Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Threw a track, advice needed.

kelly mt ยท 2013-10-07 19:35

I walked the track off the sprocket on my H-W C14. Ideas on the best way to get it back on. Thanks, PK.

Replies9
  1. #1mitch5042013-10-07 22:02

    Sell the hoe. Now, if you're going to be stubborn and not follow that advice: make sure you have plenty of slack in the track before you start. I don't know how far off it is now. Is it just off the top of the sprocket, or were you turning and got all the way out from under the sprocket? I have done this a bunch of times, exactly how depends on the exact circumstances. If it is a long way off you may be able to swing the back of the undercarriage back close by putting the bucket down. With a hoe I usually end up using a chain off the bucket to pull the track while walking that sprocket to work it back on.

  2. #2kelly mt2013-10-07 22:24

    Thanks for the reply. The track is still in place, the cogs are just off the sprocket and half the track is still in place on the rollers.

  3. #3IronworkerFXR2013-10-07 22:36

    Don't watch gold rush

  4. #4kelly mt2013-10-07 22:51

    To Late. Already done it. PK

  5. #5spitzair2013-10-08 11:11

    Does your machine have the older style shovel pads or the newer style dozer tracks? On my C12HD I have the old style shovel pads, they are just individual pads pinned together, and I think on that thing it would be easiest to simply pull one of the pins out to split the track, get everything put over the sprocket and then pin it back together...

  6. #6kelly mt2013-10-08 11:21

    I have the shovel pads. I see the track pin is retained by what looks like a small pin. How does that come out?

  7. #7spitzair2013-10-08 12:18

    Hang on, I'll go have a look at my machine right now, take some pictures and get right back to you... Ok I'm back with pictures. On my machine there is a bolt and square nut that holds the pins in. They're probably seized solid so I'd just cut one off with the torch, hammer it out, fix the track, put a new bolt in and go excavating! Hope that helps. Here's some pictures...

  8. #8kelly mt2013-10-08 16:20

    Thanks spitzair. My tracks look like yours except they have a small split pin across the track pin face. My manual shows the bolt set up you have. I did get the track back on. I picked up the machine to get the weight off the track and took a bar and moved the track over until the cogs were lined up with the rollers. I then rotated the track and it walked on to the sprocket. These tracks were seriously loose. How tight do you run yours? My manual doesn't have any thing on track adjustment. PK

  9. #9spitzair2013-10-09 01:19

    Glad it was an easy fix. I don't run mine all too tight, maybe an inch or 2 of slack between the two carrier rollers, kinda like a modern machine... Hopefully your track adjusters aren't seized up like mine, that always makes adjusting the tracks lots of fun!