I just removed the engine from my 420 backhoe. Replacing shuttle gears. This tractor also had a problem with the manual clutch hanging up in the disengaged position. That I attribute to lack of grease on the sliding portion of the bearing. Now, this t'o bearing ate into the throwout yoke pretty badly. As that bearing rides on the outer clutch shaft (always engaged for pulley drive gear) I wonder if the bearing should be installed with the rotating surface toward the throwout yoke. In other words, opposite of the typical automotive installation. The only way that yoke could have gotten ate up the way it did is if were binding on the rotating outer clutch shaft. The arms on the pressure plate look great. Anybody know?
older case tractors does go in backwards of most all tractors/cars as you described,,, you should see indications on the throw out collar to determine which way fits those notches
jimg, My throwout bearing is torn up pretty bad from galling agains the throwout yoke. The bearing part is fine, turns like a new one. That's what was so strange about this. I'll look at again tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
If this is the correct drawing does it help any ??
This picture might be of the 480/580 maybe. No, mine uses a stamped yoke, like an old GM product. The problem is, the PTO shaft the bearing rides on rotates always turns with the clutch pressure plate/flywheel. The t/o bearing is not keyed to any set position. So it needs to be free to rotate against the throwout yoke, opposite of say, the family automobile which has the t/o bearing mounted on a fixed "cone". I'm going to install it in this way, but as I'm not yet willing to pay 120$ for a photocopied service manual, I'll just use my best judgement, which is nearly always right. Thanks for the help, T.
This manual is $59.95 with free shipping on ebay . It should show the parts orientation. here is the link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-VINTAG...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item58a0aab2d7
I've got the online parts manual, but the drawing is sort of crude and the bearing orientation is not clear. It's just shaped like a donut, no flanges or slots. One e-supplier site shows any most part breakdowns you could want but they don't service the 420b. Maybe Angela over at KwikParts can email a picture to me from their catalog. The good thing is, I've got plenty of time to sort this out while I wait for my synchro and input shaft for the shuttle. I'll thank Case for using the same (on direct drive) input shaft, synchro and shuttle gears on up to some of the 580 series. I'm a paintin' right now. Had a bit of a time matching up the paint, but it looks like New Cat (gasp!) yellow is about right. When I get this straightened out, I'll be sure to let the rest of the world of 420'b's know it.
The older style as you describe goes bearing back and the tang on the face of the bearing carrier was to stay engaged with the fingers via the pressure spring that kept it pushed front, The parts illustration shown above is for the later conventional style where the throwout assembly rides on a tube pressed into the front bearing carrier in the bell housing. Your bearing rotates with the shaft. Mel.
Well it sure makes a mess when installed backwards. My clutch isn't very old at all. I wonder how many of these were installed backwards during a clutch change. It seems you have to pay some attention also to the clutch pedal return spring (mine had none) as the clutch pedal is long and very heavy.That throwout yoke is pretty pricey, too. I'm tempted to just use my mig and weld up the faces and then hone them back down to shape. Well, thanks for the help on this, guys.