 1980. It was hit hard by the volcano.
Thanks for the instructions CM1995. That was easy.
Here are some more shots.
Mt St Helens annialated a 600 square-mile forested mountainous area, and everything in it. There is alot of equipment that has never been found- including 43 Kenworth C500 trucks, some brand-new log loaders, and a few people. It blew up on a Sunday, or hundreds-maybe thousands- of workers would have been killed.
Definitly a Cat by the ROPS and the turbo location. What a horrible fate for such a great tractor
two valve covers could also be a 339 in a Cat D7E too.
More Mountain Mania- including an International TD25C that was new at the time. The Link-Belt LS5800 Log Loaders were new as well- it got 6 of those.
There were at least 22 different logging operations in the devastated area. All had a full complement of equipment and trucks.
That is a NEW Link-Belt LS5800 Log Loader, a year-old Madill 009, and the D8H in question in the background of the last pic there............... The 90 foot tall tower tube is laying over the log deck.
Here's another logging operation. In that twisted ball of iron is an Madill 009 rubber mounted yarder and a Bucyrus Erie 38-B Log Loader.
Another one- here in a Skagit 110' tower yarder AND a Link-Belt LS98TL crawler mtd log loader in one big ball. The loose shovel on its side was also and LS98, but on rubber tires.
More blown up junk.
Blown up and washed downstream.
Very cool pics, it show how much power was released. Was any of the equipment salvaged or was it abandoned. I thought i read the area was going to be left for nature and to be studied on how it recovers. Pics from this year, 30 years later would be really neat.
Contract Logger Those are some of the best pictures I have seen showing the devastation from the eruption. I lived in NW Colorado at the time, and I remember about a 1/2" layer of ash on everything. It was like it had snowed, but it was grey snow. Thanks for posting. I will be looking forward to more now.
Thanks for sharing the pictures...
Some in black and white.
More in B&W. the world there was mostly grey anyway...............
More in B&W.
Wow! Those are terrific pictures. Astounding the destruction it caused.
I am wondering how the insurance companies dealt with this disaster?Did they pay or did they wiggle out from under it? I have to say that I did not appreciate the magnitude of the devastation until I saw your pics here..............all that equipment......poof....like we'll show you who's boss here.Wow!! These are great,you cannot beat a picture to make a point.Thanks.Ron G
Mother at it's most powerful Hi, Those photos are awsome so much distruction, Please for give me for asking some questions about this disaster, Q/what year did it happen ? Q/ How many people perished in this disaster ? Q/ did they find them all ? Q/ Whats it like now ? Cheer for now Wheelybin Australia.
Happened in 1980, I believe April. I had a chance to fly over in about 6 or 8 weeks after it happened. Unbeliveable site. Not sure how many were killed. I know that not all of them were found, so technically they are missing and presumed dead. I imagine that they were later declared dead. Have not been there for several years so I can't tell you what it looks like now.
Wow Contract Logger those are some of the coolest pictures I have ever seen. Do you have any more? What does the site look like today?
A d6 The unit in this photo is very obviously a D6C... But maybe I´m getting something wrong
Not to argue, but look in post 43 and post 45. That is the same dozer as the picture in the first post, just taken shortly after the eruption. Looking there, you will see it is clearly a D-8H or D-8K
Guys....take a look at post #38 and the successive photos. This has been put to rest - its a D8H.
WOW! Those are some awesome pictures. I have never really seen any like these that show the damange done on the hill. Its just a good thing that nobody was working that day. But then again, with as much warning as that rock was giving, I'm sure there was some common sence being used by all the contactors up there. I'm also sure that some of the older, junkier iron was left for a reason. Same as some of the stuff with big bank notes on em too!
Actually I remember people trying to raise hell because the state had locked everyone out of up there. The state did everything they could to clear the area before the happening. All the loggers were warned ahead of time but even they might have gone to work on the next week day. I seem to remember them being locked out the week before. I don't recall there being much of a stink about insurance coverage. As I recall the biggest share of equipment up there belonged to Weyerhaueser. As far back as I remember they were self insured. I don't know if the volcano is an act of God or would be considered a land slide which is actually what that was. Maybe Contract Logger or someone else might know. I've seen a lot of photos from that mess and there are lots posted in this thread that I've never seen. A big thanks to Contract Logger!
