Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on this truck

PSDF350 ยท 2009-03-13 16:25

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-I...mQQptZCommercial_Trucks?hash=item170309954078 Can get it pretty painlessly. Done business with the bank before and they want to do business again.

Replies8
  1. #1Grader4me2009-03-13 17:46

    It looks to be in good shape. It's hard though when you don't know it's history. Has quite a few miles on it to. Be a tough decision if it was me.

  2. #2Red Bank2009-03-13 18:31

    When I worked at a trucking company we had a fleet of these for our "city trucks", one thing to look at is the driver's door jamb and hinges, these were bad to crack, we complained to International and they came up with a shortened seat belt that was bolted around the hinge to prevent the door from opening all the way and provide cushion when opening the door, it was a fancy door strap!. The 466 was a pretty good engine and easy to work on, I remember we had a lot of IPR (injection pressure regulator) valves, HPOP(high pressure oil pump) problems and injector o-ring problems. We got to the point that if the truck was runnning rough, had at least 100000 miles on it and never had injectors replaced, we replaced them, joke at the shop-"never had injectors, put a set in". The good news is everything on the engine is pretty simple to replace, I can't remember having to have anything special, other than a pressure gauge to check the HPOP. I am not trying to scare you away from this International, just letting you know what problems we had with them. The best piece of advice I can give you is after looking at the ad and knowing what I do about those trucks, if I wanted one outfitted like this one and I could get a deal on it, then I would buy it.

  3. #3PSDF3502009-03-13 19:29

    Thanks 18k.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2009-03-14 11:43

    My buddy had a similar truck a few years older, it was real good to him. I borrowed it to pick up a parts truck about 100 miles away and at over 250,000 miles the truck ran like new with no rattles or squeaks. I was real impressed. If that truck has been well maintained, I wouldn't worry about the mileage. My only concern would be the 6 speed transmission. I think if you haul a load or try to tow a machine you're going to wish you had some more gears. My buddy's truck was a 5 x 2.

  5. #5PSDF3502009-03-14 12:12

    Being a repo worries me about how well maintained it was.

  6. #6Turbo218352009-03-14 12:13

    Good reliable truck. Company I used to work for had 15-20 of them. That style and the style older. They hold up really well. They were bounced around. A large number of them were used by the services division, to they were always pulling JD 410 and 510 backhoes, Tak skid steers, or JD 450g, 550g and 650g dozers. In fact it was common to haul a tak 150 and a 450g. We also had them with our finish grade dirt crews. Where used them for tasks such as hauling spoils on small parking lot and subdivision jobs. We also used them to haul spoils and stone on road widening projects where we had staging areas. They were well used and abused, but they held up to it. They were in the shop a lot less than our Quad axle make CH and RH dumps.

  7. #7PSDF3502009-03-14 12:33

    Thanks Turbo21835

  8. #830 dirty years2009-03-14 13:07

    The truck looks good and has a nice hydrolic set up we had a new one set up similar price quoted at around $80,000 new with plow and all. I think used about 15,000, you need to look at the rust on the frame and wiring spreading salt can cause a lot of problems