Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

threads

jsmith6752james4now · 2020-07-03 11:14

Can the treads on the end of the cylinder end be chased? I had a tough time getting the seal end off and now it on goes in about 4 turns. I hope I don't have to buy a new cylinder tube. thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Ct Farmer2020-07-03 11:28

    Internal or external threads? On external I’ve often used a knife edge file to carefully clean out burrs.

  2. #2jsmith6752james4now2020-07-03 11:29

    It's not the gland threads it'e the tube end threads.

  3. #3Ct Farmer2020-07-03 12:59

    Right, so is the tube threaded on the inside or outside? Perhaps post a picture so we can see what you are dealing with.

  4. #4jsmith6752james4now2020-07-03 14:06

    The treads are on the inside.The gland screws into them.

  5. #5DMiller2020-07-03 14:19

    There are thread files available can get them from such as MSC, Grainger, I found a set with tip end files for internal threads as this at McMaster Carr. Can take a conventional Tap of that thread TPI and use it sideways as a file if the threads are boogered up. https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-repair-files/

  6. #6Ct Farmer2020-07-03 14:29

    Yup, thread files, a tap the right pitch, just carefully scrape one flute though the damaged area. I have also used a thread cutting tool from the lathe and scraped with that. Carbide is best if you have it. I’ve also got some really fine hooked jewelers files that are useful for this sort of thing. You probably only have one small area that is damaged right at the point it starts to hang up. Though not likely there is a chance the tube is no longer round or has been slightly damaged distorting the thread.

  7. #7jsmith6752james4now2020-07-03 16:02

    good info...thanks

  8. #8jsmith6752james4now2020-07-04 11:32

    How do I determine the thread size?

  9. #9Ct Farmer2020-07-04 11:38

    You need a thread pitch gage. Depending on machine could be SAE or metric.

  10. #10mikebramel2020-07-05 10:34

    https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-842-250 https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-842-300 https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-842-301

  11. #11jsmith6752james4now2020-07-05 22:20

    Does anyone have the torque spec for the lift boom cylinder nut on a 1840 case? I have a manual for a 1839? I need one for a 1840.....thanks