Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts/advice on keeping 955H

dhutch ยท 2013-12-19 16:24

I have a '63 model 955H that I'm trying to decide if its worth while to replace the pads and rails on it or sell it as is and get a 955L, 175C or similar loader? The rails are well worn out, the bushings are worn through. The sprockets look good as well as the rest of the undercarriage. I was thinking of finding a good used set of rails/pads and putting them on. This is a 2 speed PS that runs fine, a little slow, but still good. The pins and bushings in the loader assembly is worn with a lot of movement, but it still works good. I've gone through the radiator, oil cooler, oil filter, replacing gaskets and o-rings and cleaning them out to help an over heating issue. The D330T engine smokes from using oil, but still runs good. My concern is putting money/time in the tracks and then a final drive, trans, etc going out and there Im stuck. Ive been using it to clear some of the 60 acres that we bought a couple of years back. I would like to have a faster machine (3 speed PS) that doesnt work me as hard (foot brakes vs. levers), but I don't mind that as much. Just not wanting to put money into something that might give up soon. I've just retired out of the military and I'm also considering doing small excavation, land clearing jobs from time to time. That's another reason for my wanting to upgrade. Any thoughts, ideals or advice?

Replies4
  1. #1DMiller2013-12-19 17:07

    I can relate, have a mid70's Allis that when it works I really enjoy using but needs so much. I had spent a lot to get it to where it is then the trans starts shooting craps, then I throw a rail to find they are around .110 beyond the Zero point, considered scrap but with the money I had in it decided to buy a donor which I had originally intended to use my good engine in then realized mine was in better condition save the rails and a few odds and ends so I am using it for parts. You at least have a parts available machine so I would consider replacement rails, rollers, even bucket pins/bushings if the old girl works to your satisfaction. Buying another just newer but probably just as close to a major failure could lead to ruin and loss of both units, I would discount the 175C first off for lack of parts suppliers/supplies. I have to keep mine for now, you have a few choice but they are yours and if I was headed down a replacement road I would look even newer to a 953 early series. Check with a Cat dealer on repair parts, they have a aftermarket rails system that from what I hear is not the greatest for lifespan but not so hard on the pockets.

  2. #2Nige2013-12-19 17:35

    They're known as Cat Classic Parts and are sometimes less than half the price of the "premium" Cat parts. For a home use machine they'd likely be more than good enough.

  3. #3dhutch2013-12-20 07:28

    I'll check on the classic parts line and see what it might cost me. Putting more money into it is the dilemna. I guess its all a crap shoot either way.

  4. #4Nige2013-12-20 08:06

    Sometimes the devil you know can be better than the devil you don't. Although there have been people from here on HEF who have struck really lucky when buying used equipment, usually from a one-previous-owner type of deal who had really looked after the machine in question. Not sure how many machines like that there are around.