Blew up at 8:32 am May 18th, a Sunday morning. Lucky, my dad worked for Weyerhaeuser and would have been killed along with a thousand or so others. Was a quiet Sunday morning in the wilderness, then BOOM, I'll never hear anything like that again, and I was 35 miles from that mountain.
Weyerhauser was self insured. My father worked for them and has an incredible bunch of pics (hundreds) from trips in there shortly after the blow. The most inpressive thing to me, to this day, is a long list of BIG equipment that has never been found. Someday 5,000 years from now some archeologists will be whisking the dust off of Cat 235 log loaders and things like that up there going ***!!?? There are 2 big yarders that have not turned up, dozers, around 40 trucks, etc..... Erosion and winds will show them in time I suppose.
Not to get too much off topic but what were you shooting with back in those days? Those are fantastic pictures to have been taken with a camera that would be carried in that environment with risk of damage etc. I'll bet there was a lot of equipment up there "on paper" too when it came time to calculate losses.Thanks again for everyones contributions here,it is very interesting.Ron G
Very cool pics, interesting reading, thanks for sharing.:drinkup Bob aka ZZ P.S. I don't hate dozers, love em!
Crazy being up there in those days. Lots of equipment they still havent found, 30 years later. Impressive.
Thread hasnt been getting much action. Here are some more.
Few more.
Contract logger, very cool I am watching please keep posting pics. Sure hope Rainier never blows!
Thank you for your beautiful pictures :lmao
Dose any body know Dose any body have some resent photos of the area and what it looks like. Cheers Andrew.
cann't believe nowone tryed to salvage any of that equipment. makes me sick to see all that equipment destroyed or left to rot.
Not a lot of value in machines that are packed full of ash and you got to spend $10,000 a mile for the road you have to build to get to them. What's still up there is going to stay up there. I was up to Windy Ridge last weekend and will post some photos. I have to do some resizing first.
It has been thirty years since the big blast and though a few greenies want you to think it was better to let everything rot and that nature would be back at work in short order, these pictures show a different story.
The mountain has dust flying off it because the wind is blowing fierce. The lake is Spirit Lake. All the logs on the side are from the blast and what was floated when the lake filled back up. I've heard there is still a forest at the bottom of the lake still standing. I find that hard to believe when I see other parts of the blast zone. Here are some more photos.
The first photo in that series is the north end of Spirit lake with Mt. Rainier poking up over the ridge. The second photo is Mt. Adams which is almost directly east. Notice the areas that were hit directly by the blast and note how little vegetation has grown back. Three more coming.
This next three photos were from a loop road that returns back to the town Randle a different way. As I recall these were about 6 miles from Windy Ridge. You can see the tree skeletons either laid over with the roots up. Snapped off at the ground level or cut off like a buzz saw hit them about twenty to fifty feet off the ground.
I have heard that the blast was so hot that it sterilized the soil of all organic matter. The last photo shows the pumice that covers everything. There is a lot of scrub in places where the water collects and percolated through. There are some odd stands of trees that you wouldn't think should be up there. Cottonwood and pine trees are all over even though the elevation we were at was about 4,000 feet. There was plenty of Noble fir up there but very little Douglas Fir, Cedar or Hemlock. It was a real nice motorcycle ride up there and we saw plenty of road racers that apparently like a thrill. There are no guard rails up there at all to foul the view. You miss a corner and you will have some time to think about how much the stop is going to hurt. I like this viewing spot of the mountain far better than the Johnson Ridge park. It takes more to get there but is well worth the trip.
