Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

this one looks promissing

BIGDAN315 ยท 2008-02-08 15:03

Well I found another 86 Ford 9000 and it is looking much better than the last. If it runs as good as it looks its a keeper I think. It has a 300 horse cummins,10 speed.18000 front 46000 rears, good rubber all the way around. fresh paint job. 176000 miles.

Replies29
  1. #1BIGDAN3152008-02-08 15:06

    Here is a pic.

  2. #2thejdman042008-02-10 16:09

    Looks pretty good but make sure to check it over well paint dont make it run

  3. #3BIGDAN3152008-02-10 19:08

    Thanks and I will. He is going to send me more pics and info before I make the 4 hour trip to look at it.

  4. #4dayexco2008-02-10 19:40

    take to truck shop in area with trusted mechanics, give em coupla hundred bucks, have them do a quick go over for you. don't trust the dupont tuneup.

  5. #5ror76a2008-02-10 19:59

    Looks almost too good for an 86, most Louisvilles around here of that vintage have cabs held together by bondo and fiberglass. Take a magnet with you when you go to look at it, that new paint does a good job of hiding that sort of thing. :cool2

  6. #6BIGDAN3152008-02-11 09:04

    Right but who knows where it came from. It could of came up from the south. The truck is at a dealership and thats all he does is deals with big trucks. I will check just the same...Thanks

  7. #7Lashlander2008-02-11 10:41

    Could it be because of,,, ummmmm uhhh, the orange cancer?

  8. #8Steve Frazier2008-02-11 14:13

    Now where have I heard that before???:wink2

  9. #9BIGDAN3152008-02-11 16:21

    Hey now.... :bash:ban

  10. #10Lashlander2008-02-11 22:41

    Sorry, It just that its been a while since that was thrown out there.:drinkup

  11. #11ror76a2008-02-12 09:39

    I hope that it is, but I have seen a lot of people by a nice shiny coat of paint, and a couple years later it shows what it really is, I don't wish that on anyone. Thats what I was getting at, just didn't want to have to say it:crying I hope it turns out to be as good as it looks, good luck with it Bigdan.

  12. #12BIGDAN3152008-02-13 12:20

    Guess I missed something along the way But no worrys I am aware of the dupont overhalls. I woud not buy something based on appearance only. It does help eyes though not to see a rust bucket in the pics...:cool2

  13. #13Countryboy2008-02-13 19:47

    Yes, it was a little bit of an inside joke. It wasn't directed at you though.

  14. #14rino2008-02-14 19:56

    Forget the magnet as the hood is glass! Just make damn sure that the engine is in good shape. Run it down the road and see if you can get a load on (old tires something) and see how the eng performs, as well as the brakes! Had many truck haul a load, but stopping was an other story!

  15. #15BIGDAN3152008-02-14 22:44

    I hear ya thanks...:

  16. #16BIGDAN3152008-02-15 23:19

    Drove 300 miles to look at the truck today. I was dissapointed when I test drove it. It was gutless to say the least. It idled fine and ran fine but no power. No smoke good oil psi. The odometer shows 173000 miles. The tubo whistle was present. Fuel filter was just changed. Does any one have any sugestions?

  17. #17BIGDAN3152008-02-15 23:24

    Looked at her today. The bottoms of the doors have been glassed in a little but thats all that I found.

  18. #18rino2008-02-16 02:19

    IS that a 290 Cummins? The 290 don't have but 250 HP! 250 HP is NO HP! Might as well have that IH 488D as to have the 290! But there is an advantage, while those big hp trucks are at the fuel pump, you'll still be rolling because the 290 don't use much fuel! With the price of fuel up, your op cost will be lower, and at the end of the day! the other trucks might have 1 more load than you do! So who care if you aren't the first one off the line! You'll have more money to pay the bills, and less of a fuel bill to pay!

  19. #19BIGDAN3152008-02-16 11:38

    The dealer states it is a 300 hp cummins but let me tell ya my DT 466 210 hp will run circles around it and loaded at that. I am certain it has problem either with feul restriction or air flow problem. These are minor problems I know but I wasn't prepared to do whole lot of trouble shooting at the time. It ran fine , no misses, smoke, etc. Just no balls. My foot was was pushing the pedal through the floor most of the time ( empty)... just trying to get any speed out of it.

  20. #20BIGDAN3152008-02-16 11:53

    Would also like to add that the dealer states that the truck has 18000 front and 46000 rears. Looking at the door tag it states a gvwr of 50000 and did not see any thing on axle ratings. something just does not add up to me...Does any one know what these LT 9000 usually have ?

  21. #21BIGDAN3152008-02-16 12:07

    Would also like to add that the dealer states that the truck has 18000 front and 46000 rears. Looking at the door tag it states a gvwr of 50000 and did not see any thing on axle ratings. something just does not add up to me...Does any one know what these LT 9000 usually have ?

  22. #22ror76a2008-02-16 12:43

    :wink2 Yes, the hood is glass, but the cab & doors are (or should be :wink2) steel. Sounds like BIGDAN has got it checked out though. This is not always the case, I have found that sometimes (depends on about a million diffrent things) the higher powered engine is actualy better on fuel. For example one of my freinds hauls livestock and had a 550hp cummins and a 600hp cat, he said that the cat was actualy better on fuel, because with the cummins you were always on the throttle where the cat would pull the same load at half throttle. :beatsme

  23. #23ror76a2008-02-16 12:52

    The LT9000 could have just about any combination you could put in them. I have an L9000 tractor with (I beleive it is original) 38,000 rears, and a L9000 tandem with 46,000 rears (started life as a single axel tractor & now is a tandem dump with the rears from a 69 Dimond Reo tractor that pulled gravel trains all its life), so the tag is not nessasarly right, especialy at that age the truck could have had several diffrent suspensions under it. The only real way to know is to check them out for your self, because dealers (nothing against this one, may very well be honest) have been known to lie about that sort of thing.

  24. #24BIGDAN3152008-02-16 13:54

    How does one know what the axles are rated for and can you tell what they are by just looking at them ? Can you maybe count springs and thickness? It has 5 spoke wheels.

  25. #25Steve Frazier2008-02-16 23:50

    What I'm not understanding is why you are spending so much time researching trucks with known problems. If you can't get any documentation on the GVWR, how will you ever be able to register it? If there's a problem with one of the axles and you need parts, how will you know what you need?

  26. #26BIGDAN3152008-02-17 10:26

    Getting edumacated I guess,like every one else...:beatsme

  27. #27Bob Horrell2008-02-17 23:17

    Most rear ends have tags on them that give you the manufacturer and the rating. If there are no tags a good diesel drive line mechanic can tell you by looking at it. Same for the front end.

  28. #28BIGDAN3152008-02-18 08:25

    Thanks Bob...:usa

  29. #29Duke2008-02-20 20:35

    You'd be shocked at how much junk there is out there just pitchforked together by used equipment dealers. The most common thing you see is road tractors converted to cheap dump trucks. I tell you who makes for a nice used dump is MACK. The older Macks are known for durability.