Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on a failed bucket cylinder

pados1002 ยท 2025-06-18 02:24

Hey guys I 'm posting a couple of photos of a bucket cylinder that was repaired about 3 months ago from a machine shop. Rod was ok and only the tube was replaced and welded on the old ends. Yesterday the weld broke in half. I 'd like your opinions on this failure. Is it a bad repair or something else that I should probably look for on my hydraulics?

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2025-06-18 02:33

    From the photos it appears that it was a **** weld with little or no penetration into the parent material. I'd be going back asking for warranty if it was me.

  2. #2Tones2025-06-18 02:35

    Beginning and end of story, poor workmanship. To back that claim , rams can last over 30yrs of abuse and never fail like that.

  3. #3pados10022025-06-18 02:37

    Fortunately the shop is really helpful and immediately asked me to send the cylinder back to them. However they told me that a potential hydraulic malfunction when you go from opening the bucket to closing, if the the return oils don't work properly could cause such an issue. I ll try to check if this behavior occurs but I m not convinced.

  4. #4Nige2025-06-18 02:38

    BS, piled high and deep.......

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-06-18 07:23

    Could we get a picture of the whole cylinder? From what I can see, I see more paint than weld. That is about the worst welding failure, well maybe not the worst but it looks like no penetration and either wrong process or wrong wire.

  6. #6pados10022025-06-18 07:27

    Cylinder already sent to the machine shop so I don't have any more pictures. However where I get it back I take few photos before painting.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-06-18 07:43

    Make sure they throw in a bucket or 2 of hydraulic oil.