Amazing photos! But wow, by looking at the tabs on the roof and the wood around the back, these sure look like the same guy. - Chris
Well. There it is. Ross & Sons. Can't tell you how it made me feel to see those pics. The Link Belt was a 108 with Clark under carriage. The Manotowoc a 2300. There is also a TD 24 and a brand new TD 20 on this location, along with our 110 Tillman tower and Skagit yarder. The fire truck was never found. Went down the creek with all the water that was blasted out of the lake above. Our cutters were there. Tom Gadwa and Wally Bowers. Their pickup was blown across the hillside for an INCREDIBLE distance. I found parts from their pickup in August of 80 when ith started to show up in the ash as orange rust in the gray landscape.
Looks like it was a good machine at some point. Aint nothing but scrap steel now.
Great photos, I would have thourght that after 30 years, That all that timber in the Spirit Lake might have rotted away by now, looking at the photo's it's looks like a pretty big area 100 ha plus in size, Could have the timber that is floating in Spirit Lake could it have been harversted or not. Cheers Andrew.
I don't know for sure why it couldn't have been harvested but I think the biggest reason was for the subsidized education establishment to claim science and then submit their applications for grants to study the decay. I'm quite sure the University of Washington has projects going on up their all the time paid for by our tax money.
If they are, they must have a sh-t load of data on papers on it by now. You never know what reserch can do these days, Hope they publish their findings thuo. Cheers Andrew.
Thanks to all who have posted these excellent photos, especially Contract Logger. I devour any information on Mt. St. Helens I come across and finding these photos and comments of what had been some of the logging operations on the mountain is the icing on the cake. I was at Johnson Ridge this July, my third visit to the mountain since 1983 and always enjoy seeing how she changes. Would love to get back in and see some of these old machines. BTW, Are any of the members here on HEF members of the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Museum at Brooks, OR? I really want to join when I relocate to Oregon.
Great pictures. If we get some good weather towards the end of October, I'll head up there and take some more photos if anyone is interested.
Figured I'd bump this. Defiantly cool pics!
A few years ago, I worked with a building contractor here in east Tx, he had moved down here from the west coast. As we talked, he went on and told me why it was that he had ended up in east Tx, he was a Volunteer Fire Chief with one of the Volunteer Fire Departments there. I wish I had recorded our conversations. He talked about how the old man at Spirit Lake Lodge refused to leave, and all the issues they dealt with leading up to the blow! Very interesting conversations........
I've been up there many times and the info centers and monuments show pics of that old man and tells his story. Very cool to see and learn all the old history.
I was just out there last week, anybody have an idea what make and model this piece is?
It's a carbody for a crane. We would probably need to see something of the house to be able to identify anything.
Couple more pictures
Judging by the colour of the bit of paint that’s left on it I’m going to say Bucyrus. 19 or 22B maybe.?
I saw in one of Contract Loggers old posts that it was a BE 30B, although a google image search of those brought up different looking machines. What's unique about the one up on the Mountain is the undercarriage beam appears be a casting and has a curved indentation at the top middle with an arrow cast into it. Been searching google images but haven't seen anything like it yet.
I was in Yakima when it blew. We had no idea, and my mother and I went up to the other farm to do some irrigation work that morning. I saw this black ugly storm cloud heading our way, and we hurried back home. it was the strangest thing, you know when you see the very light snow swirling behind passing cars? We could see that on the way home, but not the ash itself. Just those swirls. The ash started to fall in earnest about 9:30, and the sun glowed red to the east, and then just went away. It made a noise on the metal roof of the patio, and all sorts of little sparrows landed in there. They were totally confused and you could just pick them up. About 4:30 the sun burned through again, red. and then it got dark again. I had a 1974 Cornbinder 1700 flatbed dump, and spent the next three weeks hauling ash for the city of Selah. It got really hot the weeks after, and I got burnt on the left arm and side of my face from having the window down and arm out. Even though I changed filters a couple of times, the old 392 split a piston. We guess it was from ash infiltration.
je l/ai vendu et j/achete plus neuve les chantiers a montreal il faut allez vite machine resante 2015et plus je regarde 750mlg case ou john deere 700jlgp 2012 et plus under 700 hours