Need tips on how to remove primary chain sprocket on a 960 mustang skid steer. Just acquired the machine and the manual is vague on the procedure.
There are 2 sprockets, little one on drive motor? or big one called "Cluster sprocket" big one has two sprockets made onto a single "cluster" which one are you trying to remove?
Big one. The cluster sprocket. Down to getting shaft that goes thru sprockets out.The bearings are gone on it.
The shaft in the diagram three different styles of shaft retainers, the one at bottom of the page is the upgrade replacement, all others obsolete, figuring out which shaft is the fun part
ok. Thank you for the images. I will work from there. Glad you take the time to help me!
If either of you guys are still active on forum- I just bought a Mustang 960. Cluster sprocket bearings are trashed - previous owner ran very low on oil. I'm having trouble getting shaft removed. Manual says- Remove outer bolt (it was already broken), then drive shaft through to inside of machine. Is this correct? It is NOT cooperative Help appreciated
Here is what I did. Lift boom up and securely brace it. Remove seat and metal plates on inside. And all the stuff in the way. Remove wheel. Then follow the manual. It's not an easy job but doable. Take a magnet and clean it out thoroughly before you replace it.
TO pmunderwood and others. Im doing the same repair. Got it apart but need to find replacement parts. Do any of you have a source for the sprocket cluster and all the associated bearings and spacers?
Hi Steve I got my full set of parts about 2 weeks ago. I've been too busy to even get back to my shop. Hopefully have time tomorrow or Sunday. Are you in Medford MA? or somewhere else? I called several places, but finally got some great response and service from Mark R.S. Rental Equipment Co., Inc P.O. BOX 350 Somerset,MA 02726 Tel: 508-672-1051 Fax: 508-677-4154 EMail: [email protected]
Hey pmunderwood Thanks for the tip. Ill give Mark a call. Im on the west coast in Kirkland Wa. Are you replacing the cluster on both sides? apetad's pdf looks like the sets are in pairs.
I'm only replacing RIGHT side. He sold me a single cluster sprocket, shaft, bearings, spacers... the whole setup. The dummy I purchased machine from ran the oil very low (barely 1.5 gallons in chain case, specs are 4 gallons) Other side is lower on oil but didn't seem to have any damage.
This looks like a fairly recent thread. Do either of you guys have a bead on a new 80HK chain, the big one between the axles? I had a cluster sprocket bearing failure and it took out my chain as well. I was able to find websites with all other pieces that I need, but unable to find anything for the chain. Thanks ahead for any input!
I bought mine thru Applies Industrial Technologies in Everett Washington (425) 259-5585. The chain came from a specialty supplier in the area. I wasn't able to order direct from that supplier. The tip about the chain came from a friend who is has and maintains heavy equipment. You could probably ask any dirt hauler/excavator in you area where they get their parts. Other parts came from Tyler Rental in Tacoma Wa (360) 748-3440 I expect Tyler can get the chain also.
OOps Tyler is not in Tacoma.
Applied industrial took 3 or 4 days to get the chain. I took the broken chain in so they could measure it. Since youre so close, give them a call. I asked for Scott
Steve grant, do you remember how long the chain was? I was hoping to not pull the chain off of the back sprocket so I can use it to pull the new chain around. The old chain unfortunately broke in multiple places...
Good idea re: using the old chain to pull the new chain around. It took forever to get the new one on. I no longer have the receipt. But I do have the old chain. I'll have to go by the yard to measure it. say tomorrow some time.
That would be great! Thanks
Try ATS Clayton, Inc. Phone 513-860-2820. They are in Hamilton, Ohio.
My old chain length is 129.25" the sales tech added a link making the replacement chain 130+" If its too long you may need to remove a link. We ran out of adjuster space before reaching the proper deflection /sag. Our skid steer model is 960, serial # 3619292.
Awesome, thank you for the info!
Awesome! Thank you.
How did you guys make out with repair? I haven't been on the site in a long time. My Mustang 960 is a side project and was very low on my priority list. Finally got cluster sprocket replaced last fall. I forgot to tension the hydraulic drive motor afterwards - lots of chain skip on Right side (my fault) Fixed the Right Drive motor tension just this past April. My neighbor helped me adjust the tension on the outer #80 drive chains when I had trouble with the exterior adjustment blocks, threaded bolts, jam nuts. I finally got interior of cab back together. Shakedown ride on Tuesday June 13, 2023 Full fluid and filter service for the whole machine. Then pushed some dirt. Stacked some dirt. Pushed some brush and trees. EXTREMELY SATISFIED to get this working after watching this damn 6,000 lb paperweight in the yard for several months over the winter. Need to get the Mustang 960 adapter plate to SSL to get some new attachments, then some newer tires, work lights, maybe fix the heater before winter... hopefully, probably...
Hello. I'm looking for some parts for my Mustang 940 Skid steer. Part number 370-32169 CLUSTER SPROCKET Part number 320-32661 SHAFT, CLUSTER. I live in Australia and I'm having trouble finding these parts and Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Andrew Ede
TUTT BRYANT EQUIPMENT Tutt Bryant Group - Construction Equipment Supplier Tutt Bryant Group is a construction equipment supplier providing equipment sales & hire, parts & services, cranes, heavy lifting & transport, and engineering. www.tuttbryant.com.au